Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JES0307

Issues with my insulin pump

JES0307

Hi! This is my first time posting, and I am hoping someone can help me or give me advice, or just tell me that this has happened to them. I am currently 9 weeks pregnant and having major issues with my pump sites. I am rotating my sites between both of my legs and my butt. I find that in the last 2 weeks, ranging from an hour to 1 day, that I am getting no delivery on my pump when it is attached to me. After removing the site, blood pours out, but the cannula is not bent at all. Before pregnancy, this would happen here and there which I know is normal, but now this is happening and I am changing my sites 5-6 times a day on some days. It is extremely frustrating because I am working so hard to keep my blood sugars under tight control. I am also currently wearing the Dexcom G4 plus sensor and have been able to catch all of my blood sugars before rising. With the sensor, I am having no issues with the sites which I rotate on each side of my stomach once a week. I reached out to my OB who said it is normal for a pregnant woman to have excess blood in the first trimester but did not know anything on the diabetes side. I reached out to my endo and to Minimed and they have never heard of this issues before. I am seeing my high risk dr in a few weeks but wanted to see if anyone has heard of this issue or had it happen to them. PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have a Minimed Paradigm and using Quick set 9mm sets.

Thank you all in advance!!!!!

-Esther S

Lady Imp
Hi! This is my first time posting, and I am hoping someone can help me or give me advice, or just tell me that this has happened to them. I am currently 9 weeks pregnant and having major issues with my pump sites. I am rotating my sites between both of my legs and my butt. I find that in the last 2 weeks, ranging from an hour to 1 day, that I am getting no delivery on my pump when it is attached to me. After removing the site, blood pours out, but the cannula is not bent at all. Before pregnancy, this would happen here and there which I know is normal, but now this is happening and I am changing my sites 5-6 times a day on some days. It is extremely frustrating because I am working so hard to keep my blood sugars under tight control. I am also currently wearing the Dexcom G4 plus sensor and have been able to catch all of my blood sugars before rising. With the sensor, I am having no issues with the sites which I rotate on each side of my stomach once a week. I reached out to my OB who said it is normal for a pregnant woman to have excess blood in the first trimester but did not know anything on the diabetes side. I reached out to my endo and to Minimed and they have never heard of this issues before. I am seeing my high risk dr in a few weeks but wanted to see if anyone has heard of this issue or had it happen to them. PLEASE HELP!!!!

I have a Minimed Paradigm and using Quick set 9mm sets.

Thank you all in advance!!!!!

-Esther S

Couple questions:

1) Are you still running the same pump settings you had before you got pregnant? Do you tweak settings yourself based on trends? It is not uncommon (read: expected) for insulin resistance to skyrocket when pregnant, and insulin needs to go through the roof (my last pregnancy, I was taking three times my normal amount of insulin). Instead of changing your sites half a dozen times, might want to try keeping an eye on trends and adjusting your settings to match them.

2) When you say you are getting no delivery, are you actually getting a no delivery alarm? If so, Medtronic should be replacing the pump. If you're not getting the alarm, your pump is still delivering. However, it is possible that it's just not delivering well. How often are you changing batteries? According to Medtronic, a battery should last about 6 weeks to 2 months. Changing more often is an indicator that the motor is fixing to go. Motor failure is relatively common in pumps that are past warranty, and if you're at that point I would highly recommend calling Medtronic and getting a new one.

3) Try switching to the 6mm caunula and see if that helps. I had better control with the 6mm than I did with the 9mm.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. My Paradigm 722 would freak out at me when there's no delivery - and that has only happened to me during the priming process, so I was able to just put on a new infusion set and keep on chugging. I have no doubt the Revel model does that as well.

KelliMax

I have all the same devices, I haven't noticed anything like that. You definitely should not have to keep wasting infusion sets. Medtronic is willing to replace things and work through it with you on the phone. I had a no delivery keep affecting my pump and they replaced all the sensors I wasted but only after they ran through some tests with me on the phone and then they had me mail them the sensors. It sounds like it could be a problem with your pump too. Good luck

Lady Imp

Another thing to think about doing is double-checking that your infusion sets and reservoirs have not been recalled. I seem to recall getting a recall notice within the last year. A quick Google search should locate the lot number of recalled sets.

William V

I realize pregnancy is a different ball game. Have you done some basic checks on possible pressure points on the tubing including routing locations. Does the infusion site get pressure on them from other objects or laying on them? This does it in for me. I also use shorter cannulas on my non stomach areas as they hit the edge of the muscles if longer. I actually use silhouette on my thighs so I can angle them slightly lower for less depth.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.