Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teamhardy

Do I really need meds?

Teamhardy

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with GD. My levels barely made the cutoff. Fasting cutoff was 95, I was right at 95. 1 hr cutoff was 180, I was at 181. All other levels were normal. My 1 hr GTT test levels were 138 and the cutoff to have to take the 3 hour was 140.. I guess my doc was being overly cautious.

Anyways, I've been pricking myself for 3 weeks 4x/day, before breakfast, and after every meal. My fasting levels have gone over 95 only twice, but usually hover between 80-88. I still haven't figured out how to lower that number despite several attempts with different combinations of nighttime snacks. ALL of my 1 hour post meal numbers have been under 120, and generally are even under 110. My breakfast and lunch numbers are always under 110 and mostly in the 90's. My post dinner numbers are usually between 90-115, but mostly in the lower range.

According to the American Academy of Obstetrics and Gynecology your fasting levels should be under 95, and 1 hour post prandials should be under 130 and 2 hr under 120.

Why is she trying to put me on meds if my numbers are within normal range?? I'm beyond frustrated as it seems to me that she is making up her own stricter standards and in doing so is only causing additional unnecessary stress on me. And unfortunately I don't have the option if requesting another Doc due to my location.

I just feel like I shouldn't even be doing this and now I'm being threatened with having a c-section due to 'larger than normal' baby, etc and it's really starting to just piss me off as my other 3 children were also large and I didn't have GD with any of them..

Bountyman

Remember, a GTT puts a LOT of glucose in you, something you don't do normally. If you're watching your diet and you like your numbers...I'd caution on the side of NO medications that are going to be passed into your baby's bloodstream. If your numbers start rising to where you feel medications are needed...then make that decision. It's your body and your child...not your doctor's.

JuliaDay2013

I agree with Bounty. I'm sure your dr has had a bad experience and is protecting her own behind. As long as you eat lower carb and do gentle exercise daily, things should be fine. You know yourself best.

James Marron

It is a big issue but have solution. Go for tratment you will definitely get cure. Health problem is very common to all human life. Take precaution and tratment are the best way to get recovery from any disease.

Cristobel

Speaking as a type 2 your numbers are good. I also would keep testing but I wouldn't take metformin unless I absolutely had to.

Good luck!

coob

Hey - I had big babies, though never had GD. I had male doctors with my first three - natural childbirth - great experiences. With the fourth, I had a female doctor who went strictly "by the book", not understanding that people don't always fit into their neat little charts. We had differing estimations on my due date (I was right, she was wrong) and she was concerned that this baby was too big - even though my three previous babies were all big - no problem delivering. To make a long story short, she talked me into inducing (big mistake)and I was basically held captive in a hospital with threats of "child endangerment" if I went home. After feeling like a caged animal for two days, with no one advocating for me, I consented to a C-section. The baby was the same size as my second child, who was the "most precipitous birth" the doctor had ever experienced. So - obviously the C-section was coerced, not necessary (not to mention it was two days before Christmas and the doctor didn't want to take the chance of having to come to work on Christmas). After that, I decided hospitals were the most dangerous place to give birth and chose home birth for our last two babies - the first of whom was 2 pounds more than the C-section baby who was "too big" to deliver.

So - hang in there! Stick to what you know! You can do this -

cottney

I had GD with my first and kept my levels about the same as yours. It was NOT recommended to me to go on any type of medication. I had a midwife in an OB office. I kept a strict diet, tested over my levels maybe twice in 3 months. I went in twice a week for weekly ultrasound and fetal monitoring. No issues ever found. 34 week US estimated baby's weight at 3-5 lbs. They wanted to induce at 35 weeks because of high blood pressure (no other risk factors for preeclampsia, no swelling, no protein in the urine, and normal blood tests). I refused and conceded at 40 weeks to be induced. 

They wanted to induce at 36 weeks because I was 'high risk' and 'could have a big baby.'

At 40 weeks, I was induced with prostaglandin gels and then AROM. Natural, unmedicated birth otherwise. She was born at 6lbs 9oz. Couldn't imagine how small she would have been at 36 weeks!

Stick to your guns. Get educated. Seek more opinions, and trust your instincts.

