Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brookie

Any Type 1's have 3 or More Pregnancies? (Type 1's Only) Increased Resistance?

Brookie

Hi,

Just curious if any Type 1's have had 3 or more pregnancies? If yes, did you notice an increase of insulin requirements with each pregnancy? I'm having my 3rd child and I'm already on the daily basal rate that I was at the end of my 2nd pregnancy (I'm 29 weeks now). Just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences??

Thanks!

Lizzie G

hi

iv only had two kids and both were similar. are you heavier than in your previous pregnancies? less active? i guess the answer is probably no. eeird phenomenon. be interested to see other peoples experiences.

Brookie

Hi everyone! Just an update: I delivered a healthy baby boy in May! I found out the reason for my insulin resistance this time around was a huge Placenta!! And I mean big!! It came in weighing over 3 pounds! And that was definitely the reason for so much insulin resistance with my third pregnancy!! Now I'm breast-feeding and it's the complete opposite!!

Lizzie G

Congratulations Brookie, wow what a placenta! your insulin resistance really baffled me with everything else you said.  i wonder why it was so big?!  how big was the baby?  how was the birth did you go to term?  look forward to pictures (i dont think i even uploaded any of jamesy to be honest, oops!) xxx

Lady Imp

Congrats on the baby! And yeah Lizzie, where are the pics, hmm??

I shouldn't be one to talk, I haven't posted any since Baby Imp was born...except for one of her cute little baby toes. :)

Brookie

Hi! Sorry for the late reply!

He was 8 lbs 14oz when born at 38 weeks! We did an induction which I was happy with:)

Trying to see how to add a pic on here! Any help? lol. Don't see anything...

Renee4385

Hi everyone!

Its my first time in this forum and i just found out im 5 weeks pregnant. My a1c is 7.5 but ive been really good for the past 2-3 weeks. Im really scared of having a baby with birth defects because of my a1c. Since you all have had more than one baby, do u think my baby will be fine if i keep my sugars under super tight control?

Ive been reading about all the crazy birth defects with women and diabetes and its freaking me out. Any support or insight would be so helpful!

Tanikit

Hi, firstly congrats on your pregnancy.

Unfortunately no one can say for sure whether your baby will be fine or not - just like for everyone else who is not diabetic at all there is always a risk. However that said, I had worse hba1cs when I first fell pregnant with BOTH my girls. I brought it under better control fast and maintained ok levels (not what people like on here or what is ideal, but much better than I normally had). Definitely for the sake of your baby keep your sugars as well controlled as you can - they will not be perfect (you are a diabetic after all) but just do the utmost best you can and aim for almost perfect levels even if you can't always reach it.

Next do everything that people with normal pregnancies should be doing - take good pregnancy vitamins (esp folic acid), visit the doctors for prenatal health care, have a good obstretrician and a good endocrinolgist who can work somewhat together. Take the sugars one day at a time as pregnancy can be a roller coaster. And finally enoy being pregnant - think about your baby, relax some, look up how it is growing, speak to others who are pregnant at the same stage as you (diabetic or not).

Hope you have a happy healthy 8+ months.

Renee4385

Thank you! That actually makes me feel better! What was ur a1c at? And were ur girls born healthy?

I just wish there was more positive things to reas put there bit everythi g is so negative with women and pregnancy!

Tanikit

My hba1c was 9.3 when I first got pregnant (I know - it was bad) Throughout pregnancy it remained between 6.9 and 7.0 which is also NOT what I would aim for now if I ever got pregnant again, but I know more now. Both my girls did have low sugars after birth and were treated in NICU for them - the first child for 1 day and the second for 4 days but other than that they were and still are healthy. 

I think you need to think about what you expect - pregnancy is difficult for many people - my SIL nearly died recently with HELLP and pre eclampsia that was exceptionally severe and she is a perfectly healthy woman - this was unexpected. However despite all that she loves her little boy who was born 13 May when she should have been born in the middle of July - he is doing very well now and is home with her being breastfed.

You will hear many stories like that and many stories about easy labours and people delivering and just going home the same day, water births and home births - those are not so realistic for a type 1 diabetic. Most of what you hear about what is good or what is bad has to do with whether the person had realistic expectations or not. A type 1 pregnancy can be a lot of work - is it worth it - most definitely. I adore my children. They are worth all the difficulties. And of course if I had the chance to do it again, I would even knowing about the rough parts.

That said not all of either pregnancy was rough - there were parts when I felt great, I loved hearing the baby's heartbeat, seeing it on the ultrasound, knowing they were there with me 24-7, feeling kicks. Yes, of course it is worrying for everyone (diabetic or not) so you have to also enjoy the good parts and slow down a bit amongst the worry. I wish I was doing it again - I really do want a third child. I know what to expect in many way - basically the unexpected :)

Renee4385

Wow thats great!! Thats really comforting to hear. Im ad ur girls are healthy! I have an appointment in aug to hear the babys heart beat. Im really excited!! Ive been monitoring my sugars like crazy and checking like 12 times a day and my sugar has not been between 80-130. Have a great day!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.