Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

janice21475

Stevia linked to miscarriage according to this blog report

janice21475

ARE THEY ALL YOURS?!??: Stevia is safe - OR ELSE!

After I read this I felt it better to err on the side of error and report the link, rather than stay silent and read of someone's loss.

The woman who writes this blog has had 7 children and through personal experience has linked 'morning sickness' to carbs. Or, at least to the lack of fermented foods while PG. That caught my attention and since I have been following her blog.

She is currently carrying identical twins. Baby A has died but Baby B is doing very well after a very doubtful and rocky start.

Hope this may be helpful to someone.

Kind regards, Janice

jwags

Miscarraiges happen for lots of reasons. Usually it is from something genetic and the baby would not have grown normally. I think it is simplistic to blame any food. I have heard that sometimes with twins, one grows and the other one doesn't. It is sad but this happens. I lived on oyster crackers when I was pregnant.

Lady Imp

I'll just leave this here:

peerreview.jpeg

I'm really not a huge fan of stevia, too many of the mass-produced versions of it are still chemically altered and I'm not a fan of that in my food. Added downside, they tend to taste like ****. But I agree that it's way too easy to blame one little thing for a miscarriage when a plethora of other reasons could possibly take place. In the words of every statistics professor I have ever had (and one psychology professor): correlation does not equal causation! Women have been miscarrying LONG before the advent of stevia, so you can't begin to convince me that it's the cause. While anecdotal evidence is a good place to start scientific research, it is not scientific research in and of itself.

jdm
ARE THEY ALL YOURS?!??: Stevia is safe - OR ELSE!

After I read this I felt it better to err on the side of error and report the link, rather than stay silent and read of someone's loss.

The woman who writes this blog has had 7 children and through personal experience has linked 'morning sickness' to carbs. Or, at least to the lack of fermented foods while PG. That caught my attention and since I have been following her blog.

She is currently carrying identical twins. Baby A has died but Baby B is doing very well after a very doubtful and rocky start.

Hope this may be helpful to someone.

Kind regards, Janice

Where's her evidence? Does she have any? Did she use stevia and then have a miscarriage? Wow! THAT's scientific. Might as well blame a sunspot.

Another issue is that only a minority of stevia users are actually using pure, natural stevia. Most of the products out there have at least two problems. 1) The stevia extract has been chemically modified excluding most ingredients and just keep a very few which they somehow deemed the "active" sweetening ingredients - more importantly, this allows their product to be PATENTED which isn't possible with a straight water extract of a natural leaf which people have been doing for eons. And 2) Most of them have only a tiny amount of anything from stevia (because it's so potent) and are mixed with many different fillers.

There are many positive trials with actual stevia without chemical modification or additives and all are very positive - including some which actually point to stevia being MEDICINAL for diabetics and helpful with blood sugar.

She deserved to be deleted by presenting sweeping conclusions with no evidence to back it up. We have enough urban legend around and ond't need more.

jdm

PURE unadulterated urban legend and hysteria. We should do the world a favor and not spread it. No science supports it.

Link

Note that the ancient animal studies from the sixties were inconclusive about decreased fertility but more importantly involved absurdly huge doses of stevia. She points out in the above that to get those doses, you'd have to consume 28g of pure stevia at once! BTW, in my usage of stevia several times per day, that amount is at least a SIX MONTHS SUPPLY.

Take any substance you consume multiple times per day and scarf six month's worth at a sitting. I imagine you could find quite a few substances with "negative" effects. Cinnamon in that dosage would probably kill you.

I'd "err on the side of caution" and never read anything this person says again!

janice21475

I was wrong, I am sorry, I will never do it again.

My apologies to the members kind enough to respond to this thread. I would gladly delete the thread if I could. I read all the replies on the blog I linked and they did a good job of schooling the poster. Their replies certainly cast a bright light on everything she said. It was not pretty.

I will not post any further links to that blog.

Kind regards,

Janice

Ela

IMHO this thread should stay - THE WHOLE THREAD and in case anybody comes to that blog independently, our site will a good counterbalance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.