Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2014 Running

rfrankr

Dang it. I ran out of gas 3.6 miles into an about 5 mile run. I called my wife to come pick me up. I should have had a couple slices of bread or something beforehand. Started out 97 and 40ish mins into it I was 53. I was pooped. I was done.

Caravaggio

rfrankr, it may not be bread that you need. Try electrolytes. It is also possible that your legs were just tired from the running you've been doing recently.

Wonderful runs last week, especially last weekend. Beautiful weather, and I could still wear shorts. Two more weeks before the half-marathon, and I still don't feel fully prepared.

Caravaggio

Last week of training before the half marathon this Saturday.  For last Sunday's long run, no added carbs needed during the run itself although I did have a small cup of yogurt and tea before the run because I was hungry. I'm still not sure if I'd need added fuel during the race itself so I'll be ready with some cut orange or banana (but I find cut bananas messier to eat while running).

After this week's half marathon, light running next week to rest my legs, and then I'll start training for a mid-March full marathon.

Caravaggio

I did the half-marathon. Finished it.

BUT I did not make the cut-off time. I just did not have the energy. My husband was shocked with my time. I was shocked with my performance. It felt like I've hit the wall, although I'm sure I hadn't  - how in the world can anyone hit the wall at a half-marathon? I've never heard of it. 

I'll be reviewing my training log and fueling strategy, and then compare them with my previous ones, and see what went wrong. I'm still pissed. 

It also poured with rain in the middle of the race - which should have made me run faster (like most runners, I run faster in cold weather even if it's raining). 

Gotta go out for a walk now. 

graham44

I did the half-marathon. Finished it.

BUT I did not make the cut-off time. I just did not have the energy. My husband was shocked with my time. I was shocked with my performance. It felt like I've hit the wall, although I'm sure I hadn't  - how in the world can anyone hit the wall at a half-marathon? I've never heard of it. 

I'll be reviewing my training log and fueling strategy, and then compare them with my previous ones, and see what went wrong. I'm still pissed. 

It also poured with rain in the middle of the race - which should have made me run faster (like most runners, I run faster in cold weather even if it's raining). 

Gotta go out for a walk now. 

Hey...you finished! The hard work and the health benefits are in the training so be proud and happy that you accomplished something that most people never will!

As far as hitting the wall/having a bad race...anyone that has ever raced has been there. Sometimes it just doesnt "all come together" on the day you want it to!

graham44

Dang it. I ran out of gas 3.6 miles into an about 5 mile run. I called my wife to come pick me up. I should have had a couple slices of bread or something beforehand. Started out 97 and 40ish mins into it I was 53. I was pooped. I was done.

rfrankr...just a thought. Sometimes when your training hard you just get fried. Last race I was training for some of my training runs were total "shuffles"...I couldnt move I was so tired lol. Make sure you're mixing in some good, solid recovery days. LIke REAL easy on the legs. 

Like caravaggio said...try to carry some sort of electrolyte/carb race food with you. GU/ chomps...whatever. You an make your own too and just take something in half way thru a run...you might not need it but its a nice physical and psychological boost during a hard run : )

graham44

oh yeah...got my orthodics. trying to break them in over next cpl weeks.hopefully will take some pressure of my toes and balls of feet and make running (semi) enjoyable again : )

Caravaggio

Autumn (much like spring) is activities season along my river. Aside from baseball games, football practices (including American football) and other sports, walking and running have been especially active. A couple of weekends ago, they had a 50-km walk fest (favorite among the elderly). Last weekend, there were a half-marathon (Sat), marathon (Sunday) and PhaT Run (Monday - which was a holiday here). Two weeks from now, there will be another marathon.

Yesterday, during my walk, I came across the PhaT Run event. It looked like everyone was having fun. PhaT Run combines photography and running. You run either a 5-km or a 10-km with a camera, which includes a mobile phone, and earn points for each photo you take. I initially thought that PhaT Run was for "fat run" to promote weight loss. But one volunteer explained that (assuming that my understanding is correct) that it stands for something like "Photo and Take while you Run".

