Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Omega-3 supplements

JanetP

The doc recently upped my fish oil supplement to 4 grams per day. We haven't checked labs yet, will do that in a week or so.

One of the side effects of such a high dose is an increase in fasting blood sugars for T2's. I've only been doing it for a couple of days and noticed that I was a little higher than usual this morning but am not sure of the cause due to eating a high protein supper very late ast night. Will track it and see.

What is anyone else's experience?

Thanks.

JanetP

High triglycerides and a mood disorder. Will track closely. There have been so many changes lately it is difficult to pinpoint exactly what is going on. I keep telling myself the old proverb about "When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras." and keeping a very detailed, if not overly neurotic, daily log of food, supplements, activities, etc.

gabrielo

My doctor suggested fish oil capsules but I opted to eat more sardines and other fish.

Why would fish oil raise blood sugar levels, it seems to be all fat?

GrammaBear

I saw an Endocrinologist in 2012 that recommended I take 3,000 - 4,000 mg each day for high cholesterol. I take liquid fish oil that has to be refrigerated, and No, it doesn't taste the best but hopefully it might work.

TX_Clint

I too use a more natural remedy and eat fish every Friday at a minimum. On average I have fish twice a week because I love it and it's gotten cheaper than beef. I have heard that the Omega-3 fish oil pills are not very effective. If you don't like fish it sounds like GrammaBear has the right remedy for that. Makes me wonder if Thai fish oil would work. Wife 1 put it on darn near everything and it did smell pretty ripe. Like low tide. :)

GrammaBear

Use caution when considering taking something that says "natural" on it. I recently started taking a supplement called "Cholest-Off Plus". It is advertised as 'plant sterols and plant stanols'. However it contains something called reducol, which I believe is a form of lovastatin. I'm not a scientist and I can't seem to find supporting evidence for my theory. The only thing I do know is my muscles are weak and I hurt a lot. I blamed it on old age catching up to me. I've stopped taking this supplement in hopes the muscle weakness and pain will go away. Be very careful when buying supplements - know what you are taking and don't be like me.:(

Seagal

I have taken around 4500mg of fish oil for many years and don't notice a b.g. increase. The amount of DHA, EPA and DPA needs to be balanced and hopefully (in other people's bottles) there are no other ingredients that would cause a b.g. rise.

Seagal

Great Janet, as long as you have read the ingredients and approve:) I only mentioned other ingredients because sometimes they slip things in we might not recognize by name and then have to google it and find out it is contraindicated with other stuff we take.

JanetP

I know what you mean, Seagal! So many supplements are adulterated with other things and they do have interactions just like "regular" meds.

stinastina

I just started taking mega krill oil to help with my cholesterol. My doctor doesn't believe it or my lchf diet will affect my cholesterol at all.

GAgirl

I was taking Trilipix for tri's for years and I only ever got down into the high 300's with just that med, so  since going LCHF and adding the mega fish oil, and Met, of course, my tri's went way down from 289 to 140!

I say go for it and see how the labs look

PS) I took Lovaza fr a long time - Prescription fish oil. Now I take one I get from my allergist from WIN Pharmaceuticals and it's comparable in dosage if I take 2 only $30 less a month!My GP put me on Lovaza several years back  before dx of D. Tris were then at 550! :o

MalteseMom

I just started taking mega krill oil to help with my cholesterol. My doctor doesn't believe it or my lchf diet will affect my cholesterol at all.

I just read a post on facebook from someone in the low carb keto club that has me thoroughly confused. Did anyone ever read this article? If so, please help me understand. Too much info for me to parse out.  thanks.  Now I'm really curious!  fish oil proven useless for controlling cholesterol?  http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jl/2014/495761/

Seagal

No wonder you are confused, what an article.  I am not scientific enough to go through all the studies they quote and tests that were done, but I do go by what my own experience has been.  I absolutely believe it is the type and brand of fish oil consumed, there are methods to keep it from being oxidized & rancid.  

