Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

Timing of metformin and Dawn Phenomenon

miketurco

I seem to have that Dawn Phenomenon thing going on. My A.M. FBG comes in from 125 to 145 and drops throughout the day to around 100 or 110. 

Will taking metformin at a different time help with that? I've been taking it around 10am and then again at 6pm. As I understand, the non slow release (which I have) takes 24 hours to absorb and then has a 6hr half life. So it makes sense that changing the time I take it could make a difference, but before changing my schedule I want to see what experience others have had.

Thanks

Weezy

I take my last 850 mg pill at bedtime (usually around 10 p.m.).  It doesn't seem to make any difference in my morning numbers.  :(

(I take 850 mg pills 3x/day).

GAgirl

I started taking my second pill at midnight ...helped my DP unless I ate carbs right before bed. NOw I am playing around with morning at breakfast and then at dinner just to see the difference and see which sets of times are better for me.

jims_forum

I take my last 850 mg pill at bedtime (usually around 10 p.m.).  It doesn't seem to make any difference in my morning numbers.  :(

(I take 850 mg pills 3x/day).

I would try one at 10:00 pm and one at 12:00 am midnight. Do not combine the two doses.

I also assume you are taking standard Met and not the ex/er.

Weezy

I would try one at 10:00 pm and one at 12:00 am midnight. Do not combine the two doses.

I also assume you are taking standard Met and not the ex/er.

That's interesting, jims.  I do take the standard met....one when I get up, one mid-day, and one before bed.  I eat very low carb <30 at about 2 meals/day with no snacks.

Do you think it is more important to control the DP by taking two doses so close together, or to keep the levels more even throughout the day by taking one mid day?  I'm still learning about DP and all of the issues involved with it.

jwags

I take the regular, not the extended. I tske 3 x 850's. I take them at 11 pm, 3-4 am and around 7:30 am. This usually gives me a fasting of 96-110 dependi g on the carbs eaten the day before. I have experimented with snacks and it doesn't make much of a difference. DP is usually a problem with the liver dumping glucose and the pancreas too slow to respond.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.