Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

funkynassau

Constipation problem

funkynassau

I take metformin, januvia and diamicron for diabetes plus telmisartan to protect my kidneys.  I recently started on insulin.  I've had an issue with constipation for quite a while and before I started on meds it was never a problem.  My best guess is one of these meds is causing the trouble.  Does anyone know if these meds can cause this?

I have been eating as much fibre as I can, lots of salad and greens and tried Metamucil etc and plain psyllium too.  Nothing really helps.

Advice of any sort would be appreciated.

Lady Imp

Someone on Met who's constipated....that's not one I've heard before.... ;)

The only one of those I know anything about is insulin, and that doesn't cause constipation. Otherwise I wouldn't have pooped in 18 years. And that would be painful.

In the meantime though, how's your water intake? Drinking more water sometimes helps to soften things up, maybe if you added an extra couple of glasses until you figure out what's causing it?

Ela

Well, I'm the one who became constipated on Met!  It took me about a month though and I didn't have this problem before. 

My guess though is it's not as much Met as low carb diet.  Carbs hold the water in the colon or stomach or whatever and help to develop a healthy....mass.   Low carb diet kind of diuretic and made water go through me seemingly without a stop.  So a wise member on this forum suggested Magnesium Citrate and I'm taking it every morning since then - problem solved.

mzteacher

My gastro Dr. and surgeon suggested 2 fiber pills a day and 1 stool softener. They said safe to take forever.  I have found taking 2 vitafusion Fiber Well gummies  a day a more pleasant and even tasty was to get fiber. I now do not take the stool softener every day any more. The gummies are sugar free and taste like gummy candy. Sad but true when eating a fiber supplement may be the nicest treat of the day! You can get them at drug stores, amazon and Costco in the store and on line. Other things by vitafusion are also really good I also take the Sleep Well melatonin. Good luck in finding what works for you. I found I just could not drink some of the other fiber things on the market.

princesslinda

Sometimes, low carb dieting can cause constipation.  If you can find MiraLax in your area, it's good for that.  You mix it with water or any other liquid and it's tasteless.  We recommend it to our patients after surgery.

Also, drinking plenty of water will help.

stinastina

I add coconut oil to my coffee daily and find it keeps me regular. I use 2 tablespoons but if you decide to try it, start off with 1. You could add it to a sauce or meat if you don't drink coffee.

Also, magnesium in its various forms is a good bowel mover.

CandaceV

I've suffered from chronic constipation most of my life, I've narrowed it down to dairy.  I'm not much of a meat eater and get most of my protein from dairy.  So I'm not about to give it up.

I had my doctor draw blood to test magnesium, it was 108, which is the very bottom of normal.  I found out that the amount of magnesium in your blood is irrelevant to what is actually in your cells, and there's no test for that.  So I started supplementing, against my doctor's wishes.  I was having bad leg and back cramps, which went away with magnesium.

I take magnesium citrate, from Amazon, I'm a Prime member.  I buy 4 bottles at a time for free shipping.  Lasts for about 8 months, I take 3/4 teaspoon every night before bed in a glass of whatever liquid is handy.  It helps me sleep like the dead, too.  Helps keep your heartbeat consistent.

And I have BM's daily, which never happened before.

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Powder-Ounces/dp/B004189JCW/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1405088309&sr=1-3&keywords=now+foods+magnesium+citrate

Diana_CT

I also have chronic constipation that I believe is caused by nerve damage in the muscles in the colon and rectum to contract and move stool through the intestines. When my BG was 500 I had a very hard time with bowel movements, but as my BG came down and my A1C returned to normal reading my constipation eased a little bit.

I found that probiotics and drinking a lot of fluids helps, but occasionally I have to take a stool softener.

Ela

Another thing that helped my husband, who is on the same diet with me but had constipation problems long before that and for him Magnesium was some improvement but not ...the whole bag.  Anyway now we're both taking a spoon of fish oil before breakfast and THIS thing really did the trick for him! 

What I knew even before that oils help with this problem more than fiber, so I agree that coconut oil in the coffee or just taken by the spoon might help.  Fish oil, olive oil, butter -  all good remedies. 

janice21475

This is a great thread - thanking everybody who has added to it!

Candace, Thanks for the link, it is on my wish list now.

funkynassau

Wow thanks for all of the replies!  I never had any problem with metformin and diarrhea, I figured I was the only one who didn't!!

I do have some magnesium I took when I was having trouble with charley horses in the night and it solved that problem, but I haven't taken it since.  I'll get back on that today!

I do drink a lot of water, but maybe it's not enough?  I don't like coffee, but would try coconut oil added some other way.  I take Omega 3 every day.   I thought I was doing all the right things but it seems I need more of something.

Thanks!

Orlando

Early on when I started the LCHF I had a few "hardships". Solved the problem with ground flax seeds [ 36 grams], magnesium citrate[ 400mg] and at least 800 grams of fresh vegetables a day. No problems since and everything seems to work like any modern "just in time" delivery system.

GAgirl

Someone on Met who's constipated....that's not one I've heard before.... ;)

The only one of those I know anything about is insulin, and that doesn't cause constipation. Otherwise I wouldn't have pooped in 18 years. And that would be painful.

In the meantime though, how's your water intake? Drinking more water sometimes helps to soften things up, maybe if you added an extra couple of glasses until you figure out what's causing it?

I am on Met 2x a day and I am the queen -o-constipation! 

The second Met pill wreaked havoc like you are thinking it would  when I first added it, but after a week it was back to good ole 

post-51677-0-12661500-1402963316.gif

I take 300 mgs Magnesium before bed, I drink water all day long and at least 6-8 glasses and still...going for the colonoscopy in Oct. maybe some polyps cloggin' me up....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.