Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lizzie G

non stress test?

Lizzie G

hi

a lot of you ladies from across the pond speak of "non stress tests" which is a term we dont use here in uk. im wondering if its the same monitoting i have started?

as i opted not to be induced @ 38 weeks im having twice weekly monitoring. this consists of placenta doppler checks, and the foetal monitoring. the monitoring just does a trace which gives up to an hour to reach a 10/10 score based on heart rate and movements (but takes more like 10 mins max!).

is this the same thing?

Tanikit

As far as I understood it it is the same thing - they are checking for your contractions, baby's movements and so on while you are lying still and not stressing you or the baby out with anything else (hence the non stress test - nothing has been done they are just monitoring you) It is basically the same as how they monitor when you are in labour - but that would be the stress part.

Lady Imp

What my NSTs have consisted of is me sitting on a bed with something hooked up to the belly to monitor the baby's heartrate while I evaluated integrals only to discover that I can evaluate it just fine, but I can't do the basic arithmetic that follows. Joking aside, what they look for is two increases in heartrate over a 20-minute period...second child, and I have no idea why this is significant. All it really is is an extended heart monitoring to make sure that they're doing what the baby's heart is functioning correctly, since things being off are indicators of problems. It typically isn't used as a diagnostic tool, what usually winds up happening is if you have something funky that can't be explained (i.e. the baby moves or you shift positions or something), then they'll put you into an ultrasound room and do a little more digging there.

Lizzie G

all sound like variations on the same theme....

imp mommy: keep meaning to reply on other thread. whats the news?

also was going to say im total opposite of you at night i need bucket loads of insulin.

baby is having a mental time today, hes been going nuts for past hour. hopefully trying to find the exit lol.

todays calorie consumption roughly 50,000 so far, and level of physical activity, zero. number of chins: about 5. look forward to being able to git in my maternity jeans after the event....urgh.

Lady Imp

No news yet, went in this morning for blood work, will find out more when I go in for my half dozen OB appts tomorrow. So far, I'm taking it as being "no news is good news." I'm sure that if my urine protein was off the charts I would have gotten a phone call. Ankles don't exist anymore, so I'm putting them up, making some popcorn, and watching The Great Gatsby.

Lizzie G

sounds like an awesome way to spend an afternoon. iv never seen the film of great gatsby just read the book years ago. i watched some utter **** on tv today including a birth show from your side of the pond. i was absolutely incredulous that this woman not only had a whole bunch of people present, but skyped it all with her aunt. AND when it got to the pushing stage her mom moved the laptop to give a better view! people are weird.

let us know how tomoro goes. i have my toddler tomoro (hes continuing nursery 4 days until baby born then dropping to two). im supposed to enjoy those days but the poor child is spending far too much time lounging around the house....

Lady Imp

I really don't understand women who insist on having a million people in their delivery room. My ex mother in law got upset with me that I didn't want anyone in the birthing room other than my ex. She threw a hissy fit about not being able to see "her grandchild" and how she had a right to be in the room. The hospital staff was like "umh no, actually, you don't." I don't get the people who want to videotape it either....why would you want to watch that??? I mean, videotaping the conception is one thing, but the birth? No thanks.

Lizzie G

its just weird. im sure my mil would want to be there if she didnt live in canada but i dont think she would push the issue. i see it as a very personal thing between the people that conceived the child, and even then beforehand i told my husband head end only (thank goodness: episiostomy plus forceps isnt exactly the beautiful natural childbirth folk have in mind).

i also couldnt think of anything worse than people hanging around the hospital waiting, its so invasive (again, especially inlaws).

your ex mil sounds awful.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.