Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leonard Garcia

How do pharmacies schedule refills?

Leonard Garcia

My pharmacist won't open up on this, so I thought I would try this forum....

On refills for tablets, my doctor prescribes 1 or 2 a day and refill every 30 days, that one is easy.

On my Novolog insulin 10ml vials (not pens), the prescription is for 10 units with each meals, 3 meals a day.  The pharmacy will give me a refill vial every 22 or 23 days.  I can't figure how they calculate that.

On glucose test strips, the prescription is for 3 strips per day (that would be 3 x 30 days = 90 strips a month) but the pharmacy refills at 21 days or so (1 box of 100 strips). This seems to be 20 days?

Thanks.

Leonard

Leonard Garcia

I am using CVS Pharmacy and Medicare + Humana insurance. I should have asked how insurance schedules refills...

Lady Imp

My refills get based on when my insurance wants to allow me to refill. I cannot get more than a 30-day supply at a time. The way my insulin prescription is written, I need 2 vials + 140 units for 30 days...since they won't let me get 3 vials, since that amounts to roughly 40 days supply, they allow me to refill every 27 days.

My insurance has also flat-out refused to cover a prescription I recently got for a 30-day supply of antibiotics because it was for more than two weeks. Thankfully, it was one that my pharmacy offers a 15-day supply of for free...so what they did was they dispensed me 15 tabs with an IOU for the last 15. ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.