Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lfostercac

Questions on what to do before getting pregnant.

lfostercac

I have had diabetes for 24 years and am on an insulin pump. My A1c could be better but last one was 8.3. I would love some advice on what to expect and what I should do before getting pregnant. I am no getting any younger and would like to try to have a baby. Any suggestions or positive words??

Lady Imp

First and foremost getting the diabetes under control is crucial. Fortunately, you are in a position where you're planning on getting pregnant, and can enter it prepared. That A1c is much too high, get it down below 7.0 and keep it there. My endo prefers them to be below 7.0 for a minimum of 6 months to a year before even beginning to try. While you're working on that, work on increasing your folic acid. Easiest way to do that is to start taking a prenatal vitamin, especially since many of the foods containing folic acid are very high in carbohydrates (although it is present in some vegetables). It is pretty crucial to have it in your system before conceiving as a diabetic, as it prevents spinal bifida which is a common birth defect in diabetic pregnancies. Thirdly, start a conversation with your endocrinologist about this. The best chance for a good outcome is to keep them involved long before you conceive and keep them involved throughout the pregnancy. Talking to your OB/GYN about beforehand is a good idea as well, might want to start the conversation next time you're in for a swab.

ramon

Just like the Lady sez, you need to get waaay down on the bg which can be done with expert guidance here. There are ladies in the forum that can guide you step by step and in about 2 months you should be ready. I bet we can get you down to a 6.7 at least but I warn you that it takes effort and can be a pain in the butt and be very frustrating but once you get the hang of it, it should be smooth sailing. Do a member search on Tanikit who was in the same predicament you are. We have others here who would be glad to help I'm sure and give you all the encouragement you need. Good luck and get involved. Then comes the fun part :D

Tanikit

Hey - I had the same problem, though my A1c in May last year was 9.3 - I got it to 8.3 by August with only one month of concerted effort and by November it was 6.8 and by December 6.4. I still want to get pregnant but have been advised to wait for a pump which is taking a very long time to get hold of.

My only advice is: read these forums, test often and post about what you are doing so we can help.

There are books you can read that will help with controlling your pump, there is loads of dietary advice on here - but as a type 1 you need to find out what works for you. Set realistic goals - you should be able to get your hba1c under 7 in about 3 months if you work really hard and learn fast - while they want it below 7 for a while before getting pregnant it will depend on your situation.

Again post a lot of details so it is easier to help - what is your diet like now, when do you test, how old are you (this will determine how quickly you should start trying to get pregnant), what pump are you using, what insulin are you using in your pump, what training have you had for it, are your basal rates correct - have you done basal testing through the night or the day at all?, what are your I:C ratios and are you carb counting correctly or guessing a lot, if your pre meal values are good then what are your 2 hour post eating readings - as these readings can play a huge role in your hba1c even if your premeal values are great.

In the midst of all the diabetes - go and read some pregnancy boards, speak to people who are ttc whether diabetic or not, enjoy this time. Your whole life changes when you have a baby (I have 2 girls) so you need to enjoy these moments too even if they are slightly more stressful than when things are more straight forward.

And finally - diabetics do have healthy children even if their hba1cs are not perfect when they get pregnant (not the thing to say when asking for preconception advice) My 2 girls are doing great - the pregnancies were not great, but I love them to pieces and I want a third so it can't be all bad. Look forward to hearing your successes as you start this journey.

lfostercac

Thank you for positive words. I just got a cgm to tey to help with bs control. I am hoping in can get it down after seeing patterns on my bs with the cgm.

MIAMI2009

Hi,having an even bigger issue here :(

I m 38 and my last A1C was 12 ,so i got scared,and now i have started exercising,lower carb diet,and better insulin regimen

I am determined to get a6.5 A1C for my next one in mid June

Do you think 6 months on this A1c is enough before trying to conceive?

Or do you think I am all together way toooo old for even trying?

This makes me really sad and depressed,and hopless,hence i got to 12 !!!!

Do you think that the fact that i was only diagnosed4,5 years ago is an advantage?

Thank you!

Suffie

I'm not convinced that you need an a1c below 6.5 for 6months before conceiving. I think I'd have one below 6.5 and then stop with birth control. The a1c would be proof for yourself and doctor, but not the most important thing!

I think you should be in control, so know what you're doing, when your spike comes, counting carbs etc. For example, I could achieve an a1c of 6.5 but still I wouldn't conceive because I really don't know what I'm doing while sleeping (one big mystery), and I wouldn't wanna give my "baby" a 180 treat every night...

So I think it's important to be in control more than to have the right number....

Just like MIAMI2009 I don't have t1d that long (6,5 years) and I also had frustration eating.... Spiked to 360 on almost a daily basis.... Because of eating candy and not "caring"..... It only got myself further away from the being healthy, ready to conceive and not being overweight....

At least I did quit smoking half a year ago :) so now aiming for my a1c of 6.5 and after that losing 50lbs!

Tanikit

MIAMI - I wouldn't wait til my hba1c was under 6.5 for 6 months - most doctors will give the all clear to TTC at an hba1c under 7 even if it has only been that low at that reading. However do remember that once you get pregnant it is 8 months (they say 9 though I think I only knew for 8 months I was pregnant each time before giving birth) of constant checking, constant adjustments with a baby inside you to take care of - so make sure that it is your number one priority so you can stick it out. (Its easier once the baby is inside you since then you would do anything for it and you just want it to be healthy)

You are not too old. Many people have babies over 40, even diabetics - type 1 diabetics are at risk of earlier than normal menopause though so I wouldn't wait forever and above 35 you are high risk anyway - its not a reason not to have a baby though.

Suffie I brought my hba1c down at the same time as losing weight - get both together if you can - it saves time. Going much lower carb helped me lose the weight and ALSO helped the sugar levels as fewer carbs mean lower spikes at the 2 hour post eating reading. As for night readings - you can test through the night. Its a pain - I did it 2-3 times a month for a good many months, but haven't been so keen lately (I am tired) - still if you want a really good hba1c it is an option and can really help more than people realise with hba1cs.

Suffie

Already going lower in hba1c (hence the headache when i started pumping), and if that wasn't enough my thyroid starts to react :(

I've tried to do quit smoking-get in control-lose weight all at once but that wasn't a success, so now I'm doing one thing at a time.

Maybe losing weight and quitting birth control at the same moment ;)

Rdani87

I'm learning a lot on here.  I'm so glad to have found this community!

I'm a 27 year old T1 and my husband and I have been waiting to have kids until my A1c is lower.  We are thinking about next year but it depends on how quickly I can get it down.  I know I don't want to wait too much longer, though!   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.