Graham44, I just kept going. The race was not a road race so there was no road to reopen to traffic. The nice thing was that the staff who didn't have to wait for me, waited for me. My embarrassed self initially thought that it didn't matter that no one was there when I finished, but it felt SO, SO good to have people cheering for me when I finally crossed the finish line.

rfrankr

So I did my 10k. I made it in 1:10. Which is great for me since that was five minutes faster than the previous times I ran that course. Not speedy by any means but hey I made it all the way. Now I'm kinda looking forward to the half next year but I'll have to figure out how to get my hip to cooperate with all that running. I wonder if they have ace bandages that big? Lol

Caravaggio

So I did my 10k. I made it in 1:10. Which is great for me since that was five minutes faster than the previous times I ran that course. Not speedy by any means but hey I made it all the way. Now I'm kinda looking forward to the half next year but I'll have to figure out how to get my hip to cooperate with all that running. I wonder if they have ace bandages that big? Lol

Congratulations! 1:10 for a 10K is a decent time. What's more it's better than your previous times!

rfrankr, do you do exercises for runners (apart from running)? I spend about 15 minutes most days doing different simple exercises, such as pulling a towel with my toes, squats, lunges (which I really don't like to do), and hip-related exercises (you need healthy hips to run). I do yoga, at least 1x a week, or if I'm busy, 1x every 2 weeks.

About bandages, I'm seen runners taped from shoulder to feet. I often wonder why. If I need to be bandaged like a mummy, then it's a sign that I should back off and not even race.

rfrankr

I just signed up for a 5k this Saturday! I just checked my pace from a 5k I did last March and, although I can definitely go farther now, I think I've slowed down. I've been told I'm a bit slower on the bases during softball games too. Is that a normal tradeoff?

Btw Caravaggio I don't do much in the way of exercises other than running. That'll have to change soon if I think I'm going to do a half.

graham44

I just signed up for a 5k this Saturday! I just checked my pace from a 5k I did last March and, although I can definitely go farther now, I think I've slowed down. I've been told I'm a bit slower on the bases during softball games too. Is that a normal tradeoff?

Btw Caravaggio I don't do much in the way of exercises other than running. That'll have to change soon if I think I'm going to do a half.

Its too late for the upcoming 5k but mix in some speed workouts. Look up some training plans for the 1/2. A lot will mix in "speed days". I think I got slower as I went longer too. I think if you run long and slow all the time you get real good at running long and slow. yesterday I did a 7mile slow run. Today I did 4 miles of interval/sprints...they say the only way to get faster is to run faster...lots of info on the web about it, but mix in some interval and high intensity training. But keep it fun, and heathy...thats the most important thing.

rfrankr

Race time in a half hour. Time for bread. One thing I love about running is bread. I love bread. Nutty seedy bread. Nothing on it. Just bread. I used to just sit and eat half a loaf watching tv. Cant do that anymore. Now to keep my BG from dropping too low while running I eat a slice or two. I found about 30 mins before start works good. Timing's everything.

rfrankr

I guess 5ks, 10ks are rarely exactly those distances. So it took me about 3 mins longer to finish this one compared to my previous 5k but I was a couple secs/mile faster. Sounds great to me. Although I'm still pretty slow compared to most of the other guys out there. And the guy with the stroller kicked my a**! Lol. The bread thing worked good. I think I started at 110 and ended 105ish. 20 or so mins later it was 113 then dropped back down. I'm a happy mid to back of the packer.

rfrankr

I guess I'm not ready for a half yet. 8 miles into my planned 10-13 mile run I ran out of gas. Walked back home. BG was good when I got home so I think I was just pooped. Plus it was kinda warm and sunny out. 75 degs. Oh well. On the plus side my legs feel great right now. Even though I didn't make my goal, they still feel like I accomplished something.

graham44

I guess 5ks, 10ks are rarely exactly those distances. So it took me about 3 mins longer to finish this one compared to my previous 5k but I was a couple secs/mile faster. Sounds great to me. Although I'm still pretty slow compared to most of the other guys out there. And the guy with the stroller kicked my a**! Lol. The bread thing worked good. I think I started at 110 and ended 105ish. 20 or so mins later it was 113 then dropped back down. I'm a happy mid to back of the packer.

yep me too...thing to remember is the guys that are fast at 50 were probably fast at 30. They did a study of triathletes and found that people who started them in their 20's-30's only lost about 5-10 mins in each event between by the time they were 55. So most of these guys were already fast...like they ran 5min miles in high school cross country. You and I arent eeeever going to catch them lol.

