Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAgirl

Metformin

GAgirl

Metformin...thou are a heartless bi**h!

So I have taken the 2 Mets for s few days now and I have to literally run to the bathroom to empty out if you get my drift and I barely make it and today I was in a store and didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to run out  and pray there was nothing showing on the back of my pants and when I got home I was so embarrassed. but no one saw me. I felt like some baby!!!!

Second time his happened since I started taking 2 a day! Gurgling stomach and a cramp and then it's all said and done before I can realize what's going on- uncontrollable!

Anyone else have this effect? I remember I had some cramps and maybe some loose stuff when I first started taking the 1 pill back a year ago, but this is disastrous! 

I think it will go away in a week when my body gets used to it, but what do you all think?

I took the 2nd pill late last night around midnight-  I ate brunch today at 1:00 pm this afternoon of 2 eggs and bacon and took the first days pill 500 mg.and by 3:00 I was having the Metformin tradgedy! Thank God I have Leather seats! LMFAO!

Tell me if this happened to you on it?

JanetP

I took metformin for about a year and a half and had the same effect, no matter when I took it or with or without food, or whether it was the ER kind or the plain.  I finally got tired of dealing with it and have been trying other meds with mixed results.

Kit

I had similar but more mild affects when I first started Metformin and again when I started my evening dose.

It lasted about a week to 10 days and then stopped.

For some reason it only hit me in the morning in both cases and I was fine for the rest of the day.

GAgirl

Ok, ladies...i am thinking the same...a week or 10 days should get my system used to it again. Still, now scared to leave the house!!!

jims_forum

I would not increase a single dose that appears to work.  I would add additional spaced doses in time spaced about 3 to 5 hours apart.

When I first took metformin, recommendation was to take doses of 1000 mg. That made me feel bad and I cut in half. and used 500 mg..

i take one 500 mg dose 1 hour before a meal - 3 meals a day. I then take 1 at 10:00pm and one at 12:00am. I gave up taking a single or double large dose as a waste of pills. Generally I do not have any problems but have seen occasionally the trots like the nasty cruiuse disease trots that are grim as described.

Forester

Based on what available reseach I have read, I would be comfortable trying Medformin if I felt I could not control my blood sugar with diet and exercise alone.  It truly does seem "safe & effective" for those who are able to tolerate the side effects. 

Having said that, I will continue to try to control my remaining issue of "dawn phenomenon" through dietary manipulations until I am convinced that nothing but a drug intervention will work.

adiantum

(((HUGS))) GAGirl.  I'm sorry you have had to tolerate this side effect

I hope it settles down  soon

Ok, ladies...i am thinking the same...a week or 10 days should get my system used to it again. Still, now scared to leave the house!!!

princesslinda

GA, perhaps you'd have better luck on the ER version. I was fortunate not to have any issues on the regular (500 mg twice daily), but I felt the ER version would hold me longer due to the extended release.  Jim may be onto something as well in the way he staggers his doses. 

GAgirl

My doses are 500 mg regular Met in the morning or lunch now, and then another 500 Met at supper .  So that's staggered pretty far out. Also low dosage.

I stopped having issues with regular Met 500 1 pill about a week into starting it last year, so I will see if the diarrhea goes away within he week or so. I don't thin I need the ER as the regular Met to begin with was fine for me after my body got used to it after the first week so hoping this too will be the same.

If it continues after this whole week goes by I will let you all know and would be open to ER or doing something different, so let's see how this goes first. Thanks , all!!!

BTW- to the newbies, I am on LCHF diet and have been for a year since dx, so I keep good control, but it's still not enough in my opinion, so there's no way I would take away even 1 500 mg pill of Met. 

stinastina

You have to start slow. Cut that 500mg into 4 parts. Take 1 each night for 5 days. Then take 2 each night for 5 days. Eventually you will be up to the whole pill. This is the only way I could avoid the diarrhea. I take 2000mg now.

oblivious

I have tried Metformin at different stages now during my 3 years and 5 months of T2.

First time, the ghastric distress was pretty bad with gas, stomach aces and diarrhea.

Second time the ghastric distress was not so bad, mostly gas and some diarrhea. But then I broke out in a rash all over my body, and it went away as soon as I stopped.

