Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ela

Almond Bread

Ela

Heavy rains two days in a row freed some from walking, which I spent on baking!

I followed the recipe very painstakingly except my blender died and I failed to make my son's food processer work, so I just used the old manual whisk.  It seems to work just fine and if I spent more time on the process itself (doubtful), I saved on washing the machines and next time I'm not even going to attempt to use any electrical gadgets. 

The only little problem was that I decided that since I followed directions completely and even measured every little thing (imagine that!), I could trust the timing too.  However I'm discovering now that I misread the timing (reminds me to visit an eye doctor) and thought that the recipe calls for 1 hr 15 min, when in fact it was 1 hr - 1 hr 15 min.  And I went to check on my bread about 1 hr 5-7 minutes and it was a bit overcooked already.  It didn't burn but the crust was much darker and thicker than on a picture, so my advice - check it often and depending on your oven 1 hour is probably enough. 

But it's still pretty good.  It's not fluffy and rather dense but moist and soft .  The texture reminds me more of a cake than bread (and it gives me other ideas!) but it's totally usable for spreading your butter or cream cheese or whatever you wish on it.  And it's pretty filling as well.  Good item for breakfast IMO. 

Here is the link:

http://ginnyslowcarbkitchen.blogspot.com/2010/11/almond-bread-for-stuffing-or-eating.html

Here is the picture:

almond+bread+2010-11-20+001.JPG

And here is a recipe if the link doesn't work:

Almond Bread

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup coconut oil -- melted
8 ounces fat free cream cheese -- softened
3 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups almond meal, blanched

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (180 C.)

Place first 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix with electric mixer until very creamy and thick. Or you can put into a food processor and process.

Add the almond meal and mix well.

Grease a loaf pan (about 4" x 8") generously (I spray with non-stick cooking spray). Pour dough into the pan.

Bake at 350 for about 1 hour or 1 hour and 15 min. until lightly browned on top. Check by inserting a metal kitchen knife; it will come out clean when bread is done. Remove from oven and run a bread knife around the edges of the pan to loosen. Remove bread from pan by inverting the pan onto a cake rack. Allow to cool thoroughly before you cut it. Don't cut it while it is piping hot. It needs to firm up its texture.

Variations: For Bananna bread: 1/2 cup sweetener added, 1 tsp. banana flavoring, and use 1/2 c. flaxmeal and 2 cups almond meal. Or for lemon bread use 1 tsp. lemon flavoring, 1 TBS lemon juice, and add poppy seeds.
or: add 1 TBS. of caraway seeds with the flour and you will get a bread that resembles rye bread.

JanetP

Printed and added to my evegrowing stack of recipes to try.  Thank you.  I am always looking for a good bread recipe.

jwags

I use to use her site alot but forgot about her lately. Thanks for reminding me about her.  I find all recipes depend on your oven and the altitude you live at.  I find almond flour is tricky to work with some times and is often dry.

Ela

Here is a trick I used for my bread being overcooked and actually that's what my grandma did with all her breads anyway. 

Instead of putting it on a rack I wrapped it up in a cotton kitchen towel.  Bread is still "breathes" but keeps it's moisture.  And actually the crust that was overcooked and a bit too dry improved it's texture.  I kept the towel overnight, just till my bread cooled down and then I put it in a plastic bag (didn't remove the towel) and in the morning took it off and after breakfast put it just in plastic - it's just easier to get to it.  My grandma though kept bread in the towel till it was gone.

jims_forum

My biggest issue was with almond flour and getting accurate amounts. It is real fluffy and easily compacted and can end up with more than

the 2.5 cups. Now that I weigh that stuff on a scale, I get good consistent results. Regular grain flour does not show that same nonsense and I got fooled over that with the almond flour.

Java

i don't weigh it and have never had any issues with it

really diggin the things i've made lately with it but need to stop bakin so regularly and just do it maybe on the weekend or a couple times a month cause the pounds are goin back on my body and that's not good

:angry:

GrammaBear

Maybe it is just my oven, but I often find that baked goods that have almond flour tend to get brown faster than other grains.  Over the weekend I made a loaf of Paleo Banana bread for my DH and that loaf got so brown I was tempted to give it to the birds in the garden.  The taste was good but the texture was very soft.

Ela ~ How was the texture of the bread recipe you posted?  The picture looks perfect.

GrammaBear

Is there a reason for fat free cream cheese?

From what I read when I clicked on the link, the recipe calls for fat free because it supposedly contains less carbs and less calories.

Lady Imp

The almond bread sounds delicious!  What are your thoughts on sprouted grain breads?

I was at my local health foods store today looking into sprouted grain breads, and just looking at the ingredient list on some of them shot my BG through the roof...most of what's in there my body does not like very much unfortunately. :( 

I would love to hear how the texture is on this bread, I would love to try it out but I'm not sure how I would like something that's super duper grainy-feeling...

Ela

Oh the low fat thing :wacko: .  I just copied the recipe and forgot to delete the darn thing!  In the comments the lady who posted the recipe explained that the brand she uses has less carbs and calories in low fat version, so that's why she uses it.  But it's not essential.  I used the regular full fat cream cheese.

The texture is kind of similar to pound cake and actually I'm thinking of making one by adding some sweetener & vanilla & maybe something else to the recipe.  And no, it didn't come out grainy- it's dense but soft and moist.  But you got to have good blanched almond flour.  Because before I used Bob's Red Mill's and things came a bit grainy.  This time around I used Honeyville Farms' and it's MUCH better.  No, nothing like sprouted breads from the store.  My husband was adamantly against those and I had to discontinue buying them ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.