Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adiantum

statins ...again

adiantum

I've always suspected statins as the cause of my diabetes. This is from an interesting article

statins ".............they increased the risk of diabetes in middle-aged women by 48 per cent ......"

" Dr David Newman, director of clinical research at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, said: ‘For most people at low risk  of cardiovascular disease, a statin will give them diabetes as often as it will prevent a non-fatal heart attack."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2654651/Giving-statins-millions-disaster-Leading-doctors-say-decision-drugs-healthy-Britons-cause-harm-patients.html

Lady Imp

I've seen articles talking about research pointing to statins causing diabetes because of the elevated blood sugars, and the only thing I find myself thinking is "WHYYYYYYY DO THEY FORCE DIABETICS TO TAKE THEM THEN???" I'm all about taking a drug if the benefits outweigh the risks, but I think that a broad, over-reaching policy does not take individual situations into account. "You must take statins because you're a diabetic and diabetics are more prone to heart problems" just doesn't cut it for me. "You must take statins because you're a diabetic and your cholesterol is off the charts and your heart happens to be clogged up like hair in a bathtub drain" does.

ant hill

Doctors are in a sales pitch, I am sure of it!!!!! Excuses!!!!!!!! :mad:

jwags

I was put on statins and after 18 months I stopped because of the terrible side effects. Yes my bg did go up into the 200's on a very LC diet. I think it was because of the increased inflammation. My doctor said I had Statin Myopathy. He told me there was no reason to run lipid tests because the only reason they do it is to prescribe statins. I now have to switch doctors and I am afraid he will start to push statins again. I will stand firm, though. No statins for this Diabetic.

coob

Have you considered a naturalpath or homeopath? They can suggest natural supplements to reduce LDL and increase HDL.

Seagal

I had diabetes before my "apparent" heart attack, so that was when they started me on a statin. I take 5mg. once a week. I won't know until my next labs whether it is helpful or not, but I choose not to take it every day, when I did, my LDL dropped to 48 and at my senior female age that is not a good thing. I need my cholesterol for my brain to function.

Prior to the event, my HDL was 104,LDL was 95 and trigs were in the 50's. This was done with omega 3 and 2000mg. flush (b-3) niacin. From what I have read, niacin therapy is as effective as statins, but I guess there are trade-offs with niacin for some people. It did not make my b.g. go up, but I have been reading lately about it could have been the cause of my e-gfr dropping (kidneys).

Just to be clear, I started out with 500mg. niacin per day and slowly built up to 2000mg. if I were to try 1000mg today, I would flush and itch unbearably, so it is important to do it slowly and take a baby aspirin about 15min. prior to negate the flush. The b-3 has been thought to be more effective than some of the other no flush products, but we all have to do our own research, perhaps something better is around since I did this in 2012.

A good site to visit is Dr. Graveline's spacedoc.

Forester

Study uncovers why statins increase diabetes risk and offers solution

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/278164.php

Actually this is a press release and does not actually link to the study being described.  I think it is "spin".  The authors don't say exactly how statins increase diabetes risk, only that they interfere with insulin.  And the "solution" is another drug to be taken with the statin.  I will try to get hold of the original journal pub (in Diabetes) and hopefully sort it out.

Forester

Okay, here's a link to the abstract of the journal publication.  It seems that the statins trigger an inflammatory immune response that causes insulin resistance.  Nice.

Fluvastatin causes NLRP3 inflammasome-mediated adipose insulin resistance

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2014/06/10/db13-1398.abstract

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.