Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

traceystar16

Fertility Decisions

traceystar16

Hello all. My husband and I have been TTC for about 7 months now, which isn't super long but I am 35 and he is 37 so we pursued some fertility testing to see what our chances are. The tests didn't show anything super obvious so we were diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" and the doc gave us a 3-5% chance of conceiving (which I have mixed feelings about, because had we gone in after 7 months a year ago they would've just told us to go home and keep trying...). The doc suggests IUI as the first option, including a round a Clomid. We are also going this week for an overview class at an adoption center. 

I already know that I don't want to pursue IVF because I don't have any interest in injecting myself with all the hormones, etc. I'm completely torn on the IUI process and taking Clomid. Part of me feels like if I am not getting pregnant, maybe there's a reason for that and maybe I shouldn't push my body to try. Honestly, having grown up with diabetes (I've been T1 for 24 years) I think I always kind of thought I would just adopt and not put my body through a pregnancy. But after meeting my husband and talking to my doctors, I came around last year. My doctors have all said they think I could have a healthy pregnancy. The issue is I am terrified. I'm terrified of something going wrong, I'm terrified that I will do irreversible damage to my body by carrying a pregnancy. I thought I had accepted that and moved past it when we started TTC but now that I'm faced with the decision between trying IUI or not, I'm completely conflicted. I know plenty of T1 women who have had healthy babies and no complications, but I always focus on the handful I know who have lasting effects or trouble. My husband keeps saying it's my body and my decision, but I also know he thinks we SHOULD try the IUI process. 

I'm curious to hear IUI stories from anyone. I'm also just kind of looking for support or suggestions about how to make this decision, because I keep flip flopping. Part of me wants to "buck up" and just try it, even though it's scary. The other part of me thinks maybe I should just be cautious and not take any chances. I have been wanting to get pregnant for the last year, but now that there are challenges (unexplained challenges at that) I just can't stop thinking there's a reason for that and I should let sleeping dogs lie, you know? 

mdwinter

I had issues getting pregnant with both of my pregnancies.  The first time we tried for a year and a half, and then my doctor recommeneded the test to check my tubes.  When I went in for the test the doctor told me she would be checking my tubes, but the dye would also "clean out any cobwebs" in my tubes.  Low and behold I got pregnant the same month.  The second pregnancy, we tried for a year, and I requested the tube test again, and low and behold I got pregnant the second month after the tube test.  My doctor too wanted to do IUI, but I was very concerned with the cost and all.  I would highly recommend getting the tube test to "check if there are any blockages", and try a few more months to see what happens!!!  Good luck!

rubidoux

I was also wondering if you had your tubes checked out.  We had trouble the second time around, but it turned out to be a male issue.  Still, because they can't really do anything to help with most male problems, they do a bunch of stuff for the woman, just to give you the best possible odds.  So, I had a small fibroid removed and I had the tube thing done that mdwinter is talking about.  

I ended up getting pregnant with my second by IUI, in our second round.  The actual IUI part was pretty easy.  I did do the hormone injections though, so on the cycle that I conceived I had three eggs ready to go.  Are they thinking of doing it without the hormones?  I feel like the hormones increase your odds greatly (I'm no doctor, just my sense of how things worked for us).  If you have any specific questions about IUI's, fire away.  :)  

And I gotta say, 7 months doesn't seem like a crazy long time to try.  That sounds like it could be bad luck, yk?  I do think you did the right thing by getting checked out, though.  We waited way too long because I was still nursing my first and we thought things must be pretty much ok since we managed to do it once (after the first couple of visits I saw doctor alone and he actually asked me if my husband was definitely the father of my older one!  lmao  he was shocked that we had had a spontaneous pregnancy given the situation, so apparently a miracle pregnancy is not evidence that all is well).  My biggest regret in how we handled things was not going in WAY sooner.  I was 34 when we started trying, and 39 when my little one was born.  I think 2 or 3 years during that period can make a big difference in a lot of ways.  

Lizzie G

7 months really is not a long time. Iv always been very lucky and as soon as we try I get pregnant, the first time aged 34, most recent one I was 37. I have many friends who have taken much longer and mostly got pregnant naturally; if there no obvious fertility issues and you are only 35, I think patience should be your first line before you start interfering with clomid and artificial insemination.

As regards type 1 diabetes il be honest; if your the kind of person that sees diabetes as an issue, it will be. It's perfectly possible to have excellent control, a perfectly normal pregnancy. Full term delivery with normal sized healthy baby, I never expected any differently for myself, but then iv never made a fuss of diabetes, iv kept it tightly controlled and got on with life. I also know people that make a giant fuss over diabetes, spend a lot of mental energy on it (but not actually taking it in hand), enjoy the attention it brings them, and they have gone on to have medically complicated, attention seeking pregnancies. Totally in-necessary.

Brookie

Hi!

I've been a Type 1 for 29 years and I just had my 3rd baby. I had a lot of trouble concieving too. It's all a long story which you can read in my blog if you want, but I did do IUI, IVF....everything. I heard many reasons as to why I was not conceiving...including "unexplained" infertility. I tried Clomid with IUI and IVF. Clomid didn't work. (They told me only half the follicles have eggs in them when doing Clomid) IVF Falied. But IVF meds (injecitons) with IUI DID work! I did have some eye problems during this time. My eye doc went back in forth on whethere is was diabetes related or hormone injection related. In the end I have to say no matter what, I'm glad I did what I did and now I have my 2nd beautiful daughter because of it. It was worth it to me. They told me because of my diabetes maybe my eggs weren't as good. I did also have some endometriosis which did cause me to not have as good of an egg supply. I don't know why it all happened. It's up to you....but to me it was worth it.:)

Good luck!

Brooke

Here's my blog:

www.type1diabetesfertilityjourney.blogspot.com

Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.