Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alyriv

Breakfast blues

Alyriv

Hi so I'm not much of a morning person in general and during the week it's worse. I like to sleep til the last possible minute which leaves virtually no time to make a healthy breakfast. It also doesn't help that I can't seem to get my fasting bg under 130 most days. So I have fallen into a routine where I make coffee and a bagel to go. I know, I know this is prolly the worst breakfast imaginable for a t1, however, I am also usually not hungry in the morning before work so I still have to force myself to eat something. Lately I have been thinking about doing a breakfast shake with a caffeine kick instead of my current norm, I just don't know where to start or what to try. I do try to have unsweetened almond milk stocked but other than that I have no idea what I am doing (in the past my idea of a homemade smoothie was buying the repackaged frozen fruits...all you had to do was add juice and blend).

jwags

There are lots of options for a LC breakfast that you make ahead of time.

Blueberry muffins made with almondnflour

Egg muffins, similar to mini quiches

Pancakes made with almond flour

Low carb bagels or toast

Unsweet greek yogurt with a few berries or nuts

Smoothie made with almond milk, protein powder, yogurt, berries and greens

ramon

When on the run I have boiled eggs made earlier in the week. I recently found out that bacon on top of paper towels and nuked in the morning takes 8 minutes and come out pretty good. I stick them in the wave and by the time I get dressed they are done. I really wish they had a low carb cereal though.

control

Hi so I'm not much of a morning person in general and during the week it's worse. I like to sleep til the last possible minute which leaves virtually no time to make a healthy breakfast. It also doesn't help that I can't seem to get my fasting bg under 130 most days. So I have fallen into a routine where I make coffee and a bagel to go. I know, I know this is prolly the worst breakfast imaginable for a t1, however, I am also usually not hungry in the morning before work so I still have to force myself to eat something. Lately I have been thinking about doing a breakfast shake with a caffeine kick instead of my current norm, I just don't know where to start or what to try. I do try to have unsweetened almond milk stocked but other than that I have no idea what I am doing (in the past my idea of a homemade smoothie was buying the repackaged frozen fruits...all you had to do was add juice and blend).

Easily solvable with some lifestyle changes.  

1) Leave yourself more time in the morning.  This will be an adjustment, but it will be well worth it.  If you want to have good management over your diabetes, you will need to make sacrifices.  There is no way around this.  It is an absolute truism.  That means sometimes making decisions based upon what is going to provide the most health benefit vs what is comfortable.  Like you, I just wasn't hungry in the morning and I rarely ate breakfast.  I ate at any crazy time of the day I felt like it.  It didn't take long to adjust to a pattern of having 3 meals at roughly the same time of the day.  Now it's just normal.  

2) Make breakfast and other meals ahead of time.  Having ready to heat meals in the freezer or fridge is just smart.  As someone who is super-obsessed with time management, this has provided the largest return on investment - by far.  

3) Eliminate easy access to foods you know not to be a part of a healthy diet.  When people find themselves pressed for time (it happens), they will invariably take the simplest and easiest routes to get out from under their time constraints.  If your easiest option is a quick meal or even a healthy snack on the go, that's the option you'll use.  

Seagal

This is a very good breakfast cereal from Marty (MCS and wish he would come back):

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/topic/57055-breakfast-cereal/?hl=%2Bbreakfast+%2Bcereal

Also, to find this I went to recipes and entered "breakfast cereal" in the search box.  Jwags has one for faux oatmeal and there are others...ignore the one from me unless you can have soy...it was a recipe I used before I stopped soy, although it was very good.

There are a lot of options if you look for them and as has been said, you must make some lifestyle changes to make this easier on yourself....yeah, I know it isn't easy in the beginning, but if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got. (I sometimes forget that myself).

jwags

Go to gluten free websites and you will find a ton of recipes for muffins, pancakes, scones and even bagels. My favorite sites are

All day I dream about food

I breathe I'm hungry

Gourmet Girl Cooks

Maria's Mind and Body

Linda's low carb recipes

Peace, Love and Low Carb

comfy Belly

Elanas Pantry

Uff Da

Don't forget that you can make a large crustless quiche on the weekend, large enough for several breakfast servings.  Then just microwave in the morning on weekdays.

