Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KelliMax

White dot on the babies heart?

KelliMax

So we had our extensive 20 week ultrasound... Its a boy!  We have a daughter who is almost 3 already, so a boy is new and different :)   Everything looked great, however, they said there was a white dot on the babies heart which could be a marker for down syndrome... however it is rare that it ends up being that and a white dot shows up on babies without down syndrome as well, so supposedly nothing to worry about... I was just wondering if anyone else was told this or had the same dot on their babies?

rubidoux

I don't know anything about the white dot, but I think we had something measured around 13 or 14 weeks, on ultrasound, near or on the back of baby's neck, some kind of "fold" in the baby's skin, maybe.  Did you have that done?  It's supposed to be very accurate in predicting Down syndrome, I think.  

Do you think you'll do further testing to figure it out?  I feel like I wouldn't be able to rest until I knew and would also want to read everything I could get my hands on regarding Down syndrome if I needed to.  

Congrats on your pregnancy and having a BOY.  I have two and I love being a mom to boys.   :wub:

jwags

My DIL had a baby last summer. She had tests done that showed an abnormal amount of some protein. The doctor told her that her baby was goi g to have Spina Bifida. My DIL was quite upset and scheduled a consultation with a geneticist . They told her there was a very small chance of Spina Bifida and if so a very mild case, since nothing showed up in the ultrasounds. My grandson was born perfectly normal and is almost 11 months and already walking.

ramon

Look what happened to Hammers granddaughter. They told his daughter stuff and that poor women cried her heart out, and you should see the last photos he showed us. Don't fret and be happy with the pregnancy and soon your family and little man will be spending the day at the zoo. Congratulations.

KelliMax

Thanks guys... Im not worried at all, They really don't know anything about this dot or what it means, basically means nothing.  I did have the Nuchal Translucency test done and that was negative and they said everything is measuring normal and healthy- so yay!  

Lizzie G

Hi kelli,

Congrats on your boy, I have two, they are awesome!

A friend of mine had similar experience with the white spot and turned out to be nothing. Soft markers mean very little and if your first trimester screening (nuchal measurement plus bloodtest) didn't identify an elevated risk, and the anatomy scan was normal, it's extremely unlikely that there's an issue.

Congratulations again!

Tanikit

My first daughter had that dot on her heart - they ran further blood tests and she had a risk of Down's of 1:18000 - I ceased to worry. She's a perfectly healthy 6 year old now. My second daughter had no dots on her heart at all.

Halfway there - hope the rest of the pregnancy goes smoothly and that you manage with a busy toddler too - enjoy it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.