Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KelliMax

5 Weeks Prego and figuring out doctors?

KelliMax

We are 5 weeks pregnant, second child but first with Type 1. My endo referred me to a Perinatalogist who I have not seen yet...Should I also be looking for a high risk OB? Are there other doctors needed? My a1C has been at 5.5 for the past 6 months so I am in great control so do I need a high risk OB? -Thanks!

Brookie

Congrats!! Your perinatologist should be able to help you with your high risk delivery. Depending on the hospital let you go to they may have you find a separate OB outside of the Perinatologist. But generally you can do it all with them and your endo:) I was fortunate enough in the past that my perinatologist was able to do everything for me because she had so much diabetes experience. There was always an Endo in clinic there in case I needed it. I unfortunately in my third trimester have had to switch hospitals. The new hospital I am going to requires me to find an OB/GYN outside of their perinatologist. Hope this helps!!

KelliMax

Thanks so much, that is helpful to know its possible to just see the perinatalogist. Im just a little worried it takes so long to get in. I was assuming they would want to see me right away having type 1 and all. I know with normal pregnancy you dont see the OB until 9 weeks or later. I guess I am just worried whenever my blood sugar spikes that I am doing some sort of harm to the baby. Thanks for the response :)

Brookie

My perinatologist had me sending in blood sugars as soon as I found out I was preggo. They would review and make adjustments for me. If you're doing that with your endo your perinatologist may not want to see you until later. One, they won't usually see a heartbeat til 6 or 7 weeks and its better chance to see later on and two, as long as someone is reviewing your sugars they're prob ok with waiting to see you. Waiting is so hard though!! I know!:) good luck with it all!

Lady Imp

I only saw my perinatologist twice during each pregnancy, once as a preliminary "what do we need to do?" visit, and once for a fetal echocardiogram. I had my usual OB handle both pregnancies, and they both were spectacular. Honestly, as long as you're keeping tight control on the diabetes and unless you're having serious complications, you shouldn't see anything more than the perinatologist (and even that in my mind is somewhat excessive), since they tend to specialize in high-risk pregnancies. Who you should be making your BFF, however, is your endocrinologist. They are seriously the most important person in your medical corner, and you should be in their office more often than the OB.

KelliMax

hmmm, Interesting Lady Imp. I have my appointment with them on Monday and you have given me some things to think about and question on Monday. Also, if you feel comfortable answering- where in "the Mitten" are you at? I'm in Lansing

Lady Imp
hmmm, Interesting Lady Imp. I have my appointment with them on Monday and you have given me some things to think about and question on Monday. Also, if you feel comfortable answering- where in "the Mitten" are you at? I'm in Lansing

I'm in the Traverse City area. Trust me, if I can pop out two kids with minimal complications out here in BFE, you have nothing to worry about. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.