Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

Is the Physicians Desk Reference "the bible" of medications?

miketurco

I'm looking at the kindle edition of the physicians desk reference (it's under eight bucks, by the way).

The reason I want it is so that I can get basic information on medications: what they do, recommended dosage, side effects, interactions with other meds, etc.

I've heard of this book time and again, and the reviews are good. But I don't want to put all my faith into something without hearing what other diabetics have to say about it, if possible.

Here's the link to the book. This is *not* an affiliate link.

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Guide-Prescription-Physicians-Reference-ebook/dp/B00BAHA1CY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1402679859&sr=8-4&keywords=physicians+desk+reference

Mike

princesslinda

It's been the "go-to" in every hospital and medical office i've ever worked in, the docs and staff use it all the time, getting a new one every year to try and keep up with the current "new" meds.  The actual book we have in the office is huge, makes a good door stop.  You can find out of date ones at your local used bookstores.

miketurco

It's been the "go-to" in every hospital and medical office i've ever worked in, the docs and staff use it all the time, getting a new one every year to try and keep up with the current "new" meds.  The actual book we have in the office is huge, makes a good door stop.  You can find out of date ones at your local used bookstores.

That's exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you very much! I'm going to buy the kindle edition of the book. Apparently it's an abridged edition, but I only need it for me.

JanetP

Most of the time you can look up the very same information on line for free. At one time it was useful, now I think it is more of a way for drug companies to advertise under and official looking label. ( and yes, I used one and depended on them for years).  Save your money. 

Leonard Garcia

I have been using the Merck Manual of Medical Information for many years and prefer it.

miketurco

Most of the time you can look up the very same information on line for free. At one time it was useful, now I think it is more of a way for drug companies to advertise under and official looking label. ( and yes, I used one and depended on them for years).  Save your money. 

For a few bucks I'd rather have the info handy with me all the time. That being said, turns out that the PDR is a free app. I just downloaded it :)

pat593

The PDR is the Bible of reference books.  In fact, before the internet, it was the number one selling book after the Bible itself! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.