Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAgirl

Accidentally discovered a new fake french toast (LC/ SF)

GAgirl

Ok, I was making Ina's Eggplant Gratin (recipe in RECIPES)

and I tasted one plain -after it was fried in EVOO and it reminded me of the taste of french toast , only softer, obviously....

So I dusted a bit of cinnamon on top and ate another one and it was like french toast!

I just fried this straight away, but to me if you dip it in egg first , then fry it , then add the cinnamon , it would be a soft veggie LC/SF fake french toast...

I will do this next time and top with whipped cream!

​If you try it, let us know what you think, but I could do a plate of several for a snack and be ok with that.post-51677-0-74607700-1401575370.gif

BTW- I peel the skin off with a potato peeler first.

stinastina

Interesting...I will let someone else try it first ! I have used eggplants to make a lasagna.

GAgirl

You wimps! :P  :aetsch: 

I didn't say it was great, just worked...LOL :lol: 

Many chefs do sweet and savory together... :lol: I'm no chef...maybe it was all the evoo in the tasteless eggplant that made me think of it as tasting like a fake softer french toast...and of course good cinnamon...

you all are too funny!

stinastina

You wimps! :P  :aetsch: 

I didn't say it was great, just worked...LOL :lol: 

Many chefs do sweet and savory together... :lol: I'm no chef...maybe it was all the evoo in the tasteless eggplant that made me think of it as tasting like a fake softer french toast...and of course good cinnamon...

you all are too funny!

Lol ! I could see how it might be tasty to somebody ! Today in the lc recipe thread on fb, someone posted a pic of pemmican. Oh my goodness, the responses ! I had to laugh because it did look awful but too many people got offended at those who thought it looked nasty. Hey, everyone has different tastebuds. My teenager pretty much hates everything I love. 

Peggy_TX

EGGPLANT for French Toast??!

Um...  I love eggplant, but I'm not even THINKING about trying it for french toast!!!!   LOL

On the other hand, this is MY "fake french toast" weekend discovery -- and I can't wait to try it   http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/strawberry-angel-food-cake/

(low carb angel food cake, repurposed as french toast...  nom nom nom!)

GAgirl

That recipe looks good!

I am not meaning it's really LIKE french toast, just that with the fried thing going on in a non-specific tasting slice of eggplant, you can make it like a greasy piece of french toast just by adding an egg to it and some sprinkling of cinnamon...it had no taste otherwise, so you can dream it to taste like whatever  you coat it with...now makes sense? It's not bad sprinkled with cinnamon, really.... :)

Hey, I wouldn't go out of you way to do this, but if you are frying eggplant , just sprinkle one with cinnamon and see what you think...it's not gonna kill you.  :D Then you can tell me if you really hate it or not... :blink:

mzteacher

Peggy,

I got that recipe today on Facebook. I too can't wait to try it! I went to the health food store today to get that brand of protein powder so I can try it. It sure does look just wonderful!! Since I am not a fan of eggplant this looks way more tempting!!

But hats off to GAgirl for a darn creative cooking idea!! Though no thanks this time  :)

Peggy_TX

OK....  I must admit that I love cinnamon in almost anything, including savoy foods (I put a TON of it in chili!!)

So clearly cinnamon on fried eggplant could be awesome.   

I would just never in a million years compare it to french toast!!!!   LOL

pat593

Interesting but may be too much work for me! 

I do love JWAGS lc pancakes - I soften the cream cheese in the microwave (easier than using a cuisinart), beat in the eggs, and pour in the skillet - serve with whipped cream and cinnamon. 

But I do like the idea of using eggplant for fiber - I will try it soon since eggplant season is just around the corner. 

GAgirl

OK, ok, I must move on... :lol:

*makes popcorn & grabs another beer*

:D

me.loves.y'all.

:wub:

that was popCORN, right?   Not popEGGPLANT?!?    LOL

do you really think it's that easy?!??!   *insert evil laugh here*

You guys are CRACKING me the h**l up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you all, too! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :wub:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.