Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAgirl

This forum asks "Have you found support"?

GAgirl

This forum (as in TESTIMONIALS forum)asks if you have found support, so:

Yes, I have found support for Diabetes here, and support for dealing with it, learning about it, understanding what it is I have learned, how to try new ways of controlling it, whether through diet and exercise, or meds, or all, and so I wanted to start this thread.

I think a THANK YOU is in order here to the mods and Tony 

post-55074-139628786139_thumb.gif

but recently to notme who has locked a thread I found  to be inflammatory (by ioz).

To me, it seems we get people here , commonly referred to as trolls, LOL...who seem like they come here from other D sites to start trouble, like a kid from a the visitors side of the high school football game coming over to our home side to start a fight.
It's SO obvious, because they start a benign thread with a benign and normal question and immediately go off on the first reply and continue after that - usually (seems to be the pattern) enraged because someone told them about ways to control T2 and they are adamant that they are pre-D.
OK, maybe so... but we here, who are fully D whether T1 or T2 KNOW how it is with testing, numbers, numbers that make us dx'd as D, so when they present a pre-D dx and their tests numbers show a clear D scope of numbers and symptoms, we offer advice on how we treat it, but we don;t need someone enraged to start fighting that they are not D and that the whole of us are crazy and misinformed as a collective forum on this. 
Everyone has a right to be in denial. We all have been there , and to me, it's part of the acceptance process...first you might have denial, then you get to a point where you want to take control. 
Maybe some may stay in denial , that's ok, too...to each his own, but to come here and immediately tell everyone they are wrong, crazy, mean, and other negative things as a newbie throws a red flag to me that this is not someone lookig for information or help, but  a place to start trouble. Yes, tough to admit , but there are those out there who thrive on negativity and misery....
Sadly for me, it had made me shy away from the welcome to newbies until I see a pattern of their postings that lets me know they are here for the right reasons- education, support, friendship.
That's all... 

Anyone feel the same?

Java

yup

major thanks to Father Tony for these forums ~ i've learned tons here and made a number of pretty great friends, so win win :D

and i *rarely* welcome newbies anymore because of the troll drama i've seen

JuliaDay2013

I agree! Tony & mods are fabulous.

I've noticed the trolls are getting more prolific and pushier. Some I wonder about, but the first reply brings out the truth. Thanks also to those willing to take a hit for the team.

ramon

I run into people including distant relatives who have bg ranges in the high 200-300 range everyday and they think I'm some kind of radical nut for wanting to avg under 120. Trying to convince me while drinking mountain dews and boxes of donuts for breakfast. The sad thing is if it wasn't for this forum I would be there right with them. My last A1c speaks for this forum and I don't need any other.

coob

interesting - honestly, I was oblivious to this, but I'm still somewhat new to the forums and this group. You mention people who insist they are pre-D. I am considered pre-D, but I, personally consider myself T2. It helps me to think that way; it keeps me more diligent. It's kind of like being pre-pregnant....you are or you aren't.

Seagal

Well, I must have missed the thread you speak of. I don't think I have ever had a problem with welcoming new members, but maybe I have been lucky.

I do appreciate this forum and the friendly folks who run it and share their lives and knowledge with the rest of us.

JanetP

This forum has saved my sanity more times than I can count!  Not only have I found support and education for diabetes but I have found a group of very dear friends who I value above all else.  I wish there were some way I could meet everyone face to face and exchange hugs.

And as for trolls and newbies. . . .well. . . yeah.  And that is unfortunate.  It seems to have become worse since the software change.

MalteseMom

The wonderful people on this site have been of immense help and support! I do appreciate the modulators also. It's a tough job to monitor a site this large and this active. Life is full of trolls. They know how to push our buttons and that turns us into right-fighters instantly. I say ignore them they'll get bored and leave.

Personally, I'm eternally grateful to each and everyone of you that has taken the time to indoctrinate me into healthy thinking for a diabetic and answering all my questions and giving me answers I didn't even know the questions for, and for encouraging me one day at a time.

dowling gram

The wonderful thing about this forum is the help and support you get and the friends you make here. When I first came here I had already discovered the secret of low carb and was doing OK but it is the support here that has kept me on that track. Going alone doing something is possible but how much nicer and easier is it if you walk that road with people who understand. I thank Tony and his Mods for making that possible.

As for newbies who won't take advice--well it takes all kinds of people to make up this world. Some want advice and some are thick headed can't see the forest for the trees. If we turn away from welcoming newbies then we miss the ones that will accept and welcome our help. How much better to welcome everyone and ignore the trolls when you see they are not here for help than not help the person who welcomes our advice. How else are we going to spread the word that it is possible to live a full life and have diabetes. A life free from complications that can only be had if your blood glucose is under control. 