So im with you, my goal is to shave a few seconds a mile for as many years as I can, and hopefully you and I( and everyone else from the cyclists to the weight lifters) are here clapping each other on the back when we are 70 and thrilled that we only lost a minute or two on our miles by then : )

Caravaggio

It's been raining here since yesterday. I had a scheduled run yesterday and was glad I did it instead of postponing it for today, because it's so much colder and wetter this morning. That's the disadvantage to training for an early spring marathon, I have to train through winter.

rfrankr, don't feel bad until an old man kicks your a**! That has happened to me, more than 1x.

rfrankr

rfrankr, don't feel bad until an old man kicks your a**! That has happened to me, more than 1x.

Lol. I won't feel bad. It already happens. I race me not others so I'm not worried. Lol

Have you figured out what happened in your half?

Caravaggio

Lol. I won't feel bad. It already happens. I race me not others so I'm not worried. Lol

Have you figured out what happened in your half?

Yup. (PS: I meant "that an old man", not "until an old man", kicks your a**) 

1.  I messed my training when I went very low carb for 8 weeks - had no energy for running. I thought that when I regained some energy after week 1 that the energy will flow, well, it didn't happen. Eight weeks of trying meant my running (speed and training) suffered. I had to increase my carbs (by not much, though - from 50 to betwen 70-80 a day), which gave me energy, but by that time I had 2 months left to train properly.

2.  When I tried to catch up with the training, I decided not to reduce my long runs leading up to the half. My legs were tired when I got the starting line.

3.  Silly me, I decided that since I was not eating carbs before and during my long runs, that I could do the same during the race. I had every intention of eating something, then ditched that plan at the last minute. Result? I had no energy when I needed it.

4.  Bad stomach. I still don't understand why my tummy rumbled towards the end of the race. I had to make an emergency stop at a portable toilet.

Despite, this, I have learned one thing: I can actually do easy long runs (short of a half-marathon) without having to fuel up with carbs before or after, and it seems that 70-80 grams of carbs a day give me enough energy to do most of my runs while training for a half. I don't know how that will work when I train for a full one, which I've started doing. But since I'm at the early phase, I'm not putting in the miles yet. So, I still see no need to up my carbs from 70-80 gram, or to try redistributing my intake so that I can eat something during very long runs. We'll see.

rfrankr

Despite, this, I have learned one thing: I can actually do easy long runs (short of a half-marathon) without having to fuel up with carbs before or after, and it seems that 70-80 grams of carbs a day give me enough energy to do most of my runs while training for a half. I don't know how that will work when I train for a full one, which I've started doing. But since I'm at the early phase, I'm not putting in the miles yet. So, I still see no need to up my carbs from 70-80 gram, or to try redistributing my intake so that I can eat something during very long runs. We'll see.

Have I asked you what your BG does during long runs?

Caravaggio

Have I asked you what your BG does during long runs?

I've recently written a blog post about this.

It depends on many factors, usually has to do with what I eat and how strenuous the run is. But if I go out on an empty stomach and it's a nice easy long run, my BG tends to go up between 5-10 points. If it's a hot day, add another 5-10 points. That said, the number goes down after 30 min. to 1 hour and stays down. Exception is if I eat Clif Bar while out on a long run - the jump in my BG is mighty high (that's why I've given up on Clif Bars a long time ago).

Caravaggio

I've started training for an early spring (or late winter, depends on how you look at it) marathon. It's been a bit difficult lately because of work but the advantage of signing up for a race is it helps push one out of the bed when winter has arrived.

75 minutes of weekend run today. Not that long but I'm slowly building my mileage up. Next were, I start fartlek training. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.