Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stinastina

Blood pressure

stinastina

I take 2 blood pressure meds and check every once in a while at home. I usually have very good numbers.

Yesterday when I went to the doctor, the bp machine did something weird - it tightened up, starting going gradually down like normal and then stopped and tightened up so bad, I lost circulation in my arm and it turned my brown arm red ! I told the girl it was killing me but they took the reading anyways and declared it was too high ~ 156/108 ! I tried to explain to the doctor that the machine abused me but when she took it again, I had only come down 10 points on both measurements so she felt like it was still an issue and now I have to do twice a day blood pressure logs !  :rolleyes:

I blame the machine ! What do you guys think ? I take mp bp medicine religiously.

Bountyman

Unfair! :mad:  It's a machine. It's been placed there to circumvent an actual hands-on BP test by a professional. I don't know anything about having to log your BP every day for your doctor...but next time, after the "machine" takes you BP...ask them to do a manual BP test with a stethoscope...if they still know how to do that. I'll bet the numbers are different. Don't let them bully you!!

As an addendum, Raley's has one of those machines. I've used it a few times and the cuff does get tight. The machine also has a RELEASE button if it runs away with itself. I'll bet the one you used didn't have that.

samuraiguy

I think it's totally possible.  I have a rise only when I go to my doctor at the tribal clinic so they put me on 10 mg of Lisinopril per government protocol.  I had to go down to 5 mg when I was dizzy standing with a BP of 105/57  :P

notme

Seriously, when your arm is having the life squeezed out of it, what do they expect your blood pressure will do?

I have had those dumb machines do that before too. You always wonder why it can't make up its mind the first time.

jwags

I 've had my home machine do that once in awhile. My readings are always good at home but high in the office. They put me on 10 mg of Lisinopril put it pushed my BP down to 90/55. I now take 5 mg and once in awhile it still goes under 100.

stinastina

So I have been logging my bp #s and I have a new question. 

I have had a decrease in blood volume so I stopped taking both meds. I decided if I went back up, I would take the losartan (but not the hctz since it tends to raise bg#s). My body has been under a lot of stress lately and bg#s have been all over the place. When I see 170s, I reach for a glimepiride but that has been like every few days and not regularly.

So lately I am 120/90 without meds which is considered pre-hypertensive. I am really surprised to see these numbers without meds but maybe it is due to my anemia ? Does anyone know ? I hope I can stay off the meds. I'm finally getting my energy back.

coob

After being on bp meds for a couple of years, I went to a homeopath, to see if we could find a natural way to bring the bp's down. I have been on a supplement for about six weeks and my bp's now average about 115/65 (sometimes lower - last night 94/53.) some days I take a half a dose (25mg) of losartan, some I don't. Before I was taking 50 mgs losartan and a diuretic, and my bps were higher. The supplement is a powder consisting of Vit's C, D and B6, biotin, magnesium,taurine and grape seed extract. My homeopath told me to never take a diuretic - and taking it may have contributed to my high sugars. (why don't conventional docs tell us this stuff??)

Oh - and I have "white coat hypertension" and the blood pressure is always - without exception - higher at the docs.

janice21475

Last month I went to my Dr. with terrible swelling in my ankles. She said, 'Oh, it is the Losartan, stop taking it.' I had been on it for a month. I had a spot on the back of my leg that was close to ulceration. Dark, swollen and very painful. It has been a couple of weeks but the swelling is all gone & that bad spot eventually cleared up. They are entirely too free in prescribing these pills. They don't actually suffer the effects. If it was their legs swelling like that, they would be less willing to put it on other people, but most of them are young and not yet on any of these evil pills. She then told me to break the other BP pill in half and take 1 & 1/2 a day. Well the pill is a time release that says clearly on the bottle - DO NOT BREAK OR CRUSH. I stopped everything. Then my BP went sky high. I started back Metoprolol ER 50 mg and HCTZ 25 mg. She tells me the HCTZ is just a 'water' pill. It raises your BP. Maybe I better stop that one. Although, now that I have started back my BP has been running 136/71. That sure beats 190/84.

Before, another BP pill made me cough. She acts frustrated when I talk to her about BP meds. I wouldn't want to be her. I bet she hears from people all day long. She has NEVER come up with a BP pill that does not make my husband faint. He won't take anymore of them.

Hope you find something that helps you, soon.

Kind regards, Janice

P.S. How are your plants doing?

Uff Da

Both my PCP and my cardiologist had been talking about increasing my BP meds last fall and winter. I was already on three BP meds, none at the lowest recommended dose. I told my PCP that I thought too many of my readings were not representative, as I often took my readings when I either thought I was too low or too high. So I talked her into giving me three months to take frequent readings under various circumstances to get a better picture, since my BP is highly variable. I took as many as five or six readings some days. As a result I was able to get her to cut the dose of all my meds in HALF a few days ago.

I did an incredible amount of web research in trying to figure out how to bring my numbers down without more meds. Here are some of the things I learned. Maybe you want to look into some of them.

