Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BeckieLynn55

Exercise after meals to decrease rise in blood sugar.

BeckieLynn55

I've decided that to stay under tight control during my pregnancy, I'm going to exercise soon after eating (especially dinner when I'm at home) to help make my insulin work quicker.

I had a difficult time finding information about this online due to the vague search terms. So, I'm looking for your experiences. Have you tried this? What was your experience? Any tips? I know we're all going to be different, but I'd love to hear about what worked for others.

I tried it today. I couldn't resist putting crushed girl scout cookies on top of my sugar free pudding right after dinner for a total of 90 carbs for dinner... (it was a splurge kind of night after all of these small meals lately). So I ran 1/2 mile to get the insulin to peak quicker and avoid the spike. It seemed to work perfectly! I was down to 100 one hour after the meal (with an ADA goal of 140 for pregnant women).

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences!

BeckieLynn55

Ps. This has been working out great. I wasn't feeling well all day today so I barely ate... and was starving for dinner. After/during eating, I realized it was a 132 carb meal. I ran a quick mile afterward and avoided any spike whatsoever. Blood sugar also hasn't dropped and it's been 5 hours now. This is gold to me as I was really struggling for the first 3 weeks avoiding spikes. It seems I can eat anything and just exercise to make the insulin peak quicker. Loving this!

KelliMax

Thats so great how well its working for you and it will be better to be stronger for labor and delivery.  I am curious the specifics... what kind of exercise? how long do you wait after your meal? Isn't it hard to work out so much right after eating?  I am just curious because if this works well then I might need to do this too 

Thanks!

BeckieLynn55

I have a sensor, so I run until I see it starting to decrease. This is usually just a mile, but if I ate something really carb/sugary, it might be 3! Yes, running after eating is not ideal, but I say its for the health of my baby to keep my sugars down. That is the motivation. If I start to get a stomach ache, I'll walk until it passes, then run again. I haven't done this all week as I wasn't feeling well, but hope to start again tomorrow!

jims_forum

Very good. I would hold off for at least 1/2 hour prior to exercising so you do not rush out stomach contents to intestine and cause a spike.

I watch my glucose level at 2 hours and I go walk a number of 1/4 mile loops and that helps burn down excess glucose.

Whenever my naughty liver did a nasty dump spiking the glucose vertical, walking was the best way to claw it back.

apollo322

Whenever I do this my numbers are excellent. For most of my first year I would would work out within an hour of two meals a day, usually breakfast and dinner. It's better for your body too, keeps it in burn mode longer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.