Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ParishM

Your Gabapentin Experiences

ParishM

picked up a script for Gabapentin today, doctor prescribed it for

mild to medium leg and foot pain. he originally mentioned LYRICA

but without insurance it's way too expensive at $450+ monthly.

i've also read about lots of side effects with LYRICA. script says

to take three 300mg pills daily.

i'm always nervous about trying drugs for the first time.

anyone care to share their experience with Gabapentin, good or

bad ?

janice21475

Hi Parish,

The Foot Dr gave me a prescription for Gabapentin 100mg 2xs a day. That was about 2 months ago. I had been having terrible pain in my toes.

I have been taking it and things got better BUT I have since learned that the left foot had the pain because I have been cutting my toenails wrong. I was cutting them too closely and as they start to grow out the edges of the sides were cutting into my toes. The other day I was Googling around about ingrown toenails and read about taking a tiny bit of cotton, rolling it and sticking/stuffing it beneath the edge and keeping it there until the nail grew out where it does not cut into the toe. I did that and taped it up so the cotton would stay in place (there was no broken skin). I have had ZERO pain since then. I am stopping those pills. No need to fill my body with any I don't need.

I still have the cramping in my calves and feet but Gaba doesn't help that, anyway.

My Husband took it, at a much higher dosage. He experienced instability walking - balancing issues. Stopped it cold turkey and got a bad reaction but he survived without an emergency room visit. The drug didn't do that much to help his pains, anyway.

Hope you get more replies, maybe some positive ones, even. :D

About your avatar? What's up with that bloody thing??? It really creeps me out.  :)

ParishM

kinda surprised at only 1 response, i guess Gabapentin isn't very popular.

what other drugs are people taking for neuropathy ?

Janice.....the avatar is from the tv show "The Mentalist" and was used by the serial killer

Red John.  i just thought it looked cool  :D

janice21475

In my reality, nothing used by a Serial Killer could be cool. But, you are young. When I was young I went to the Ringling Museum and brought home the ugliest troll lawn statue. Thankfully, it did not survive the test of time. :D

JuliaDay2013

I was prescribed it a couple of years ago for a different nerve pain. It didn't work. Just took it a few weeks and then weaned myself off.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.