Not common at all, but I have read stories and seen pictures were this has happend to others aswell.

Third and last time, the start was fine with a 500mg tablet, no problems. Then I had one more week that was fine with 1 x 500mg in the morning, and 1 x 500mg at the last meal of the day. Then all of the sudden I get gas all day long, hemroids and blood in my stool from the hemroids.

I feel crazy for saying this, but I am going to try a fourth time since I have problems controlling my BG now with diet and exercise alone.

I will try 250mg in the morning and 250mg at night as a start, then amp it up after a while.

Such a whimsical drug for me, but it works.. :/

GAgirl

You have to start slow. Cut that 500mg into 4 parts. Take 1 each night for 5 days. Then take 2 each night for 5 days. Eventually you will be up to the whole pill. This is the only way I could avoid the diarrhea. I take 2000mg now.

Good advice

GAgirl

Well. all the diarrhea is gone now...I take one at dinner/suppertime and one before bed late night around midnight . Helping fbg's so far by at least 6-10 points lower and the all around lower bg's during the day. I guess my body is now adjusted to it. 

stinastina

Well. all the diarrhea is gone now...I take one at dinner/suppertime and one before bed late night around midnight . Helping fbg's so far by at least 6-10 points lower and the all around lower bg's during the day. I guess my body is now adjusted to it. 

That's great ! No more tummy issues ?

dowling gram

I had to laugh at the last sentence--, appear to outweigh its limited side effects. Limited be darned!!! For me the side effects were terrible and did not get better. I have a friend who still has uncontrollable diaherra after a year of taking Met. It may work for some but not for everybody.

GAgirl

DGram-

I know...I am sorry for those who cannot tolerate it no matter how they try.  :blink:

I am so glad it's run it's course and I got adjusted to it as it really has helped with cravings, appetite, and numbers. Also I tend to be a constipated by nature person anyway, so this helps me go a little now everyday where before I was an every other or couple of days person with the regards to bm's. TMI...sorry post-51677-0-12661500-1402963316.gif

Maurie

Ah Metformin! After a recent bout of cellulitis and having slacked of my diet and excersise regime in the last year, I found my numbers climbing so Doc put me on Metformin 500mg twice daily.

After a week of taking it, I felt terribly bloated and loss of appetite. I promptly turfed them in the bin and am feeling fantatsic.!

I guess my Doc isn't going to be happy and may try Janumet or Januvia this time round, though I fear they too will end up in trash along with the Met.

Why can't they make a drug without side effects? Guess I gotta get back into diet and excersise again to hopefully avoid meds.

GAgirl

Ah Metformin! After a recent bout of cellulitis and having slacked of my diet and excersise regime in the last year, I found my numbers climbing so Doc put me on Metformin 500mg twice daily.

After a week of taking it, I felt terribly bloated and loss of appetite. I promptly turfed them in the bin and am feeling fantatsic.!

I guess my Doc isn't going to be happy and may try Janumet or Januvia this time round, though I fear they too will end up in trash along with the Met.

Why can't they make a drug without side effects? Guess I gotta get back into diet and excersise again to hopefully avoid meds.

It took me a week and a half for the gastro stuff to be over with as my body got adjusted...Try it again! Give it 2 weeks and see. 

Maurie

Now lets see if we can post without spelling mistakes this time around. :D

I have actually asked my Doc for insulin instead to avoid these side affects, but Doc isn't interested in giving me insulin unless it is as a last resort. meds first he says. Sigh!!!

On a side note I have found that Paracetamol lowers your Blood sugar. lol But yeah, not to good for the liver and have you have to take it more often then Metformin.

GAgirl

blip from the article in post#1 link:

Metformin works by increasing the number of muscle and adipocyte (fat cell) insulin receptors and the attraction for the receptor. It does not increase insulin secretion, it only increases insulin sensitivity. Therefore, metformin is not associated with causing hypoglycemia. This activity reduces insulin levels by increasing the sensitivity of peripheral tissues to the effects of insulin by rejuvenating the response, and restoring glucose and insulin to younger physiological levels that may cause weight loss and most certainly a decrease in the body's total fat content.(3-7)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.