Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jencorse

7.7 and doctors gave the go-ahead TTC

jencorse

I have been wanting to have a 2nd child for about 3 years. Last week I went to see my endo and he said my HBA1C was down from 8.1 to 7.7 in the matter of a month and that he would refer me to perineonatologist. After visiting the peri they said to go ahead and TTC, which puzzled me! My first pregnancy my HBA1C was in the 6.3 range at the beginning and I'm wondering why both doctors would give me the go ahead with a HBA1C in the 7's range. My only guess is that the doctors are under the assumption that I will continue to lower my HBA1C?? I have been waiting 3 years for the go ahead but now that I have it I'm a little scared to proceed. As of right now I am going to wait at least one more month. Has anyone had a healthy pregnancy with a HBA1C in the 7's range???:confused:

ramon

I don't know why but the forum profile seems to think that ladies who want to get pregnant are male. Tell us about yourself and fill out your profile, are you a T1 or T2? What meds are you on if any. With the exception of 1 case our Diabetic ladies are pretty successful in your predicament. Here's to you and your decision. :beer:

Suffie

Last february I had an A1C of 7.5 and there was absolutely no way that i could get a "go" for pregnancy. My endo says below 7, and my "nurse" (still looking for the correct English word) says 2 times in a row below 6.5....

Lady Imp

Both of my pregnancies were "whoops..." ones, but fortunately both times I had A1c's below 7 the first appointment into the endo where I hung my head and went "yeah, so remember how we were talking about birth control...yeah, I didn't make it that far..." (both times it had been a while since I had been in an endocrinologist's office so I was going in once a month). The risks are much greater when you are consistently running BGs that high. That being said however, a 0.4 drop in only a month is a rather impressive step in the right direction. You are doing something right, so keep it up! Just remember that just because your endo gives you the green light doesn't mean that you have to start doing the mattress mambo every night. If you don't feel comfortable conceiving yet, by all means don't. Personally, if I were you, I would keep up with whatever changes you made and wait until your next appointment and have an A1c done then and see where you're standing. Alternatively, there are home A1c kits you can get...I think Bayer makes one. Not as good as what you would get at the doctor's office, but it will help you to at least spot trends, which at this point is all you're interested in.

Good luck!

Lady Imp
I don't know why but the forum profile seems to think that ladies who want to get pregnant are male.

Didn't you know? We've evolved into seahorses. Men can carry babies now. What's more, what you think is air...is really water. It's an alternate dimension. :D

I should probably go have some coffee now...

jencorse

Thank you for all of the input! I am holding off for another month at least because I don't feel comfortable with getting pregnant with that high of a HBA1C. I called my endo and he was nice enough to put in a HBA1C lab order for me whenever I'm ready, which will be another 4 weeks minimum. I have a feeling I will be in the low 7's if not 6's but will wait and see. I have been really good the past month and I figure with another month of being really good my HBA1C should be even lower. I have also started exercising regularly, which is making a huge difference. Thanks again for all of your input :)

Jen

T1D since 02'

Medtronic Insulin Pump since 06'

Dexcom G4 since 12'

Mommy to Aidan 6 yrs

Tanikit

I did not have an hba1c under 7 for either pregnancy - even while pregnant I had to fight terribly hard to get it to 7 (let alone well below that - it never did go below 6.9 in either pregnancy despite severe constant lows) - both my children are healthy and fine. The second pregnancy however was a nightmare. I have the all clear to TTC again now having got my hba1c now to 6.4, but have been advised to wait for a pump. If you are not happy then wait a month and have it retested, but yes you can have a healthy baby with much higher hba1cs - the only problem is that things can always go wrong with a pregnancy - I count myself lucky as I would hate to have to sit there asking: What could I have done better and know that it was to have got my hba1c better. That said, the longer I wait now the more at risk my next baby will become from me being older and having been diabetic for a longer time - everything needs to be taken into consideration and then the best decision for you and your family made.

jencorse

Tanikit thank you for the supportive response, everyone really has made me feel better and worry less :)  I have an insulin pump that I started on when I was pregnant with my son.  I was super hesitant to get it and hated the idea of being tied to a machine, but now I don't know how I would live without it!  I think as parents we will always have the "what if" syndrome, I have to learn that I can only do what I can do and the rest isn't up to me.  I am keeping track and my average BG the last 30 days is 156, which works out to around a low 7 HBA1C.  I'm sure I can keep getting my BG lower and lower with effort.  This last week I have averaged even lower so there is hope for me :)  Good luck with your new pump!

Jen
T1D since 02'
Medtronic Insulin Pump since 06'
Dexcom G4 since 12'
Mommy to Aidan 6 yrs

k_dub

Hi Jen:

I just had a baby on 1/4/14 and was able to keep my A1c around 6% or lower during my pregnancy.  My average A1c prior to pregnancy was 6.1% or so.  Let me know if I can help!

blessedtoes

Jen-

Congratulations on the A1C drop and also on procreating (hee).

The first thing I wondered on reading your post is whether this is the same medical team you had for your first pregnancy?

With blessings,

Matthew

jencorse

Matthew,

Yes, it is the same medical team as before which is what confuses me.  The OB said "well you got there once so we know that you can get there again."  I'm guessing that my endo was thinking he would let the OB tell me no gently but that's not what happened.  I am going in to take another HBA1C at the end of this week and see how I am doing so far.  Hopefully I will keep my HBA1C going in the right direction :)

Jen

blessedtoes

Jen, I know it isn't "scientific," but I encourage you to trust your intuition on something like this. There is something to be said for that inner guidance, especially when it aligns with the common wisdom - i.e. wanting to get your A1C down.

I see you're type 1, as am I, so this might not have the same kind of benefit as for type 2 diabetics, but there are two supplements that mimic the function of insulin in the body, vanadium and biotin. These might be tools, but really check with your OB, though I'm skeptical she / he will know what to say about it as most PCPs aren't too well educated on nutrition. Biotin is a B vitamin and in large doses, on the order of grams, it can significantly lower your need for insulin. It is usually present in B complex vitamins in micrograms (mcg), so we're talking about a thousand times the common dose, and I've never seen a study on the long-term effects of higher doses... it's surely more natural than most meds, but even green tea in obnoxious doses can cause cancer it seems. I've experimented with biotin in the past and once was taking 5g a day and cut my insulin down from 30 units a day to under 10.

The other thing that will help is that it is really important for pregnant women to eat a lot of protein. Like, a lot. Many of the women I've known who have done the Bradley Method say it's so much that they get sick of protein (including my wife, who's a real carnivore!). As you hopefully know carbs are our killer and a veggie-protein diet is the way to go. No reason not to start shifting your eating in that direction if you haven't already.

Just a few ideas for your consideration....

Blessings!

Matthew

jencorse

Whoo hoo, just got my HBA1C test results back and they went all the way down to 7.2 :)  A .5 drop in a month, needless to say I am overjoyed and can only imagine how much lower it will be in yet another month.  I know feel like I am ok TTC and if it happens this month it does and if not my HBA1C will be even lower next month :)  

Matthew thank you for the great tips!  The supplements sound interesting and I will definitely check w/ my OB.  Unfortunately, I don't really care too much for meat but do eat a diet that is high in veggies and try to get my protein from other sources.  My husband doesn't do carbs so it is easy for me to cook a low carb diet.  I'm really trying to cut down my carbs and fat intake because I see a definite change in my BS when I lower both.

Thanks again for all of the advice!  Have a great weekend everyone :)

Jen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.