Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAgirl

Metformin

Cristobel

When I started I took I Imodium on day 1 after a bad metformin moment. That basically clogged the works for 4 days then everything was fine. When I upped my dose I only suffered for one day. My dr said to slowly build it up to 2000 mg/day but I'm finding that 1500 seems to be doing the trick along with diet changes. I see her next week and see what she says.

Java

i didn't get the poopy plops with it but it made my stomach burn real bad all the time

i gave up

GAgirl ~ glad you've become accustomed to it and that it is helping you :)

jwags

I must have an iron stomach. I take 2550 mg mostly on an empty stomach with no problems. The only times my stomach gets a little wonky is if I use too many sugar alcohols.

GAgirl

i didn't get the poopy plops with it but it made my stomach burn real bad all the time

i gave up

GAgirl ~ glad you've become accustomed to it and that it is helping you :)

I also take the generic for Protonix every day for acid reflux as my stomach burns from everything, meds, food, drink, even water.

Now Nexium- the best acid prevention med is no longer prescription, so I will be buying that . If I miss one day I am dying of burning stomach, too! Me and hubby take it daily for several years now and we never have to resort to a TUMS anymore...Maybe try Nexium, girl and see if it works for you. One 24 hours.

GAgirl

I must have an iron stomach. I take 2550 mg mostly on an empty stomach with no problems. The only times my stomach gets a little wonky is if I use too many sugar alcohols.

I noticed I drank an Atkins shake the other night...well, only half the shake as I wanted some chocolate and it's the first time I have bought these. I got the runs, too, so I agree that sugar alcohols...too much of them , cause the runs like you said...I didn't put 2 & 2 together until I read your post, so thanks!

jwags

If I bake my own LC treats I never have problems. I use erythitol or truvia or a little splenda. But some products like the Atkins bars if I eat more than one, I get that grumpy stomach. I also think metformin works better if you increase your fiber intake.

GAgirl

If I bake my own LC treats I never have problems. I use erythitol or truvia or a little splenda. But some products like the Atkins bars if I eat more than one, I get that grumpy stomach. I also think metformin works better if you increase your fiber intake.

Again, I agree with this as well, thanks!

caki

Glad to hear you system settled down.  I was just diagnosed with Met, 500 1x a day...I just took it and planned on going to the gym to workout, now I am not so sure!

GAgirl

Just play it by ear for a week and see. I am fine with both doses now and no bathroom issues or stomach stuff at all. 

Good-luck because if you can take Met - it really helps!!!

Weezy

There has also been some research done on breast cancer and metformin.  My personal hypothesis is that it works to reduce tumor growth because it helps to reduce glucose circulating in the blood, and the majority of breast cancer tumors are fed by glucose; i.e., less food, less growth. My other personal hypothesis is that obese women have higher rates of breast cancer because of excess blood glucose available to feed tumors (not a cause, but a contributing factor).    I don't have the links handy at the moment about breast cancer and metformin, but it's interesting reading.

Re the side effects:  my side effects varied depending on the batch and/or the manufacturer.  I'm wondering if the generic versions have a wide variation in quality, amount of actual metformin, and inactive ingredients.  I even had one batch that didn't seem to work at all--numbers went up a LOT about two weeks after I started the new batch.  Sometimes I had horrid gastric issues; other times nothing.  Unfortunately, during the "nothing" times, my numbers were higher.  After some research, I found out that the FDA allows up to 20% variation in generics, which means that a generic brand can have up to 20% less active ingredient than the name brand.  That can make a big difference!  There's also a big difference in inactive ingredients between generic manufacturers;  Glucophage has very few inactive ingredients and that may also make a difference in how someone reacts.

I finally switched to brand name Glucophage.  No gastric issues at all--I can take the pills without eating!  I take 850 3x/day for the max dose.  While I hate the price of the Glucophage, it's worth it to me (and worth the sacrifices monetarily), to get it.  Numbers stable; no side effects at all.  My body reacts the same from batch to batch (I get three months worth of pills at a time).

GAgirl

I agree with your post about the cancer part...I had a friend dying of pancreatic cancer and the first thing her doc told her was to cut out all sugar! It also keeps our immunity low...on the generic Met-

Mine are generic and have a capital "Z" on one side. They are 500 mgs. Works very well. 

Weezy

I agree with your post about the cancer part...I had a friend dying of pancreatic cancer and the first thing her doc told her was to cut out all sugar! It also keeps our immunity low...on the generic Met-

Mine are generic and have a capital "Z" on one side. They are 500 mgs. Works very well. 

So sorry to hear about your friend; amazed that she had a doc that told her to cut the sugar! How cool!  When I told my cancer docs that I had cut out all sugar and thought it would contribute to the cancer NOT reoccurring, they all thought I was nuts and scoffed at me.  I didn't care...I know that keeping my glucose normal (i.e., low for a T2) will go a long way towards making sure that it doesn't come back.

I don't think my generics had any letter on them?  Don't remember...but they were made by Teva.  I had problems with those.  When I started, the generic was made by Sun and they worked OK.  We're limited to the Costco pharmacy and Teva is the only generic metformin they carry in this area.  But at least their price for the brand name Glucophage is better than other places.

Weezy

GAgirl....have you noticed any variation from batch to batch on the Zyvus generics?

That's one place that I didn't contact to see what brand of generic they carried.  Where I live, it seems like just about everybody is using the Teva brand now.  I used Walmart mail order for a while, but they were always changing their supplier and it became a real hassle to find out what they had every time I needed a new order.

GAgirl

Sorry, I misspelled it it's Zydus Pharmaceuticals...anyway...I don't notice any difference -seems to all work like it's supposed to and I think that's all I've been getting from CVS this whole time. 

