Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAgirl

Whose 'back on track' with their LC diet?

GAgirl

So I have the falling off the LC wagon thread, now here's the back on track thread. 

You don't have to be back on forever, just the fact that you want to put in writing that you did well on your LC diet one day, a week, a month, or whatever. so you can feel accomplished. :congrats:  :five:   :party: 

I will start as yesterday I really tried hard to get back on track. I did well and this morning my fbg was 107!

Today I am doing well so far and for dinner I should do ok as I have a pork butt roasting and will have a salad or veggies with it. I also made a 3 minute lc brownie last night so I have some of that left and I heat it and pour HWC over it so it is like melted vanilla ice cream on top, hee-hee. Had it last night too for desert/snack and bg's were stable and good.

What about you all? Whose back on???

samuraiguy

I began phase 1 of the Diabetes Miracle diet on 5-4-14 (no more than 25 net carbs per day), and am past the initial loopiness.  I was never on a VLC diet for long before (about 1 month after diagnosis and then 2 weeks for DASH diet weight loss phase 1). I managed to adapt most of my favorite foods to VLC anyways so doing fine, but am looking forward to phase 2 in July when I can reintroduce some fruit and beans and have an occasional carby cheat--right now just enjoying all my non-carby cheats.  Hoping to reset my liver and pancreas to extend the time I can go with out meds or insulin, but not adverse to either if needed.

GAgirl

BTW- here is the recipe for the 3 minute microwave brownies (LC) I talked about in post #1 - click here   Recipe

I think stinastinas originally found this and posted about it ...if I am wrong, sorry, thanks to whomever it was!! This was super quick easy and left my sweet-tooth happy!

GAgirl

I began phase 1 of the Diabetes Miracle diet on 5-4-14 (no more than 25 net carbs per day), and am past the initial loopiness.  I was never on a VLC diet for long before (about 1 month after diagnosis and then 2 weeks for DASH diet weight loss phase 1). I managed to adapt most of my favorite foods to VLC anyways so doing fine, but am looking forward to phase 2 in July when I can reintroduce some fruit and beans and have an occasional carby cheat--right now just enjoying all my non-carby cheats.  Hoping to reset my liver and pancreas to extend the time I can go with out meds or insulin, but not adverse to either if needed.

Congrats dude!

post-51677-0-89491700-1400028980.gif

samuraiguy

BTW- here is the recipe for the 3 minute microwave brownies (LC) I talked about in post #1 - click here   Recipe

I think stinastinas originally found this and posted about it ...if I am wrong, sorry, thanks to whomever it was!! This was super quick easy and left my sweet-tooth happy!

The Diabetes Miracle diet has a similar one I like that uses golden flax meal and nut butter of your choice. I top with a cream cheese frosting. I should add the SF chocolate chips :lol:. SF Jello is a good fruit substitute which I top with homemade whipped cream, but make your own from a box, the little cups sometimes have carbs.

JanetP

I make my own jello with kosher gelatin powder and SF fruit flavored syrup.  Quick and easy and you know what is in it.

Ela

Well, I never fell from the wagon except for the short jump down for Mother's day branch... :blush:  well, it WASN'T technically cheating as I consciously allow myself a bit of something for special occasion - I'm a human after all and one wrong meal is not the end of the world, right?.........  Where was I anyway? :blink:  .....oh ..yeah, my problem now it seems is that I'm not eating more and I have good BG most of the time but it seems that I started to gain weight... :( ...oh ...is it the wrong thread?  I guess I should report to the other one.....

But today was a good day: omelet with ham & turkey for breakfast, marinated and baked pork with frozen/stewed veggies  + few small tomatoes for lunch and a 2 small "salads" for dinner: shrimp salad & cheese "salad".  Should I provide recipes here or in the recipe section?  Oh, and I ate 4 home made chocolates...I guess that's where my problem starts... :blush: ....but I SWEAR those candies help my BG!!!

miketurco

I've been doing low-carb for five weeks, although I have to admit I've screwed up a couple times. I'm losing about a pound a week. It's discouraging to know that it's going to take me a year to lose fifty pounds. It's also encouraging. Weird? 

GAgirl

I've been doing low-carb for five weeks, although I have to admit I've screwed up a couple times. I'm losing about a pound a week. It's discouraging to know that it's going to take me a year to lose fifty pounds. It's also encouraging. Weird? 

No...not weird...totally understandable, LOL  :)

notme

I have been on track now for four months. It is a battle sometimes, but I find it easier to stay on track than trying to get back on track.

What I find most difficult is the sometimes lower intestines protest and saying no to really good french fries. I may have a french fry day once a month splurge in my future. Lost over 25 pounds.