You can also check out Chris Kresser's site because he does not belive more is better and has an article "Fish Oil, More is not Better", yet he believes (if I remember correctly in krill oil).

My lipids are better with 4000-4500 fish oil, my trigs are lower, hdl higher.  That is what I go by... 

BTW, Clint Tx just had a post re how much his cholesterol dropped by taking 4500mg. fish oil.  So it is working for him.

JanetP

Ai-yi-yi-yi-yi!  I have been on 4000mg a day for almost a year!  supposedly for triglycerides and mood stabilization.  I'll behaving labs drawn in October.  We will see what they look like.

adiantum

Hey Girl, Can you share the name of these  which you allergist recommended?

I don't understand why I should be allergic to fish oil caps when I eat fish every day but allergic I am.

. Now I take one I get from my allergist from WIN Pharmaceuticals and it's comparable in dosage if I take 2 only $30 less a month!................

Seagal

Lee, maybe you are allergic to shellfish and not fish? The ones I take have no shellfish, but the Krill oil does.  Hope the ones Georgia talks about work for you.

adiantum

shellfish are fine with me...but now you've started me on craving prawns.

I rang the fish oil manufacturer & they agreed the symptoms were allergies but theres no additives in the capsules, just fish oil.

adiantum

I never even considered that Orlando.. good thinking.

Its only in the festive summer solstice period that  I have foods containing gelatin & I have many allergies around that period.

I guess I'll have to do some experimenting soon

Forester

I just read a post on facebook from someone in the low carb keto club that has me thoroughly confused. Did anyone ever read this article? If so, please help me understand. Too much info for me to parse out.  thanks.  Now I'm really curious!  fish oil proven useless for controlling cholesterol?  http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jl/2014/495761/

I would not worry too much about this report, for several reasons.  I've read the paper, and there are some serious errors in it, as well as a number of assumptions and assertions that are unproven.  Here's an example of a Pubmed comment:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24551453

I wondered how the author could get those errors past peer review,  so I looked up the journal.  It turns out to be an open access for-profit publishing company operated out of Egypt.  It is "open access", i.e., the author pays to have his paper published rather than based on subscriptions.  They claim to be "peer reviewed", but who knows?

So I googled his listed organization.  It comes up as a single page with a cool logo, but absolutely no links, just "coming soon."  And a PO box.

So I googled his name, and it turns out he has a website touting his "solutions" to health problems, mostly by selling a book about what he calls "parent essential oils".  Sound familiar?  And consulting. No research lab in sight.

So I checked out his bio.  He claims the title "Professor", but it turns out he only has a BS in electrical engineering, no Masters, Ph.D. or MD.  It seems that he taught a class for maybe one semester at Southern Texas University 15 years ago.  Heck, by that standard, I'm a Professor too!  I taught 3 courses at the University of Delaware twenty-some years ago.  You may now call me "Professor Forester", thank you. :D

And here's the kicker:  Further googling brought up this:  http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/Peskin/peskin.html

So this is why you are seeing his work discussed on Facebook, rather than in the press or other more mainstream pubs...

Sorry I've been absent, I've been busy helping my wife get back on her feet (she had a stroke, but she is improving).

Seagal

Thanks Forester, I saw that bit about the pubishing company and wondered.  Appreciate you bringing some light to the subject.

So sorry about your wife, I hope she will be much better soon.  Nice to have you back :)

Forester

But, wait, there's more!  If you order in the next ten minutes...   http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/brian-peskin-and-essential-fatty-acids/

It's not Snake Oil, it's alpha-linoleic acid (ALA), an omega-6 fatty acid!  That's right, omega-6, not -3!  Or double your money back!

Thanks SeaGal for the well-wishes.  I'll post in Chit Chat what's been going on tomorrow.  The past month has been difficult for her.

MalteseMom

"Professor" Forester, thank you so much! understood every word of your explanation. No double speak hidden in mumbo jumbo. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.