Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

"Healthy" meals for diabetics

Caravaggio

I was at my endo's office for the results of my last A1c and other tests and quarterly consultation.

While waiting, I picked up a handful of health bulletins the clinic publishes and distributes, and a free magazine called Mealtime. I've not seen this magazine before. It's a catalogue of healthy prepared food that you can order and have delivered. The first few pages were great because it listed side by side popular products, such as ice cream and beer, together with nutritional information (including calories and carbs). Then, I flipped through the catalogue of food bento boxes on sale. These boxes are divided into several groups including the following: (a) meals for those with diabetes, high blood pressure and metabolic syndrome, (b ) same as (a) but with rice, (c ) same as (a) but bigger portions, (d) protein formula meals for those with kidney problems (including those as complications of diabetes), (e) same (d) but with rice, and (f) same as (d) but a la carte (basically pasta, noodles and rice bowls).

By meals, I do not mean 1 dish, but 1 main dish (such a fish) and small side dishes (mostly vegetables).

Without the rice, the meals for those with diabetes or diabetes-related kidney problems are in the 15-30 grams of carb range. The meals with the bigger portions would of course have higher carb content. I know some DF members here would have fainted with these numbers.

But with the rice, pasta and noodles, the carb content for an entire meal starts at 60 grams per meal, and most of the meals are in the higher end of 70s and 80s! I nearly fainted when I saw the numbers.

I did not get the chance to mention this to my endo as he had a busy morning. I rarely complain to him but this magazine should not be in his clinic. But he, another doctor and a dietitian will be giving a lecture this Saturday on the effectiveness of removing "staple food" (ie, rice and noodles) for people with diabetes. The dietitian's topic is going to be secrets to "no staple food diet". I'll be attending the lecture and talk to my endo then.

TX_Clint

I'm not suprised by the magazine. Please keep us up to date on the lectures. It will be interesting to see their take on nutrition.

Ela

I have to say that I NEVER ever saw an article about "healthy eating" in any well established, official FDA approved press that wouldn't advise diabetics to eat "lots of healthy grains and fruits".  And 15 carbs a meal is actually an improvement IMO.  Most recommend starting from at least 30. 

But kudos to your doctor and dietitian for going against... the grain.

Caravaggio

Ela, I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not expecting a lot from the lecture, although I'm not jumping to any conclusions. My endo is elderly and probably of the old school. But he does not impose his views on me because my A1c and other tests are good, so he lets me do whatever it is I'm doing.  But I'm interested in the lecture and especially the dietitian's lecture. 

I'm now reading a book called "Removing Staple Food to Improve Diabetes" (it's a rough translation of the title) by a Dr. Ebe. Dr. Ebe is the top endo of a hospital in Kyoto, and is, from my understanding, the leading advocate of restricted carbohydrate diet. From what I've read, in Japan, nobody talks about low-carb diet but restricted carb diet - although I'm sure they are the same or very similar to each other.  

miketurco

I've never seen anything as driven by agenda and corporatism as dietary "recommendations." I've found that I need to severely limit my carbs to keep my bg down and have been trying to figure out what foods to eat. There's almost no one to trust in this matter. I do like Eades/Atkins et al, but for the most part pretty much everything out there is a crock.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.