Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CandaceV

"Metformin: Antibiotic with Autoimmune Side Effects"

CandaceV

Here is a link to the latest post on a blog I follow named "Cooling Inflammation".  The author is a PhD and his bio is on the right of the blog.

This particular post is regarding Metformin and I found it informative and interesting.  I personally don't take Metformin, but lots of people here do.

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/2014/05/metformin-antibiotic-with-autoimmune.html

JuliaDay2013

I found this interesting.  I will have to take a bit more time to read again and ponder the implications.

Thanks for posting the link!

GAgirl

Thanks for that!!

Here's a quote from his other page on Allergy and inflamation: QUOTE

Summary Diet Truths

Truth:  There is nothing magic about healthy foods.  All that is needed are protein (meat, fish, eggs, dairy, beans, etc.; plant and animal proteins are equivalent), fats (from leaf and meat, not omega-6-rich seeds) andsoluble fiber (to feed gut flora) from their original sources to retain naturally abundant micronutrients (vitamins, except C, are usually unimportant.)  That is my Anti-Inflammatory Diet and supplements should not be needed.  Natural, local foods are healthy, but there are no super foods and exotic does not mean better.  Variety does not compensate for low quality.  Your gut flora needs time to adjust, especially to new soluble fiber, so just change foods with the seasons, not daily, and make sure that you are sampling new bacteria in live fermented foods to make your gut community adaptable.

stinastina

My first issue is that the author links lupus as a side effect of metformin. I have never heard that before. I did a google search and found no evidence of it. Has anyone else read this ?

Kit

My SIL has Lupis and is neither diabetic nor does she appear to have diabetes in her immediate family.  (I don't know about more extended family members.)

GAgirl

My first issue is that the author links lupus as a side effect of metformin. I have never heard that before. I did a google search and found no evidence of it. Has anyone else read this ?

I read that, but to me, and this goes for all my autoimmune issues and in life in general...you need to weigh the good and the bad and see what is best for you as if one thing doesn't kill you, something else will. To ME quality of life is important because you are alive NOW and you need to be as healthy and as happy as you can because there may never be a tomorrow. My parents waited their whole lives for their golden years...there was none for them They got ill in their mid 50's and disabled and spent the next 25 years living disabled at home in pain and suffering. My father had no life as he had to be a 24 hr. caregiver to his wife and by the time she passed he was too old and feeble to have a life. Now he just gets through the day and so I learned to do all I can to feel as ggod as I can even if that means today I am in pain...maybe tomorrow I won;t be, so that gives me drive and hope to do whatever it takes to make today all it can be and for me Metformin has made a huge difference for me even at one a day and so had the LCHF way of eating in conjunction with the Met. If something else comes of it, I will deal with that when it happens and do the best with that outcome as I have with CFS/ME and T2.  Too many ahve used Met over the years for me to feel weary about it. Now Actos, NO!!! LOL :lol:

JanetP

Interesting article.  Thank you.  I have seen many people with both lupus and diabetes or other autoimmune diseases and T2.

CandaceV

Hi,

You might be able to ask him, look at the bottom of his post and leave a message.  He answers questions, and that's a good one.

GAgirl

Also, the author has done a lot of research on gut flora, which is apparently more important to health than previously thought.

Hence my siggy and my allergy and gut therapies.... :)

Cora

I did the same thing, including a search of medline, and found no legitimate evidence to indicate this. Although there are a few blogs and forums where people are claiming this.  As I've read previously on this forum, "if it's not peer reviewed, it doesn't exist".

stinastina

Hence my siggy and my allergy and gut therapies.... :)

Have you ever tried kimchi or other fermented veggies ? I don't have gut issues but I had some kimchi at the farmer's market and it was delicious ! The lady who made it swore it was loaded with probiotics.

GAgirl

i eat a ton of sauerkraut but I was told it's better to make it yourself at home, but I don;t have the energy for that. I also eat pickled beets. Never tried the Kimchi, but my store has some, just looks gross to me in the jar. What's in it?

JanetP

I keep raw cauliflower and carrots in a brine solution with garlic, onions, dill, and pickling spices added.  Just add to the brine when they get low.  A good source of home-grown probiotics, fiber, and a solution for carb cravings. The next fermentation experiment will be saurkraut and the apple cider experiments will continue.  they are not at all difficult to do, just throw stuff in a container, cover with a porous cloth of coffee filter, and let it sit till it is ready.

stinastina

i eat a ton of sauerkraut but I was told it's better to make it yourself at home, but I don;t have the energy for that. I also eat pickled beets. Never tried the Kimchi, but my store has some, just looks gross to me in the jar. What's in it?

51bd9257dbd0cb1fc50023fb._w.540_s.fit_.J

"Mak kimchi, or simple kimchi, is made with cut cabbage, radish, and scallions and a seasoned paste of red pepper, garlic, ginger, sugar, and fish sauce, salted shrimp, or kelp powder."

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-cabbage-kimchi-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-189390

GAgirl

doesn't the sugar and the radishes make it higher in carbs, or should I ask what the serving size is ...maybe it's low carb and if you are eating it I KNOW it's lc, LOL...

Has anyone bought the Kimchi at the grocery store in the jar in the cold section...forget the brand, maybe Nasoya???

stinastina

doesn't the sugar and the radishes make it higher in carbs, or should I ask what the serving size is ...maybe it's low carb and if you are eating it I KNOW it's lc, LOL...

Has anyone bought the Kimchi at the grocery store in the jar in the cold section...forget the brand, maybe Nasoya???

It's only 1 teaspoon of sugar, so that's 4 carbs for the jar. I have not bought it from the store. Are the store brands really fermented ? I don't know for sure but it seems like something that is fermented would not keep like something that is preserved ??

GAgirl

Well, don;t want to stray too far from the thread  title, but I did find a lot of info that was interesting and useful on the link CAndace V posted. As for Metformin being classified as an antibiotic due to it's makeup,I say...ok, fine...it works, so I'm taking it.  :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.