Temperature has a big effect on BP for many people. I expect that part of my improvement was due to warmer weather and I might need to increase the dose of one or two of the meds again come fall. But I also realized that in the winter I am cold virtually every time I take my pressure at home, as the BP cuff can't be used over heavy sweaters or jackets, and one is supposed to sit quietly for five minutes to get an accurate reading. So I think my fall and winter readings may well give a poor picture of what my BP is under normal conditions.

Many people have a "morning surge" in BP, just as they have a DP in blood pressure. The morning surge is one reason there are more heart attacks and strokes the first few hours in the morning. If your doctor asks you to take your BP both morning and evening, he may be trying to determine how much you are affected by the typical morning surge.

Coenzyme Q10 has shown some good results in some of the research. In one study the average drop in systolic BP was over 17 points, yet only half the subjects had any drop at all. This was particularly effective for people with isolated systolic hypertension (high systolic, but normal or low diastolic). This is one of the things I am trying, as I have ISHT.

Melatonin, folic acid, garlic, chocolate, and celery have all shown at least mild lowering in some small studies. It is hard to draw any conclusion from those small studies, but since the cost is so little, some of those things may be worth a try.

Seagal

I wonder how many bp meds could be reduced if the thyroid problem was addressed?  Mine have been normal since I started taking it and I plan on discussing reducing the bp meds.  I have been on every bp med around and nothing worked, what might have worked didn't agree with kidneys or elevated lab numbers or caused "that" cough.  I now take nifedrine and wonder if it is the bp pill change or the fact that I started a thyroid med about the same time. 

BP is so important to keep under control, but there are so many ways to help without being laden with more pills.  They blamed my "suspected" heart attack on out of control bp for years that ravaged my arteries, but nothing definitive.

stinastina

Thank you, everyone, for all your great advice. I do take a biotin supplement. I think it may help with my thinning hair (thanks to the hctz).

I will see how I do without them. And take a pill or half if I start to go high.

Uff Da, I am usually lower in the morning.

Last month I went to my Dr. with terrible swelling in my ankles. She said, 'Oh, it is the Losartan, stop taking it.' I had been on it for a month. I had a spot on the back of my leg that was close to ulceration. Dark, swollen and very painful. It has been a couple of weeks but the swelling is all gone & that bad spot eventually cleared up. They are entirely too free in prescribing these pills. They don't actually suffer the effects. If it was their legs swelling like that, they would be less willing to put it on other people, but most of them are young and not yet on any of these evil pills. She then told me to break the other BP pill in half and take 1 & 1/2 a day. Well the pill is a time release that says clearly on the bottle - DO NOT BREAK OR CRUSH. I stopped everything. Then my BP went sky high. I started back Metoprolol ER 50 mg and HCTZ 25 mg. She tells me the HCTZ is just a 'water' pill. It raises your BP. Maybe I better stop that one. Although, now that I have started back my BP has been running 136/71. That sure beats 190/84.

Before, another BP pill made me cough. She acts frustrated when I talk to her about BP meds. I wouldn't want to be her. I bet she hears from people all day long. She has NEVER come up with a BP pill that does not make my husband faint. He won't take anymore of them.

Hope you find something that helps you, soon.

Kind regards, Janice

P.S. How are your plants doing?

Janice - that spot sounded awful ! I'm glad it went away. I haven't bought any plants yet, unfortunately.

jwags

I do get that morning surge in my BP especially when I drink coffee. The Lisnopril has really calmed that down. But once in awhile my BP does go too low.

stinastina

How do I know if I have this white coat phenomenon ? I went to the doctor today and after sitting in the waiting room for over an hour chock full of screaming babies, my bp was 148/96 and pulse was 103. When I got home, I was normal.

coob

Waiting an hour for the doctor in a room full of screaming babies will raise anyone's blood pressure! haha! But if you're bp was normal at home, I'd say you might have white coat hypertension. It's very common, in fact. For some reason, when we get our bp taken, we feel like we're being tested and might not pass. :-) Was the doc concerned?

stinastina

After being on bp meds for a couple of years, I went to a homeopath, to see if we could find a natural way to bring the bp's down. I have been on a supplement for about six weeks and my bp's now average about 115/65 (sometimes lower - last night 94/53.) some days I take a half a dose (25mg) of losartan, some I don't. Before I was taking 50 mgs losartan and a diuretic, and my bps were higher. The supplement is a powder consisting of Vit's C, D and B6, biotin, magnesium,taurine and grape seed extract. My homeopath told me to never take a diuretic - and taking it may have contributed to my high sugars. (why don't conventional docs tell us this stuff??)

Oh - and I have "white coat hypertension" and the blood pressure is always - without exception - higher at the docs.

I want your  supplement ! Is it something special they blend or does it have a name so I could buy it ?

coob

Hi Stinastina,

I think that my doctor makes this concoction herself.  I don't think she'd "prescribe" it to you without at least talking to you and maybe seeing you.  I listed the ingredients above and perhaps you can check with your local health food store (we have Whole Foods and Vitamin Shoppe here) to see if they could give suggestions.   If you want my doc's phone number, let me know.

pnkbrd66

I am on my third medication. first was lisonipril which made me cough. then Diovan which made me dizzy now I am on losartan. I have been on it a week today and my pressure this morning was 132/67

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.