Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ridger37

Opposite of white coat?!

ridger37

Hey guys

My blood pressure is a little high, so I take coversyl for it.  I know white coat hypertension is an issue for some, but I seem to have the opposite - when the doctor (or nurse) takes my blood pressure manually, it's way lower than it is with the machine.  I went to the clinic today and here were my results:

-With the machine, the first reading was 157/83 (I walked into the room and the nurse slapped the machine on me without any rest and talked to me throughout the reading)

-This caused her to panic a bit, stop talking to me, wait a minute, and then take it again with the machine - 127/88

-These were both way higher than it had been the last few visits with my regular doctor (who does it manually), so I asked the doctor to do a manual reading - 125/75, and a few things were off that probably raised the numbers up (arm way below heart level, limited rest).

This is how it always goes.  When I use those blood pressure monitors at the pharmacy or clinic, it's always high.  When I get it done by doctors, it's totally normal (it's been as low as 100/60).

I was freaked out about this before, but I convinced myself it was just machine related anxiety.  Of course now the anxiety has started up again after today's visit (especially that 157).

Would you guys be worried about this?  Or should I just stop letting them bring those machines near me?  My pulse jumps from 60 to 90 as soon as I see the machine - it's ridiculous.

Thanks.

Orlando

No need to worry, its happened to me more than once. I think its best to buy your own machine and measure at home under the correct conditions.

FYI, I take Bp medications [ very small dosages] and measure from time to time to see that everything is stable. 

Luckily my sick fund or health scheme allows me to buy a machine for a tiny sum every two or three years.One of the reasons for encouraging people to measure by themselves is to eliminate the "white

coat effect", the other reason is to save the doctors time.

ridger37

Ohh, I can't do that.  It's the same problem at home, because I'm still freaked out by the machine.  I ended up getting rid of the last one I had because I was worrying about it way too much.

Orlando

So then your question would be better suited to a forum that deals with anxiety, fears, phobias etc, I would think.

ridger37

Yeah, you're right.  I guess I'm just wondering if I can just trust the manual readings, or if the automatic ones are most accurate.  I can't seem to find a good answer.

Orlando

Ohh, I can't do that.  It's the same problem at home, because I'm still freaked out by the machine.  I ended up getting rid of the last one I had because I was worrying about it way too much.

If you are at all serious, its time for you to decide what YOU really want. Otherwise I get the impression that you are just playing around with these posts.Good luck.

Haniwitch

ridger37, have you tried meditation or even just deep breathing exercises for a few minutes just before they test you?  I do have white coat syndrome and I never realized how quickly those two techniques can help with BP.  Usually I get to the doctor's office at least half an hour before my appointment and while I'm in the waiting room I both meditate and do deep breathing and my BP's always good when they test.  Then one time I got there a little later and the doctor called me in before my appointment time so I didn't have time to calm down.  She took my BP, looked at the numbers and left me alone for five minutes.  A few deep breaths, a few happy thoughts, and when she came back everything was back to normal.  I was amazed the numbers could change that fast.

The funny thing is that while doctors terrify me I have no problem with the lab people poking and prodding me (I have very uncooperative veins) and taking all the blood they want from me.  I could sit there all day and get jabbed over and over again but put a doctor in the room and that's the end of me.  

And familiarity does not make it any easier.  I've known my doctor for quite a few years now and the BP incident took place just a few months ago.  You'd think by now I'd be used to her but no way.  To me a white coat is a white coat and it doesn't matter who's wearing it. 

ridger37

If you are at all serious, its time for you to decide what YOU really want. Otherwise I get the impression that you are just playing around with these posts.Good luck.

What?!  I post here all the time, and I'm definitely not "playing around".  I'm looking for a reason to explain a huge difference between readings between two different techniques.  It's a legitimate question.  Anyway, sorry if my second post came off as flippant (I think it probably did).  I guess I disregarded your first post too quickly because I had already tried to do the machine thing in a calm, home environment, and yet I still had the same problem (very different readings from what the doctors get).  Anyway, I appreciate the replies, and I wasn't trying to be rude.  I'm just frustrated.

ridger37

ridger37, have you tried meditation or even just deep breathing exercises for a few minutes just before they test you?  I do have white coat syndrome and I never realized how quickly those two techniques can help with BP.  Usually I get to the doctor's office at least half an hour before my appointment and while I'm in the waiting room I both meditate and do deep breathing and my BP's always good when they test.  Then one time I got there a little later and the doctor called me in before my appointment time so I didn't have time to calm down.  She took my BP, looked at the numbers and left me alone for five minutes.  A few deep breaths, a few happy thoughts, and when she came back everything was back to normal.  I was amazed the numbers could change that fast.

The funny thing is that while doctors terrify me I have no problem with the lab people poking and prodding me (I have very uncooperative veins) and taking all the blood they want from me.  I could sit there all day and get jabbed over and over again but put a doctor in the room and that's the end of me.  

And familiarity does not make it any easier.  I've known my doctor for quite a few years now and the BP incident took place just a few months ago.  You'd think by now I'd be used to her but no way.  To me a white coat is a white coat and it doesn't matter who's wearing it. 

Thanks for the advice.  I'm glad to know other people's numbers change rapidly, too.  It probably is just anxiety relating to the machines that's pushing mine up so high.  My first sign of diabetes complications was high blood pressure, so I've been kind of obsessed with it.  I was doing better when I tossed my home machine and just trusted the doctor's manual readings.  I think maybe I should just go back to doing that, and refuse the machine at clinics.

Haniwitch

I was doing better when I tossed my home machine and just trusted the doctor's manual readings.  I think maybe I should just go back to doing that, and refuse the machine at clinics.

With me it was just the opposite.  My doctor thought I'd have to get a monitor to test at home just so she could see what my BP was like when she wasn't standing next to me.  Luckily the relaxation techniques worked and I didn't have to make that extra investment.  

And yes, it was surprising when it dropped so much in just five minutes.  I expected it to go down a little but not down to where it should be.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.