Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAgirl

Metformin

stinastina

I wonder if you are allergic to seafood if you are allergic to Met then? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Okay now I know where I got the crustacean thing - diatomaceous earth ! I ordered it for my doggies and their fleas. Somehow I confused the fishy smell of met with the origins of the de ! Met is made from a plant, according to wiki.

crabby-appleton

I tried Metformin two different times but can't tolerate it.  It gives me severe stomache cramps and my whole body feels as if I've been poisoned.

Not that I've had any previous experience with being poisoned.  ;)

Stl-T2

I use generic metformin from Walgreens. The manufacturer switched from Mylan to Amneal recently.  I don't like the Amneal ones.  They taste plasticy.

macksvicky

I tried Metformin two different times but can't tolerate it.  It gives me severe stomache cramps and my whole body feels as if I've been poisoned.

Not that I've had any previous experience with being poisoned.  ;)

Not sure which version you're on, but I switched years ago from regular metformin to the metformin ER, which is the extended release version and have never had any more problems with it, can even take it without food. Just something to think about :) 

jwags

When I open my bottle of metformin it does smell fishy. But then I put the Metformin inna 7 day pill organizer and the smell disappears. I think it must be the additive they put in. I think our pharmacy must buy the cheapest metformin. Several years ago they filled my Rx with a generic thst didn't smell fishy. But they must have switched back to the fishy one.

The way Metfoemin works is by blocking some of the csrb absorption. So if you eat a higher carb meal you will get more gas and possibly diareaha. If I stick to LC/HF I am usually OK. In 8 years I have only had problems a couple of times. I also take the max dose of the regular.

jbmacomber

I can't take reg or er metformin. my stomach never adjusts, regardles of how, where, when, why, lol!

funkynassau

I seem to be one of few who had no trouble with met. when I started taking it.  I was surprised to hear how badly it affects some people.

Erzebet

Has anyone experienced effects other than gastric issues with metformin? I have only been on it for a few days, but I have noticed a little bit of "flutter" in my chest in the afternoon (i take 1000 mgs of the ER at about 9:30 am every morning). I dont know if it's my blood sugar dropping...or the meds wearing off..or something else entirely....

adiantum

Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about that  Erezbet.

Listed in the side effects  mentions  fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse

Erzebet

Thanks adiantum. I called my doctor. He took me off the metformin until i see him in a few days. Haven't taken it since Thursday morning and that flutter has yet to subside. So, I doubt highly it's the metformin - which makes me more comfortable taking it if he puts me back on it. I have had a big weight loss the last week - around 10 lbs (due to no appetite) and suspect that may be the culprit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.