Forester

"...if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

That's a keeper, thanks!

dowling gram

I posted this earlier but there was a problem

There are lots of low carb smoothies on line. Here's one of them. You can substitute almond milk for coconut milk. If you freeze the coffee or almond milk in ice cube trays you won't have to add the ice cubes and that will make it thicker. Flax meal is a great thing to add to thicken it. It is high in nutrients but has practically no carbs. If you want something even more convenient try the ready to drink Atkins shakes. You'll find them in the health food aisle of your supermarket

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/breakfastshake.htm

samuraiguy

I really wish they had a low carb cereal though.

You might want to check out a cereal called Hi Lo, it tastes good and 1 serving barely budges my BG numbers.

Alyriv

Thanks for all the advice. I am definitely trying to make the necessary changes but there are a lot of them and before I was at my current job I worked second shift so I could do a later bfast of eggs or whatever and I was fine. It's adjusting to being up that early and maintaining my low carb life. I am backsliding and am trying to find some easy alternative that can hold me over til my body decides that it is ready to accept the new schedule (the sad part is that it's really not that early, I have just never been an early bird). I am also trying to condition myself to eat better bfasts. I am def going to try that shake dowling gram thanks.

A follow up question I have concerns protein powder. How much protein is too much? I am not that active yet (I intend to start going to the gym) and I don't want to gain weight by taking protein powder in the morning. I am sadly under informed on this topic and am finding mixed information online.

dowling gram

Thanks for all the advice. I am definitely trying to make the necessary changes but there are a lot of them and before I was at my current job I worked second shift so I could do a later bfast of eggs or whatever and I was fine. It's adjusting to being up that early and maintaining my low carb life. I am backsliding and am trying to find some easy alternative that can hold me over til my body decides that it is ready to accept the new schedule (the sad part is that it's really not that early, I have just never been an early bird). I am also trying to condition myself to eat better bfasts. I am def going to try that shake dowling gram thanks. A follow up question I have concerns protein powder. How much protein is too much? I am not that active yet (I intend to start going to the gym) and I don't want to gain weight by taking protein powder in the morning. I am sadly under informed on this topic and am finding mixed information online.

There is about the same protein in 1 scoop of protein powder as there is in 1 egg. At least that's what's in my protein powder. Look at the label and it will tell you. 1 egg has 12 grams of protein. To get a rough idea of how much protein you need daily multiply your weight by .37. Subtract a bit if you are not active. You don't need a gym to be active. Examine your lifestyle to see where you can fit walking in. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk instead of ride.

I don't have a set exercise routine and I maintain my weight. I do have an exercise bike for winter but in the spring to fall my workout is walking or gardening. I've lost 5 pounds--which I hope to and will gain back-- since spring simply by gardening.

Alyriv

So I tried the shake and it was amazing! My food cravings disappeared and I had so much more energy. Def positive about my on the go days.

My only complaint would be about the flax seed meal and that is easily substituted out. :-) thanks again!!!

Seagal

That is good news! Maybe you could reduce the flax in the beginning til you get used to it? It has so many benefits.

Thanks dowling G., it is a good shake to keep in the library.

Alyriv

I don't think getting used to it will help. It's just way too much fiber for me personally.

This am I tried using a little bit of plain Greek yogurt to thicken and it seemed to do the trick. I'm thinking adding some no sugar added peanut spread tomorrow to change it up a bit.

jwags

Most smoothies you can make them anyway you want. I rarely use flaxseed in smoothies but I use it in my cookies and muffins or fake cereal. When you first start eating flax, go easy. It can cause GI problems.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.