Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

Common diabetes pills -- cost what do they do?

miketurco

I'm on the lookout for a new doctor. Since I last saw my doctor (end of last year?) I've been able to get my bg down quite a bit (yea to dietary experimentation!) so I've got to talk to the new doc about changing meds and/or dosages.

I'd like to find a list of common diabetes meds and get an idea of how they work and what they cost. And/or what others here are taking, etc. So that I don't go into the doctor and not know what he's recommending.

Thanks,

Mike

princesslinda

Here's a good list:  http://diabetes.about.com/od/equipmentandbreakthroughs/a/med_ref_chart.htm

I am on metformin 500 mg twice daily, have been since diagnosis.  I tried Byetta injections for awhile, had good numbers with it, but had a lot of problems with constipation and had to stop it.  I pay a $5 co-pay for the metformin, but it's on the $4 plan at many pharmacies for those w/o insurance.  I paid $40/month co-pay on Byetta as there was no generic, I also had to buy needles for the pen.

Seagal

Not a prescription med, but I use Insulow (R-Ala w/biotin)which improves carbohydrate utilization and uptake, acts as an insulin memetic (they say), is a great anti-oxidant, fights free radicals and works with a low or very low carb program and is recommended by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein.  I get mine from Amazon on the Subscribe & Save plan for about $37 for 180 capsules.  There are less expensive R-Ala but they don't include the necessary biotin.  Regular Ala is half as potent as R-ala, but you can google info on both if interested.

Timing and consistency is key in taking this and it can take several weeks to notice a difference. 

stinastina

My r-ALA from Amazon does have biotin in it. It only costs $16. It's called Dr.'s Best.

Best wishes finding a new doctor. I hope you get one that helps you and listens to you.

JanetP

Thanks for the link, Linda.  It is most helpful.  Bookmarked.

I went through an entire bottle of Insulow and did not notice a difference in anything.  How many weeks is several weeks?  Wondering if I should give it another shot.

jwags

Metformin generics are on the $4 list at most chain pharmacies. Any brand name drug will cost you much more. We have a very high deductible so we always pay full price on our drugs. My husband uses Actos and has great results but at our local pharmacy it was almost $250 a month. So we get it at a Canadian pharmacy for 60% off.

JanetP

Heads up for those of you who depend upon the WalMart $4 list.  I was gossiping with a pharmacist yesterday and she told me that WalMart (she does not work there) is giving up on the $4 prescriptions and switching to be more like a "regular" pharmacy starting in October.  

My sister is a pharmacy tech working for WalMart and she had not heard that, but says it would be very typical of the way they have been doing things lately.  She has worked for WalMart in one capacity or another for 25 years.

So, for what it is worth. . .that is the latest rumor on "the street".   :P

Lady Imp

Didn't someone once post a picture of an advertisement for either free or reduced-carb Met that was right next to some Chips Ahoy somewhere on the boards? That was at Publix if memory serves me correctly...that might be an option. I'm also looking at a prescription bag from Meijer right now and they offer Metformin immediate release for free. I know both chains are regional, but all hope is not lost yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.