Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sesomkb

Taking control

Sesomkb

Hello,

I went a few weeks ago for my A1C results. I was a 7.7, 186 average sugar. Doctor wanted me to try diet since my wife and I just started weight watchers. Prescribed me a monitor and asked me to record results and come back in a month to see how things are going.

Well so far they have been great. My average for the past two weeks has been 104. Highest has been 122. I've started exercising and stopped gorging on food and sweets each day. Maybe this high number was a wake up call that stopping for two candy bars on they way home and eating the whole basket of chips at the Mexican restaurant is not something someone should be doing regardless if they are a diabetic or not.

My doctor didn't want to disgnose me as diabetic just yet. He said it may be that your fat and just eating the wrong foods each and every day. As he said have a piece of cake just don't eat a piece at every meal till it's gone lol.

Either way I got this under control.

Thanks

jwags

It is my feeling that an HbA1c of 7.7 definitely indicates a problem. Average HbA1c is 4.0-5.2. Even if you were eating the wrong foods, there are many people who do that and keep a normal HbA1c. If your bgs after meals go up too high it indicates a slow insulin response. Many of us can maintain normal bgs when we restrict carbs and exercise but we are still diabetic.

Toolbox

My doctor diagnosed me at 7.5 A1C, no questions asked. If you need life insurance, you better get it before any official diagnosis! Once (or if) he diagnoses you, game over for insurance...unless you are a lottery winner..

Hooterville

Congratulations on bringing your numbers down. Good job. I'm curious, when are you testing? Fasting first thing in the morning? Before meals? 1 or 2 hours after meals?

Nice (I guess) of your doctor to not make the big D diagnosis but, don't let that fool you. You are diabetic. Non-diabetics can eat all that you were eating (and more) and their pancreas can keep up.

Ama0jack88

Congratulations, & stay happy with successfully good health & stay consious about diet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.