Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mallory311

Type 1 diabetic with no care. Just found out im pregnant. Terrified!

mallory311

Hi everyone,

I am completely terrified for my baby's life and for mine. I have very uncontrolled diabetes (12+ A1C) and just found out im 4 weeks pregnant. Ever since I found out I'm pregnant, I've been testing about 15 times a day and have been able to keep my bloodsugars under 130 most of the time. Right now my blood sugar is 83.

I have no regular doctor I see, no ob gyn, and no endocrinologist. I have no idea who I should be looking to book an appointment with first to inform them of my pregnancy. 

Someone please guide me! I am so lost and desperate.

Thanks and sorry for the rant :(

Ela

Hi Mallory and welcome to the forum!

Good for you getting your diabetes under control.  And yes, testing is very important.  Kudos to you!

I have no specific suggestions (I know very little about diabetes and pregnancy) except - try to relax and stay positive - this is important for your health and also your baby's.  I know it's easier said than done but try anyway.  Other more knowledgeable members hopefully chime in with more practical advice.   

Sending you big hugs and best wishes!

Dustin B

You need a primary care MD ASAP. They can confirm the pregnancy for you and do some other basic testing to get you started down the right path. They can also change or adjust your current medications as needed. They will refer to you an OB/GYN and most likely an Endocrinologist as well. The 1st thing you have to do is take care of you. You are very early on in the pregnancy so the priority will be taking care of you and making sure you are as healthily as you can be. Who currently prescribes your insulin for you? 

NDN
Hi everyone,

I am completely terrified for my baby's life and for mine. I have very uncontrolled diabetes (12+ A1C) and just found out im 4 weeks pregnant. Ever since I found out I'm pregnant, I've been testing about 15 times a day and have been able to keep my bloodsugars under 130 most of the time. Right now my blood sugar is 83.

I have no regular doctor I see, no ob gyn, and no endocrinologist. I have no idea who I should be looking to book an appointment with first to inform them of my pregnancy.

Someone please guide me! I am so lost and desperate.

Thanks and sorry for the rant :(

If you lack care because of financial constraints, most states have programs that will cover you while you are pregnant and the child after. If you are outside the states, many national governments have similar programs. Are you comfortable saying which state or country you live in?

mallory311

Thank you everyone for your responses. 

The reasons I have avoided doctors is not sue to financial constraints. I am just terrified of doctors and getting bad news. I've been dealing with type 1 diabetes for the past 20 years and have also dealth with cancer and chrons disease. I am just very afraid of being told I have some other disease I have to deal with, I know this isn't a smart response....

I am in NY and it is very hard to book an appointment on short notice especially being a new patient. I am really nervous about miscarrying and was hoping to get bloodwork to make sure my hcg levels are rising, prescribe vitamins, and possibly have an early ultrasound. Who is most likely to perform these tests? an OB GYN or a primary care doc. I would like to get this done asap so if the primary care doc can't do this, I would rather go directly to the type of doctor who can help me immediately.

Excuse me for any grammar/spelling mistakes. It is very hard to even think right now.

jwags

I think if you explain your situation most OB's will get you in fairly quickly. If you can't get in quickly go to one of those urgent cream centers to get some basic tests and an Rx for vitamins.

Tanikit

I don't know how American health for pregnancies works. Where I live I made an appointment with a gynae and they sent me immediately for hcg testing which in my first pregnancy was repeated 48 hours later to ensure it had doubled - sometimes you can just ask a lab to do these tests without having a doctor say so - though again, I have no idea how things work where you are.

Next most gynaes will not see people before about 6 weeks and having scans done before 7 weeks is almost asking for trouble as in those very early stages they can tell you it is a blighted ovum when in reality you were just too early and they could not see the baby. With my first I was scanned at 5 and 7 weeks and only picked up the baby at 7 weeks - those were a stressful 2 weeks! With my second child I just went in for the first time at 7 weeks and did not have the stress.

However you must get your sugar under control and it sounds like you are doing that. My hba1cs were high when I fell pregnant with both my girls and both are perfectly healthy, but I brought things under control pretty sharply as far as the highs go (and went low all pregnancy because of it) - just be aware that insulin levels change drastically throughout the course of a pregnancy and that it should basically become a full time job. If you are not on a pump and have the option of getting one then go and find someone who will help you get one - pregnancies with MDIs can be very difficult.

Put yourself on a normal pre pregnancy vitamin (ie with folic acid) and do that immediately.

Book appointments for all the doctors at once as you may have to wait - so make sure you have an endocrinologist and an ob/gynae and someone who will work with you with the Crohn's as this is another complicating factor for pregnancy and you need to know how to handle it through a pregnancy.

Finally sit down and go and look at some websites that show you what is happening with your baby right now - what its growth is like and what you might be experiencing. With all the medical issues it is important to spend some time thinking about the child inside you and trying to relax for it.  Try not to jump too far ahead when thinking about the pregnancy - deal with week 4 now and week 5 next week and so on. 

It sounds like you are doing the right thing - congrats on the pregnancy and I hope you will have a happy healthy 8 months to come.

Dustin B

Thank you everyone for your responses. 

The reasons I have avoided doctors is not sue to financial constraints. I am just terrified of doctors and getting bad news. I've been dealing with type 1 diabetes for the past 20 years and have also dealth with cancer and chrons disease. I am just very afraid of being told I have some other disease I have to deal with, I know this isn't a smart response....

I am in NY and it is very hard to book an appointment on short notice especially being a new patient. I am really nervous about miscarrying and was hoping to get bloodwork to make sure my hcg levels are rising, prescribe vitamins, and possibly have an early ultrasound. Who is most likely to perform these tests? an OB GYN or a primary care doc. I would like to get this done asap so if the primary care doc can't do this, I would rather go directly to the type of doctor who can help me immediately.

Excuse me for any grammar/spelling mistakes. It is very hard to even think right now.

You need to establish care with a PCP as well as an OB/Gyn. My 1st stop would be a PCP who can do the necessary tests on you and determine your medical needs. Once thats taken care of they can refer you to an OB/Gyn to handle your pregnancy. As said earlier an ultrasound this early really doesn't show much diagnostically so they typically aren't done unless you are having symptoms of certain type of complications. As I said earlier the only thing you can do right now is take care of you. 

mdwinter

I would call both a PCP and an OB/GYN.  Ask them to get you on the pump ASAP, as it will make a world of difference, and will help keep your baby safe and healthy due to the great control!

rubidoux

I am just terrified of doctors and getting bad news. I've been dealing with type 1 diabetes for the past 20 years and have also dealth with cancer and chrons disease. I am just very afraid of being told I have some other disease I have to deal with, I know this isn't a smart response....

I think you've already gotten good advice about your situation, but I just wanted to say that I totally get this.  And hugs to you!  I have had long periods of time where I couldn't bring myself to see a doctor for the same reason.  It gets a whole lot easier after you have the first round of appointments, though.  Once you know you're ok, it feels a little less likely that any given appointment is gonna be bad news.  At any rate, you aren't the only one!!!  

I am wishing smooth sailing for here on in with this pregnancy and I hope you're able to enjoy it.  Congratulations!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.