Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

Looking for reasonably complete food macro-nutrient database (flat tables or csv only)

miketurco

I'm looking for a reasonably complete food database to do a bit of data mining, for personal interests. 

I did download the full USDA database for Access, which comes in a (seemingly) fully normalized format. To get what I want, though, which is a flat file with macro-nutrients only, I'd need to a bunch of queries, etc. etc. I figure this would take me several hours to do, at least, because the queries would take so long to run (and hence, debug).

Anybody know where I can download a nice, big CSV file or some such thing? If so, I'd really appreciate a link.

Thanks,

Mike

Java

dude, glad you answered your own question

now, can ya answer mine?  :)

what's the story behind your current profile pic?  it is leaving me scratchin my noggin and curious minds wanna know

:D

miketurco

dude, glad you answered your own question

now, can ya answer mine?  :)

what's the story behind your current profile pic?  it is leaving me scratchin my noggin and curious minds wanna know

:D

That's Bikker, our Pink Australian Chandrah -- it's a flightless species that has a body and legs something like a roadrunner. And you've heard how they say pets often look like their owners, right?

But seriously folks. OK... about a year ago I asked Maura to trim my neck and so forth with an electric trimmer. There was an Oops and the only solution was to shave my head. The next day my adult kids came over for father's day, and as you can guess my bald head was all the rage.

I posed for some Dr. Evil pics and so forth. Then Kathryn said I looked like one of our dog toys, the one in the picture, of course. So I posed for some pictures. And I also bought a domain name for the heck of it, which is OldFatBaldAndBroke.com (nothing there yet but am thinkin' about turning that into a personal blog.)

This is where it gets a little weird. I changed my google+ profile picture for the heck of it, and doing so significantly upped my ranking on the search engines. No idea why, so I kept it that way.

Anyhow, I'm doing a guest post on a friend's business blog and I noticed that my gravitar pic was way out of date. So I uploaded this same picture to gravatar, then came here and did the same thing.

Java

LOL that's a great story!

i used to cut my oldest's hair when he was little and i had an ooopsy and he ended up with no bangs and a verrrrry sort all over buzz

i've taken him to get his hair cut by professionals ever since

:blink:

adiantum

Great story but Ive not heard of an Australian Chandrah & neither has google, so tell us more about this bird

miketurco

Great story but Ive not heard of an Australian Chandrah & neither has google, so tell us more about this bird

They're very rare and difficult to breed. Basically a cross between a stuffed chinchilla and a plastic trailer park flamingo. 

GAgirl

LMAO!!! OK, let's keep some sense of humor people...I passed , sorry to have to report, a charming  little whimsical trailer on the road to our vacay spot,  and they had lots of whimsical things in the yard including at least 20 plastic pink flamingos, and I yelled, "Hey, did you see that'? and my hubby says, "yes, ever time we (the guys) come down to go deep sea fishing we know this is our turn because the flamingo trailer is the landmark. I loved it! I wanted to put a few in my yard n my old neighborhood to p'off our mean neighbors, but I couldn't do it as I didn't want to p' off the nice ones.

Now, who doesn't respect the plastic pink flamingo??? You gotta love 'em! 

Did you all see the story of the maker of them? It's a couple who dress alike every day and they made it up as a joke, I think or something cute- anyway, they had no idea it would take off like it did and they are multimillionaires now.

adiantum

It just proves that we are all different. I found the post insulting & racist.

I have never seen flamingos in a trailer/caravan or mobile home park .

Therefore I wonder how someone so high & mighty that can joke about other cultures & social status yet can end up with diabetes.

miketurdo I'll just put you on my alternate Hi5 list & say I'm done with this thread

miketurco

It just proves that we are all different. I found the post insulting & racist.

I have never seen flamingos in a trailer/caravan or mobile home park .

Therefore I wonder how someone so high & mighty that can joke about other cultures & social status yet can end up with diabetes.

miketurdo I'll just put you on my alternate Hi5 list & say I'm done with this thread

OK, wow. Well... I'd just assume let this go but you're a bully. And you're full of it. Your accusations are totally off, but what you have done a good job of revealing yourself. Name calling? Really? 

miketurco

Thank you :) I was getting a little worried about being bacon bound and forced to eat dark chocolate.

I'm Jewish. If someone were to say the bird was an Jewish Longnose, which is a cross between a pig and a, oh I don't know, a rabbi. In the wrong context that would offend me and I do see the point. I didn't phrase it that manner, though. But I guess everyone sees things in a different way and some are more sensitive than others.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.