It has a 70 on one side, and a capital Z on the other. They are each 500mgs.

stinastina

I have the same ones ! When I open the bottle, they smell like fish !

GAgirl

Mine smell like chemicals...what is it with us and the fish smells? LOL 

I bought more golden flax meal and it was fine, but when I made the  Miracle brownies with them the brownies smelled fishy...OMG! This is hilarious, sorry... :P

MalteseMom

Metformin...thou are a heartless bi**h!

So I have taken the 2 Mets for s few days now and I have to literally run to the bathroom to empty out if you get my drift and I barely make it and today I was in a store and didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to run out  and pray there was nothing showing on the back of my pants and when I got home I was so embarrassed. but no one saw me. I felt like some baby!!!!

Second time his happened since I started taking 2 a day! Gurgling stomach and a cramp and then it's all said and done before I can realize what's going on- uncontrollable!

Anyone else have this effect? I remember I had some cramps and maybe some loose stuff when I first started taking the 1 pill back a year ago, but this is disastrous! 

I think it will go away in a week when my body gets used to it, but what do you all think?

I took the 2nd pill late last night around midnight-  I ate brunch today at 1:00 pm this afternoon of 2 eggs and bacon and took the first days pill 500 mg.and by 3:00 I was having the Metformin tradgedy! Thank God I have Leather seats! LMFAO!

Tell me if this happened to you on it?

I don't think my experience with the "Metformin Tragedy" for me is due to the Metformin. I think it's related to the increase fats. I don't have problems unless my fat increases to 70-80%. I take Metformin 1000 mg in the morning.

Weezy

I have the same ones ! When I open the bottle, they smell like fish !

My Teva generics rarely had any chemical or fishy smell....I was really shocked when I got the brand name Glucophage and discovered they have a VERY fishy smell!  But I have had consistent results from them and NO reactions whatsoever.  Heck, I can even take them on an empty stomach, so now I take them at regular times whether I'm eating or not.  I take 850 mg 3x/day.

Hate the price; love the results!  Something in the Teva generic caused me a whole lotta grief, not to mention the batches where they didn't seem to work at all and my glucose numbers went way up.

stinastina

I don't think my experience with the "Metformin Tragedy" for me is due to the Metformin. I think it's related to the increase fats. I don't have problems unless my fat increases to 70-80%. I take Metformin 1000 mg in the morning.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one, MM! Metformin is KNOWN to cause diarrhea, especially with carbs. You have to titrate your dose. Some people get over it after a few weeks and others of us don't. I had to cut mine up, take tiny pieces for a week and increase slowly before I could tolerate it. I'm so glad I did that because it has so many benefits.

My Teva generics rarely had any chemical or fishy smell....I was really shocked when I got the brand name Glucophage and discovered they have a VERY fishy smell!  But I have had consistent results from them and NO reactions whatsoever.  Heck, I can even take them on an empty stomach, so now I take them at regular times whether I'm eating or not.  I take 850 mg 3x/day.

Hate the price; love the results!  Something in the Teva generic caused me a whole lotta grief, not to mention the batches where they didn't seem to work at all and my glucose numbers went way up.

Metformin is made from a sea creature so it's okay that it smells fishy. At least we know it's fresh !  :D

GAgirl

Whaaaaaaaaat? What kind of sea creature?

OMG, what would we do without you here? You teach me so much, girl!! :alberteinstein: 

I agree, Maltese Mom suffered from the MET not the fat. (My take on it, anyway)

I love the benefits, too. Eases PCOS, helps bgs, helps appetite, helps digestion, etc...G;ad I also got used to it.

stinastina

Whaaaaaaaaat? What kind of sea creature?

OMG, what would we do without you here? You teach me so much, girl!! :alberteinstein: 

I agree, Maltese Mom suffered from the MET not the fat. (My take on it, anyway)

I love the benefits, too. Eases PCOS, helps bgs, helps appetite, helps digestion, etc...G;ad I also got used to it.

I can't even find where I read that now ! I thought I read it was a crustacean and all evidence has vanished - lol ! So take it with a grain of salt.  :ph34r:

JanetP

Hmmmm. . .I tried to tolerate it for a year and a half and had the screaming back-door-two-step the entire time.  One day I was so sick I could not stand up, looked at my med list and saw that I was on 4 different meds that caused GI upset.  Now am faced with a work-up for celiac since stopping the meds did not work.

*sigh*  Maybe I can go back on metformin eventually.  I would like to becasue it would address many of my metabolic issues as well as the D.

GA, I was a prilosec junkie for years.  Come to find out the PPI's can just make matters worse.  A friend turned me onto aloe vera juice 2 x a day and I have not had prilosec in over a year now.  But it has to be a particular brand, Georges, becasue of the way it is prepared.  It tastes like water.  Other brands make my GI issues worse.

stinastina

Hmmmm. . .I tried to tolerate it for a year and a half and had the screaming back-door-two-step the entire time.  One day I was so sick I could not stand up, looked at my med list and saw that I was on 4 different meds that caused GI upset.  Now am faced with a work-up for celiac since stopping the meds did not work.

*sigh*  Maybe I can go back on metformin eventually.  I would like to becasue it would address many of my metabolic issues as well as the D.

GA, I was a prilosec junkie for years.  Come to find out the PPI's can just make matters worse.  A friend turned me onto aloe vera juice 2 x a day and I have not had prilosec in over a year now.  But it has to be a particular brand, Georges, becasue of the way it is prepared.  It tastes like water.  Other brands make my GI issues worse.

I'm taking 40mg of prilosec as part of a study since January. I just read there will be phase 2 testing of a new drug that causes new beta cells to grow - prilosec is one of the main ingredients.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.