Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KelliMax

Its exhausting! Anyone relate?

KelliMax

I'm 15 weeks pregnant today.  My blood sugars were running low last week and crazy high this week.  I feel like I am in a constant state of worry and failure every day.  My a1c is still below 6 but I am afraid the next one might be bad.  I see my doctor every Monday and they constantly are changing settings on my pump.  I am just so tired of it and I am not even half way done.  I know I shouldn't worry so much but that's really hard... I am just exhausted, I wish I could enjoy this pregnancy more.  Any one else ever feel this way?  Thanks <3

Elizabeth_

Hi Kelli. Congratulations on your 15-week mark. I'm only 8 weeks now, but can completely sympathize with your exhaustion. I'm fortunate in that this is my second pregnancy (I have a healthy toddler), but it's my first as a Type 1 and it's really difficult to enjoy any of this. I'm worried all the time and one bad number can send me into a spiral of depression and self-doubt. I'm working so hard — harder than I think I ever have before — but there's so much on the line. The anxiety is affecting my sleep, too. Anyway, I'm right there with you and I'm only at week 8. Just keep swimming! <3

KelliMax

Same here Elizabeth... I have a healthy toddler but that pregnancy was before diabetes.  Thanks for the response... good luck, its hard work.  Just getting use to so many doctors appointments and pump setting changes and eating changes is definitely exhausting.  There are definitely good days and bad, glad to know we are in it together.  :)

LellyBelly

Yes I'm exhausted as well!! I feel like it is impossible to control sometimes. I'm either eating or getting a bolus constantly. Does this get easier or harder as the pregnancy goes along?!?

k_dub

Hi Kelli:

I just delivered my son in January.  I kept my A1c at 6.0% or lower during my entire pregnancy.  Some weeks were definitely harder than others.  My son was born at 37 weeks gestation - so a bit early, but he was perfectly healthy.  Apgar scores were 9 both times.  He had no issues with hypoglycemia or any other adverse outcome that could be linked to my diabetes.  All you can do is to do the best you can.  My endocrinologist was very reassuring.  There are people with much worse control that deliver perfectly healthy babies.  Is there anything specific that you feel like you need help with?  It's all still pretty fresh in my mind.  

I also kept a blog during my pregnancy.  You can find it here.

KelliMax

Thanks a lot "k_dub"  No nothing exactly.  I am very informed and doing well... my a1c last week was 5.2%  Some weeks/days are great where I think I have it all figured out, pump is all dialed in right then some days its not... and I understand that that is just apart of being T1 with pregnancy.  The insulin resistance can just be really draining when you finally figure out what bolus' and basals work right and then have to change them again.  

Congrats on a new baby in January, hope all is going well :)

KelliMax

Also "k_dub" (Kelly right?)  So funny I actually already have your blog open in a tab on my computer!  I have read it all.  Thanks so much!

KelliMax

I've had T1 for 2 years now... I was diagnosed after my first child (she was 7 months old) So this is my first pregnancy with T1

Tanikit

Exhaustion can be a symptom of a normal pregnancy - without diabetes. I know my sister had to sit on a chair just to have a shower as she was so worn out when pregnant and she is not a diabetic. I found it hard to get out of the bath later in pregnancy from tiredness and wanted to just stay in as long as I could. However the rollercoaster of sugar level control does have its own exhaustion linked to it - those constant changes and the stress associated with wanting a healthy baby and having more responsibility for it than the average pregnant woman can be exhausting.

Does the pregnancy get easier? That is very hard to say - I had the best time during weeks 20-24 with both pregnancies as the nausea had gone and my sugars were behaving reasonably. My hba1c was never as good as you are getting though but I was on MDIs and a rubbish insulin and had had type 1 for more than 20 years at that stage. Third trimester can be exhausting purely because the baby is bigger, Braxton Hicks may be happening and the stress of the birth and inability to sleep so easily can exhaust you. However in between all this exhaustion there are wonderful moments and you need to concentrate on those - feeling your baby kick, seeing him/her at scans, watching him/her grow inside you, preparing for the baby - getting things you need and setting up a room. 

My SIL recently had a normal pregnancy til third trimester and then had to be delivered at 31 weeks due to pre eclampsia and then HELLP syndrome. In many ways I felt my two diabetic pregnancies which were very rough were a lot easier than what she went through, but her baby is doing well, she has recovered and he should be home in a couple weeks time. I guess in the end what matters most is that Mom and baby are ok and that a new relationship can begin - however that happens and however exhausting and difficult it may be. 

Hang in there - your hba1c is great and you are doing really well. You are getting close to the halfway mark and hopefully things will give you a bit of a break then.

KelliMax

Thanks "Tanikit"  thats a good perspective.  I am looking forward to second trimester and finding out the babies gender in 2 weeks!  Insulin resistance has slowed these past 2 weeks, which was a much needed break!  I can't wait to feel baby kick, I am 17 weeks now and not much feeling yet... that will be so fun.  Thanks!

Tanikit

That is exciting - it will be nice to plan names and be able to get things for your baby. Feeling kicking can vary greatly depending on where the placenta is but it could be soon.

Elizabeth_

I was checking back to see how you are doing and it looks like you are doing great! 5.2! Amazing! I'm 10 weeks now and was so relieved last week when we were able to see Blueberry moving around on the ultrasound and hear the heartbeat. I've also just hit a patch of reduced insulin need, which is sort of freaking me out. I'm anxious to get my a1c next week — and see the baby again in a few weeks. It's hard to trust that everything is going OK in there!

KelliMax

Yea Elizabeth, I am nervous for my big ultra sound scan/gender scan coming up... there is no reason anything should be wrong but its still scary being the first pregnancy with diabetes.  seeing my peanut a lot bigger on the ultra sound scan will be so fun and more motivating to keep pushing through the tough days and tough blood sugars and insulin resistance I know is still to come.  Hope your next a1c goes well!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.