The other issue I am having is now keeping weight on. I feel like the guy in the Stephen King books who kept losing weight and couldn't stop.

adiantum

re The other issue I am having is now keeping weight on.

I wish !!

Congratulations on your weight loss.

I guess I should try a regimented diet to kick start me  , but I'm afraid thin might be in but fats where it's at.

notme

You know adiantum that is what worked for me. I tried everything under the sun and nothing would help me lose. I did low carb, but it really didn't do much for me. Then the ridiculous cleansing diet for two weeks and BAM! I started mid January and by March over 20 pounds. If anyone would have told me that, I would have looked at them sideways. But hey, it worked for me. Maybe it will work for you too.

miketurco

I have been on track now for four months. It is a battle sometimes, but I find it easier to stay on track than trying to get back on track.

I realize that I have no choice but to get onto some lifetime eating plan. One that will help control both my blood sugar and my weight. There's no other diet that is, to me, more satiating or easy to follow. The problem with low carb is you can't screw up. You can only seriously screw up. As a sugar addict I can tell you, it's a tough row to hoe.

samuraiguy

I realize that I have no choice but to get onto some lifetime eating plan. One that will help control both my blood sugar and my weight. There's no other diet that is, to me, more satiating or easy to follow. The problem with low carb is you can't screw up. You can only seriously screw up. As a sugar addict I can tell you, it's a tough row to hoe.

I know I could never stick to it long time (gotta have my real pasta and sweet treat on occasion) and have found lower carb with timed exercise is sufficient--heck, I lost the bulk of my weight adhering to closer to the ADA carb levels, but walking 10k steps a day. I guess the Diabetes Miracle diet is more about timing when you eat and how many carbs per meal so you can remain in all three phases as you like--I basically exist in phase 2.5 anyway, 75-130 net daily carb range with 2 allowable cheats a week.  My biggest problem is eating right before I go to bed and in the middle of the night if you wake up as I have GERDS and is another reason HF isn't a long term solution for me as fat takes 3 x as much stomach acid to digest :P

MalteseMom

I need help getting back on track.

FBG is in triple digits 6th day in a row.

I've checked my fat-carb-protein intake 17 days.

Fat consistently over 60% but rarely over 70% of total calories,

carbs was over 20% on (5 days were carb count over 30 -actual calories

Protein consistently over 20% of total calories (for 14 days)

Calories rarely over 1000, weight hovering around 140 so no real weight loss

Limited exercise (line dance class ended mar 25

So looks like I need to lower protein, better control carbs, increase fat and exercise to get back on track. Who concurs? Who has other suggestions?

MalteseMom

I really get it. I'm struggling now to get into ketosis. My checker stick has never turned purple so if I've been in ketosis it's been barely in. Even though my fat intake is over 60% of total calories. (Calorie intake 800-1050 day.

My point here is it seems that the slightest detour in fat, carbs & protein stops the whole process for me. My carb intake is usually under 30 a day. (5 days out of 17 was over 30). Fat intake was only under 60 % once (51%), proteins, however, were consistently over 20 % but not a lot (2-8%) prolly due to restaurant meals where I relied on meat & not carbs. And my FBG has been low 100s for 6 days. I, for one really struggle with having cheat days, etc. seems I have to be all in or not at all if I want to lose the remainder of my weight and get my FBG back under 100.

GAgirl

Congrats to all who are "back on track" today as you can see from posts that everyone has a tough time of it and even if it's for one day...congrats!

post-51677-0-89491700-1400028980.gif
post-51677-0-13383400-1398299387_thumb.gif

Sunny4art

Where would I find this Diabetes  Miracle diet? I'm a newbie here & working hard to lose weight. Got my sugar numbers down but only lost 22lbs in 3 mths -very difficult with no recipes for diabetics. 

Kit

Check the Recipes section.  There's a lot there.  You'll also find links to other sites with some great stuff on it.

That said, I seem to be having success with a diet slightly modified from my childhood.  When I grew up, meals were meat (or protein of choice), a starch, and 2 veg.  I skip the starch now and just do a simple meat (fatty meats preferred) and 2 veg (low carb veggies) with some added fat like olive oil based salad dressings, HWC, etc.

I use the veggies to soak up juices/sauces where before I would use a starch like potatoes or rice, etc.

The only exception to this is breakfast.  I can't tolerate that amount of carbs in the morning.

Peggy_TX

I guess I'm "back on track" ...   I've had a # of things going on lately (thyroid biopsy, bladder biopsy, arthritis flare-ups so bad I can't hold my coffee some days, dealing with newly diabetic dog... and then oral surgery that had me unable to chew for 3 weeks....   and some other stuff), and haven't been paying a lot of attention to my glucose levels.