That's it sermon ended!!! :wub::D :D :D

MalteseMom

This forum has saved my sanity more times than I can count!  Not only have I found support and education for diabetes but I have found a group of very dear friends who I value above all else.  I wish there were some way I could meet everyone face to face and exchange hugs.

And as for trolls and newbies. . . .well. . . yeah.  And that is unfortunate.  It seems to have become worse since the software change.

Regarding the software change I seem to miss a lot and don't get many email notices of posts. I feel disconnected somehow.

Lady Imp

:ciao:

I will admit that I used to be one of those people who thought LCHF was like the worst diet EVER and that people on it were putting one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. I have y'all to thank though for not only educating me but also showing that low-carb does not equal eating butter three times a day. There is a balance to it, and it can be done in a healthy (and very tasty!) fashion. I've even gotten Lord Imp, King of Carbohydrates to not only eat some of my concoctions but actually enjoy them. The blood sugar numbers are motivation enough to keep going (not to mention the rapid postpartum weight loss!).

So, thank you. :)

Imma go see if I can find this thread now, I enjoy reading me some drama. :D

GAgirl

I had clients who years ago were doing a new diet called the Atkins Diet, LOL( you know now how long ago that was)

When they told me about it I was of the mindset that eating fruits veggies, a little meat, no fat, were the way to go, and like Lady Imp, I thought they were crazy...until I got the dx and came her. Everyone made their cases for the advice they gave so it was up to me to research further and decide if I wanted to take the advice or not, but I was nice, appreciative, and loved that I found this PARTICULAR Diabetes site!  I am glad when new members come in and actually want to ask questions, participate, and learn. I have no patience for negative and enraged people. Don't shoot the messengers...we area ll taking time out of our day and lives to post support, advice, facts about our D issues and trials and errors, so the ones who appreciate me, I appreciate them. It is really nice to watch a newbie grow with knowledge and watch them blossom in time in the forum and then give out advice to the new crop of newbies coming in. I was one last year, and oh, what a year can do with knowledge,  and will power! I feel just like Ramon - if I wasn;t here to know what I know now, I'd be in the 300 range as a T2 also...and I was for a long time as a "pre-D" since my docs treatment for pre-D was to say..."watch the sugars". That was it. So now I am a full on T2 and I eat better than I ever did and know more about  my body than I did before. Thank you Diabetes Forum and members, owners, and mods again. 

stinastina

There's a lot of wisdom and support here. It's great to re-read the advice to newbies to remind myself of what I should be doing. I've been a member for several years but not regularly until recently.

I missed the particular thread you speak of, GaG. The funny thing is I never to stop to think some of the newbies have an agenda and then I get caught up feeding the trolls - lol !

timh33

There is a lot of great advise and support , and FRIENDS on this forum and that on amount of money can paid for. My thanks goes out to everyone on the forum.

MalteseMom

There is a lot of great advise and support , and FRIENDS on this forum and that on amount of money can paid for. My thanks goes out to everyone on the forum.

Personally, I'm full to the max with undying gratitude for the care and support I get here for my new lease on life!

davef

I most definitely found great support & made friends here. Joined nearly 7 years ago, I dropped out for a while, probably at a time when I should have stayed more connected to the forums.

I joined just a few days after diagnosis and without any doubt, the forums got me through a really rough time. Some of the good people took me under their wing and helped me find a new way of living. Princesslinda was my guardian angel and I will be enternally gratefull for her help.

As for welcoming newbies, I try my best to welcome and help new people, I just remember the state I was when I was diagnosed so do my best to help somebody who are in that situation.

Java

" If we turn away from welcoming newbies then we miss the ones that will accept and welcome our help."

this is very true, dowling gram!  i will try to work on being more welcoming to the newbies

:)

GAgirl

I hope no none misunderstood me about newbies...I just became weary lately after so much craziness and horrible negativity has ensued...but I still am glad they found us like I did a year back. 

adiantum

I must admit sometimes I don't take notice when I get these intuitions & blunder on & welcome those  that turn out to have serious issues. I still believe they are the minority & will eventually expose themselves for what they are.

This forum is just too important to peoples lives to not welcome new members

cbdee2011

I love this forum! Everyone is so nice, I don't feel judged, which is important. I've learned to deal with being a D much better, new ways to eat,vent and laugh. Thank you to all who participated to make this site what it is, and a very special thank you to its creators and moderators, for creating this safe, informative and just all around wonderful, site.

ramon

Dave has a wonderful welcoming post hidden somewhere, the best I've ever read on this forum. I wonder if we could dig it up and use it on all newcomers? Would you consider it rude Dave if we did that?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.