Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrnEyes84

Legs and ankles swollen

GrnEyes84

Does anyone know or have any ideas on what to do about swollen legs and ankles? Mine have been so bad the past two days at work and when I got home and i was even sitting all day at work. I have pics I will post. I don't know what to do about them at all. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Diabetes forums

post-38389-139628788193_thumb.jpg

post-38389-139628788195_thumb.jpg

rubidoux

Aww, I'm sorry! Pregnancy swelling sucks. I was swollen for about the last four months of my second pregnancy (none with my first until about the moment I delivered, and then I blew up!).

I don't have a lot of advice except that my doctor told me not to stop eating salt or even to eat less. I only half believed him, but then at one point I got stuck at the mcdonald's play area (only place in town I could watch older son play w out having to move myself) and what's a pregnant woman to do? There is just no resisting mcdonald's fries, so I got a LARGE, of course, and then proceeded to pour at least one packet of salt over it. And I swear to you I could see my legs going down!

Have your doctors seen it yet?

GrammaBear

Talk to your doctor and ask if lightweight compression stockings would be permitted. They might help relieve the swelling especially while you're at work.

GrnEyes84

I haven't seen the doctor yet. I have an appt tomorrow and will ask them about what to do. I am really hoping that this isn't signs for the start of preeclampsia, and if it is bedrest here I come for the next 5 months of this pregnancy. That's going to suck but I gotta do what I gotta do.

They said I was at high risk for preeclampsia and getting it early. Just hoping that's not the case! Keeping my fingers crossed!

rubidoux

Cripes. I hope not too. I did have pre-e during my swollen pg but I was swollen for months w no other sign of pre-e. I went in for an amnio to check lung maturity on tues afternoon and was fine but when I showed up for my scheduled c the next morning my bp was high and protein in my urine. So the doc thought the swelling was all due to the pre-e but it never caused a problem. So I think it can be all over the board in severity and then there's always the chance you don't get it at all.

Tanikit

You are still quite early in pregnancy for swelling - definitely get it checked out. You could also buy a blood pressure monitor to check yourself at home (I did this in both my pregnancies as I did have rising blood pressure in the first pregnancy and I got stressed at appointments so it was better at home). Definitely lower salt, but keep drinking water, get some exercise and lie with your feet raised - put a pillow under them or something.

samuraiguy
Definitely lower salt, but keep drinking water, get some exercise and lie with your feet raised - put a pillow under them or something.

I had this problem when I was heavier and was told--and it helped--to lie down with my ankles raised higher than my heart, especially at night.

jwags

4 of my pregnancies were in the hot summer and I had terrible ankle swelling. They basically told me to lie with my legs elevated and eliminate salt. Also keep an eye of blood preessure.

Lizzie G

is it hot where you live? are you on your feet a lot in your job? in my first pregnancy my feel swelled up early as it was hot and i was walking a lot. skeep your feet elevated as much as possible and keep cool. continue to have your regular check ups and if it is the sign of anything to worry about it will be picked up (but it probably isnt!) and your healthcare team will give you appropriate advice and medication

GrnEyes84

Saw the doctor today for the swelling. She said it doesn't seem like it is pre-e and that it might have something to do with my heart or my kidneys. They did bloodwork today to check things. Everything looked good as far as I saw. My creatinine is down even more than it was but my bnp on my heart is high and I have +2 protein in my urine. I have no clue what that means but it is higher than it has been in the past. I'm sure if the doc sees any problems she will have someone contact me. She did order another echo on my heart just to be sure.

Spent all day at the hospital which sucked but on a good note I have my anatomy scan tomorrow and get to find out what the baby is! Yay!

Oh and no it's not hot where I live and I have been sitting at work and still get the bad swelling. I have been watching salt since I became pregnant as well docs told me too. I've also been drinking lots of water. I think I need to just stick to that and nothing else. It seems everything has salt in it nowadays.

Lady Imp

Sitting also will cause swelling...they tell pregnant women who work at a desk to keep their feet elevated like on a stack of books or something, and get up every hour or so for a 5-minute walk around to prevent pooling. Make sure you're staying hydrated...funny story, the more dehydrated you are, the more your body will retain water, contributing to the edema. When you get home, put your feet up. Everything I've read on the subject says to elevate them above your heart but seriously, that's like impossible if you want to sit upright and aren't a contortionist. It also helps to keep them elevated on a couple of pillows when you sleep. But don't be sitting all day, it will only make the swelling worse, not to mention put you at risk for blood clots. Getting up and moving around is your best bet.

That being said though, +2 protein really isn't a good sign. However, most doctors don't look at feet swelling as a sign of pre-e, as it happens in almost every pregnancy (my feet have been ballooning since about week 10). It's uncomfortable and it sucks, but very rarely is it an issue. You're also a touch early to even be considering a pre-e diagnosis, which is very likely why your doctors aren't concerned over that just yet. That being said though, your protein levels are a concern IMO, which can be an indicator of kidney malfunction. Make note of how often you go to the bathroom - decreased urine output is a sign of kidney issues. Additionally, even though you're still early yet, given your high protein levels, keep an eye on your hands and face - if you start seeing sudden swelling of either, get yourself to the hospital. Swelling in both of those is far less common and is a more accurate indicator of pre-e. I've been neurotically checking the fit of my wedding band to make sure my hands aren't swelling lately.

The fact of the matter is, all OBs in the States tell every diabetic that they're at a very high risk for pre-e, which is true, but it's still very uncommon to get. Keep an eye out just in case though...my "hey, you're starting to show signs" diagnosis came as a COMPLETE shock, I had no idea anything was even wrong until I stepped on a scale on Tuesday and saw that I had gained 3 pounds over the last 4 days (another hallmark sign of pre-e).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.