I get ill when my sugar gets close to 200, so I sort of have a built-in "hard stop" on eating too many carbs.

But nothing really keeps me from eating "a little here and there" that might bump my sugar up to 160-180..   and lately I've leaned on those "cheats" a little too often.

But I've been better about choices since I've been in less pain the last few weeks.

And while my A1C wasn't as good as it's been, I tested at 6.0 yesterday.   So I guess I didn't stray TOO badly.

We did have a HUGE launch party at work today...   I mostly stuck to eggs for breakfast.. skipped the pastries and the tortillas... even skipped the mimosas!    but there may have a been a serving (or 2.   or 3) of this most fabulous grilled pineapple with some sort of spicy/chili powder....   meter says it wasn't too bad.   So I'm still calling it "on track"     :)

Seagal

Where would I find this Diabetes  Miracle diet? I'm a newbie here & working hard to lose weight. Got my sugar numbers down but only lost 22lbs in 3 mths -very difficult with no recipes for diabetics. 

Can't say about the Miracle diet, but Lordy there are trillions of low carb recipe sites (including the ones here).  There are low carb substitutes for everything imagineable including tiramisu, chocolate eclairs, faux rice, cheesy faux potatoes, breads, muffins, cookies.....well, you get the idea:)  If you have a favorite recipe, just google "low carb...." and you will find one.  If you don't like to cook, well, that may make it a bit more difficult, but there are ways if you are determined.

I'm not sure where in the forum the list is, but there is one that lists low carb sites.  Some of my favorites are : The Lighter Side, Fluffy Chix Cook, Dana Carpendar, Ginny's Kitchen, Low Carb Friends and oh my....the list just goes on.

You are doing great to lose 22 pounds in three months!  Some lose faster than others, but we all have different metabolisms, so stay on whatever path you want to follow for the long term (with any variations to suit your lifestyle)and you will avoid complications and have a splendid journey!  Welcome to the forum.

BTW, stay away from any recipe labeld "diabetic", mostly they definitely are not.  We, as diabetics are intolerant of carbs, so doing the low carb thing is beneficial to our health.

stinastina

I am back on track (even though the day is only half way over). I fell off on my birthday (4/21) and have been struggling to eat clean lc ever since. My baby boy's birthday was Monday so I ate some of his cake for 2 days even though we went to a friend's house and I only ate the meat and cheese. My friends said I looked like a different person (I lost weight doing lchf this year). I seriously sat there and refused carrots, potatoes, rice and a tomatoe-y chili sauce. Then went home and ate cake ! :( I  am so glad that cake is gone !

GAgirl

I guess I'm "back on track" ...   I've had a # of things going on lately (thyroid biopsy, bladder biopsy, arthritis flare-ups so bad I can't hold my coffee some days, dealing with newly diabetic dog... and then oral surgery that had me unable to chew for 3 weeks....   and some other stuff), and haven't been paying a lot of attention to my glucose levels.

I get ill when my sugar gets close to 200, so I sort of have a built-in "hard stop" on eating too many carbs.

But nothing really keeps me from eating "a little here and there" that might bump my sugar up to 160-180..   and lately I've leaned on those "cheats" a little too often.

But I've been better about choices since I've been in less pain the last few weeks.

And while my A1C wasn't as good as it's been, I tested at 6.0 yesterday.   So I guess I didn't stray TOO badly.

We did have a HUGE launch party at work today...   I mostly stuck to eggs for breakfast.. skipped the pastries and the tortillas... even skipped the mimosas!    but there may have a been a serving (or 2.   or 3) of this most fabulous grilled pineapple with some sort of spicy/chili powder....   meter says it wasn't too bad.   So I'm still calling it "on track"     :)

Wheeeeeeeeeeee! Congrats for what you DIDN'T EAT that you easily COULD HAVE! :congrats: 

GAgirl

I am back on track (even though the day is only half way over). I fell off on my birthday (4/21) and have been struggling to eat clean lc ever since. My baby boy's birthday was Monday so I ate some of his cake for 2 days even though we went to a friend's house and I only ate the meat and cheese. My friends said I looked like a different person (I lost weight doing lchf this year). I seriously sat there and refused carrots, potatoes, rice and a tomatoe-y chili sauce. Then went home and ate cake ! :( I  am so glad that cake is gone !

Happy belated b-day and your son's too!

post-51677-0-99961300-1397694538.gif

You inspire me with much of your postings and diet & recipe postings.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.