Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KelliMax

Doula at birth?

KelliMax

Did any one have a doula present at their birth?  If so, was it difficult to explain Type 1 pregnancy to them?  was the doula scared to take you on as a client?  Did your doctor have any objections to you having a doula?   Just curious of the whole experience if any one had one... Thanks!  

I am leaning towards having one present :)

rubidoux

I had a doula and my husband didn't get or feel pushed out at all. It was really great to have her there bc she knew a lot of tricks to get me through that the hospital staff had no idea about. I had terrible back labor and I was only able to lie in one position, on my right side (I will never forget!), for about 22 hours bc baby's heart rate got messed up any time I moved. The doula showed us how to get through a contraction w much less pain by leaning super heavy into my hip as the contraction started. It was really hard work and it went on for about that whole 22 hours, so she and hubby took turns. If she hadn't have showed us that, I'm sure I would have given up and gotten the epidural much earlier. She gave me a fighting chance at my drug free vaginal birth. It didn't end up happening in the end but if was totally worth it to try.

And I'm sure you can find a doula who's bright enough to know whatever you need her to know about t1. In my case, I made hubby learn how to test my b/s and such, just in case, and didn't really feel the need to have the doula involved in that stuff.

My doc was not at all bothered, nor was the hospital staff. And I don't think the doula was concerned about my diabetes.

I HIGHLY recommend a doula. One of the main reasons I wanted one was bc my husband was adament that he was going to stay w me not baby. I really wanted him to be w baby *no matter what*. So I made them promise that doula stays w me, hubby goes w baby. We didn't have any family here and I think it was a good idea to have an extra person looking out for our interests, yk? Plus, we never woulda hot through that labor w/o her.

k_dub

I almost hired a doula, but she was in a different town and the arrangement didn't work out.  I ended up not needing her at all.  My labor and delivery went very quickly - total labor was 6 hours from start to finish.  There was a big snow storm that night and she wouldn't have been able to make it anyhow.

The doula I interviewed was well-versed with diabetes.  I had a pretty good birth plan lined out before I even talked to her (i.e., keeping my pump on and not doing insulin drip, etc).  A doula is just there to support you and your choices.  They typically don't have any sort of clinical training.

Rikki007s

I have heard that doulas drastically decrease your chances of getting a c-section, which is the main reason that I'm interested one. I know that diabetics have a much higher c-section rate than even the general public (~33% in the US for the general public and more than double for diabetics) and I'm really hoping to give myself the best chance at a natural delivery. For those who have used a doula, do you feel like she was able to help you avoid interventions even with diabetes? As the OP said, I'm wondering if doulas will be hesitant to take on a diabetic mom to be. 

Rdani87

There is a doula in my area who specializes in high risk pregnancies.  I want to use her when I have babies.  I very much want a natural birth experience and I truly think a doula is the way to go. 

coob

Two of my children were born at home, with a midwife and doula.  These were incredible births and having the doula was a real blessing!  I highly recommend it.  If your hospital has midwives on staff - or available to be there, you will greatly increase your chance of a natural healthy birth.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.