Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kld89

Please help! Require urgent advice!

kld89

Hi everyone,

I have been a T1 Diabetic for almost 20 years. I have excellent control (HbA1C usually around 5.8%).

Husband and I found out that I am pregnant earlier this week. We would be absolutely over the moon, however are a little stressed, as I have recently started having pains in my joints as well as other symptoms, and it is suspected that I have an autoimmune connective tissue disease (definitely vasculitis, and most likely a cross-over with Lupus too). The Rheumatologist wants to treat me using low-dose steroids - I am unsure if he wants to do this for the entire pregnancy or just until my symptoms are under control, however it is likely that it will be for quite some time.

I am obviously reluctant to use steroids with my diabetes, as I know the havoc they can wreak on blood sugar levels, but there aren't really many other alternatives that I know of, and I think that leaving my body to attack itself would be just as dangerous for the baby.

I guess I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience? Has anyone been on low-dose steroids for a significant portion or all of their pregnancy? How were your BSLs?

I feel as though I'm fighting a losing battle at the moment. The odds seem to be really stacked against me and I just don't know what to do.

Thanks!

rubidoux

Oh man, that's terrible timing! You should be sitting back and enjoying your pregnancy. :( Congrats, btw!

I don't have much experience with steroids and none during pregnancy, but if I were in your shoes, I think I'd do some reading about the paleo autoimmune protocol. I don't know a lot about it. I just got interested in it recently because it restricts nightshades and I'm coming to the realization that I have some sort of issue with nightshades. But I know that lupus (although not really t1) is one of the autoimmune conditions that is supposed to be improved by the protocol. I think it basically just removes foods that cause inflammation. I don't know if this is likely to be of help, but it couldn't hurt to look into it. Also, there have been some cases of children w t1 who were put on gluten free diets immediately upon dx and then have not needed insulin for a number of years -- and gluten is one of the foods that is removed in the protocol. I think eggs, too. It doesn't look like the funnest diet in the world, to tell you the truth, but if it helped it'd be worth it, I'm sure.

I hope that someone comes along with a more concrete answer for you!

JanetP

Hi, I'm not a T1, either and have never carried a pregnancy full term, but there are alternative things you can take for inflammation and joint pain. Several people on the forum use them. Since I don't have personal experience with them, I won't say what they are, but they are easy enough to look up and talk to your doc about them.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the pregnancy. There are several T1 moms on here who will be a good resource for you.

Brookie

Hello, I have been a type one diabetic for 29 years and have had multiple pregnancies. I was on a high dose of steroids during one of my pregnancies due to an allergic reaction to medicine. It obviously did make my blood sugars go a bit out-of-control. My suggestion and/or advice would be if you need to control your pain with a low dose of steroids do it. It will just really require you to monitor your blood sugars more. And also to know that you're going to require more insulin. As long as you can make the necessary adjustments and work closely with your doctor it may be more advantageous to you to try and control any pain you're experiencing. And unless you are a type one diabetic you just won't get it.

Lizzie G
Hello, I have been a type one diabetic for 29 years and have had multiple pregnancies. I was on a high dose of steroids during one of my pregnancies due to an allergic reaction to medicine. It obviously did make my blood sugars go a bit out-of-control. My suggestion and/or advice would be if you need to control your pain with a low dose of steroids do it. It will just really require you to monitor your blood sugars more. And also to know that you're going to require more insulin. As long as you can make the necessary adjustments and work closely with your doctor it may be more advantageous to you to try and control any pain you're experiencing. And unless you are a type one diabetic you just won't get it.

congratulations brookie, lovely news! do you know what you are having? iv just had my second boy on feb 10th! xxx

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.