No reason to put something in your body unless you or baby are at risk

asmanitu

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with GD. My levels barely made the cutoff. Fasting cutoff was 95, I was right at 95. 1 hr cutoff was 180, I was at 181. All other levels were normal. My 1 hr GTT test levels were 138 and the cutoff to have to take the 3 hour was 140.. I guess my doc was being overly cautious.

Anyways, I've been pricking myself for 3 weeks 4x/day, before breakfast, and after every meal. My fasting levels have gone over 95 only twice, but usually hover between 80-88. I still haven't figured out how to lower that number despite several attempts with different combinations of nighttime snacks. ALL of my 1 hour post meal numbers have been under 120, and generally are even under 110. My breakfast and lunch numbers are always under 110 and mostly in the 90's. My post dinner numbers are usually between 90-115, but mostly in the lower range.

According to the American Academy of Obstetrics and Gynecology your fasting levels should be under 95, and 1 hour post prandials should be under 130 and 2 hr under 120.

Why is she trying to put me on meds if my numbers are within normal range?? I'm beyond frustrated as it seems to me that she is making up her own stricter standards and in doing so is only causing additional unnecessary stress on me. And unfortunately I don't have the option if requesting another Doc due to my location.

I just feel like I shouldn't even be doing this and now I'm being threatened with having a c-section due to 'larger than normal' baby, etc and it's really starting to just piss me off as my other 3 children were also large and I didn't have GD with any of them..

Hi, everybody.  I have been enjoying reading this website.  I'm really learning a lot.  The reason I've been researching is that I have diabetes and I really don't want to keep taking insulin and getting side effects.  I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on some good natural remedies for diabetes.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

asmanitu

Hi, everybody.  I have been enjoying reading this website.  I'm really learning a lot.  The reason I've been researching is that I have diabetes and I really don't want to keep taking insulin and getting side effects.  I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on some good natural remedies for diabetes.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

adiantum

There are some things we just have to accept.

If you are Type1 as your details claim, then you have no option but to take insulin

Bountyman

The reason I've been researching is that I have diabetes and I really don't want to keep taking insulin and getting side effects.  I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on some good natural remedies for diabetes.

Since you're a Type 1...you may need to do a little more research about your condition. Without insulin...you'll die!

adam1210

Diabetes can be reversed by natural home remedies, despite what some people might say.  As a 30-year diabetes sufferer, I know how frustrating it can be to find answers.  Fortunately, my diabetes is nowhere near what it once was.  Just wanted to share a something that helped me out a lot when I was struggling to get better:

Best of luck to everyone!

princesslinda

Adam, perhaps you should read up on diabetes a bit more before posting claims such as the one above.  There is no cure for either type of diabetes, though Type II's can certainly control their blood sugars by diet and lifestyle changes.  Type I's, on the other hand, make no insulin so no home remedy will help them, they must take insulin.  Your link has been removed per forum rules.

Bountyman

Diabetes can be reversed by natural home remedies, despite what some people might say.  As a 30-year diabetes sufferer, I know how frustrating it can be to find answers.

So says adam1210 who has put his diabetes condition down as "Pre-Diabetic". Is that possible? Can you go from being a "Type 2" diabetic to being a "pre-diabetic"? Isn't that like saying that a woman who had sex at the age of 20...then never having sex again for the next 30 years...is again a virgin? :hmmmm:

coob

Adam - could you have better phrased your current condition as "T2, with  Pre-diabetic numbers"?    

The reason I ask is that my doctor considers me pre-diabetic because my A1C is in the 5's, with diet/exercise.  But my original was 6.5, so I will always consider myself T2, but for now, able to stay in pre-diabetic ranges.  

adiantum

and I am too...so there Bountyman !!!

.................. Isn't that like saying that a woman who had sex at the age of 20...then never having sex again for the next 30 years...is again a virgin? :hmmmm:

GundyGirl

Hey!

My mom has severe type 2 diabetes and neuropathy as a result. She started talking Rain Soul and Rain Core. It's a seed juice. Within 4 days her pain was diminished greatly and her energy is incredible. Then she noticed her levels dropping. She use to be in the 500s and now she is lowering down to 300s and still going. That is after 5 weeks of rain soul. I HIGHLY recommend it. Lots of doctors have started offering it to patients. It's consistent at lowering sugars naturally and there are no additives. Straight juice from Black Cumin, Black Raspberry and Chardonnay grapes. If you want more info, you can text/call me. I am passionate about this stuff. My mom's life changed! 801-913-2462

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.