Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suzyallover

Canadians out there?

Suzyallover

I'm new and wondered if people from Canada and other countries as well as the States come here?

Suzy

dowling gram

Hi Suzie:

Yes there are Canadians as well as other countries represented here-- adiantum who answered above is from Australia and I'm from Northern Ontario. There are other Ausies here and other Canadians and people from other countries too. Not that it makes that much of a difference. Here we are all 1 family united by diabetes. There are more Americans here because the site originates in the States but all nationalities are welcome including Canadians. I have been here for quite a while and when a post is made there is no question of nationality--just how can I help

adiantum

Just to name a few for you Susan,

Theres some from India, Ireland, Japan, Sth Africa, New Zealand , England & I'm Australian

Suzyallover

I'm from Toronto Adian.

I gather you're from Australia. I agree with what dowling gram says re the fact diabetes unites one and all.

I am just starting to get serious about testing and it seems Canadians and Americans use different A1C jargon if I'm not mistaken. That's why I asked. For instance, I talk about my numbers being in the 7's in the morning and it seems that's a Canadian thing.

adiantum

OK, that did take me some time to get used to also. Just divide or multiply by 18 to compare those readings

so 7 x 18 =126

One great advantage on having members all over the world is that theres always someone online to answer questions

dowling gram

Suzie

You'll find that most countries use our system of numbers. Only the USA is different

In the US they use mg/dL while almost everybody else in the world uses mmol/L (the USA also still uses feet, yards, miles, pounds, and gallons while most of the rest of the world uses the metric system)

As Adiantum said conversion is easy. Simply multiply ours by 18 to get theirs and divide theirs by 18 to get ours. When I'm posting I multiply our figure and put it in brackets beside ours. Works for me and puts us all on the same page.

adiantum

well... if 14 pounds equals 1 stone then perhaps we could gather 14 pounds of American pebbles we could count them?

Welcome Suzyallover! In the UK they still use stones. I wonder how many pebbles in a stone... :wub:

Marc3565

I'm a dual citizen and live near the border between canada and US near niagara falls..

I am in Hamilton and Toronto many times a year.. :)

adiantum

There are towns just North of me that also have those names.

Hamilton is a multicultural town with restaurants to match. Toronto is a  small lakeside town on Lake Macquarie .

It's interesting to see these  names duplicated of which I guess have British origins.

I'm a dual citizen and live near the border between canada and US near niagara falls..

I am in Hamilton and Toronto many times a year.. :)

Marc3565

There are towns just North of me that also have those names.

Hamilton is a multicultural town with restaurants to match. Toronto is a  small lakeside town on Lake Macquarie .

It's interesting to see these  names duplicated of which I guess have British origins.

There are a LOT of Ontario cities with British origins.  :)

Waterloo, Guelph, Simcoe, London, Cambridge (which was once 3 towns Galt, Hespeler and Preston) are a few more

Gladtobehere

There are a LOT of Ontario cities with British origins.   :)

Waterloo, Guelph, Simcoe, London, Cambridge (which was once 3 towns Galt, Hespeler and Preston) are a few more

But lets not forget the other origins resulting in names like Berlin and Paris but I believe you are correct that the majority are British names :). I hail from Aurora just north of Toronto but south of Newmarket.

Welcome Suzy!

princesslinda

Suzy, if you look under "tools" in the upper right side of your screen, you'll find both glucose and A1C conversion tool which might make things a bit clearer.

Marc3565

But lets not forget the other origins resulting in names like Berlin and Paris but I believe you are correct that the majority are British names :). I hail from Aurora just north of Toronto but south of Newmarket.

Welcome Suzy!

A lot of native names in there too :)

ottawa being the main one.

Lady Imp

I used to live in Canada....does that count? 

I actually had a REALLY tough time going to mg/dL from mmol when I moved back to the States. I was diagnosed in Canada, so mmol was all I knew. I kept my logbooks in mmol originally because it made more sense to me...then it was because it made my doctor confused to the point of being upset and I got told to do it "the American way" LOLZ. As I got older I dropped the attitude and went with the mg/dL...although I have been tempted to switch the meter and pump over at times.

After *counts fingers* 16 years of living in the States, I still don't understand Americans. :P

NoraWI

I've been here 54 years and I still don't understand them. You think maybe because there are so many different peoples who all come under the name of "Americans"? European countries are just beginning to homogenize. The U.S. has been homogenizing since 1492.

ridger37

I used to live in Canada....does that count? 

I actually had a REALLY tough time going to mg/dL from mmol when I moved back to the States. I was diagnosed in Canada, so mmol was all I knew. I kept my logbooks in mmol originally because it made more sense to me...then it was because it made my doctor confused to the point of being upset and I got told to do it "the American way" LOLZ. As I got older I dropped the attitude and went with the mg/dL...although I have been tempted to switch the meter and pump over at times.

After *counts fingers* 16 years of living in the States, I still don't understand Americans. :P

I was visiting NYC and I lost my meter at a Broadway show (doh!).  I went to a drugstore and got a temporary meter, but I didn't realize there was a conversion.  I just thought they didn't use the decimal point.  :P  So when I was 5, I thought I was 9 (90 being 9.0 in my head), and I'd inject... Luckily they found my meter the next day before anything too crazy happened!

William V

I live in the Fraser Valley area of BC for the recent half of my life (about an hour from Vancouver) and originate from Southern Alberta.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.