Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

am1977

Anyone watch Dateline Tonight?

ashlyn

Insulin in my state (Michigan) doesn't require a prescription except Lantus. Maybe even Humalog I am not sure on that. I have insurance but when I buy my Novolin R I pay out of pocket only because my insurance copay would cost the exact same. Look guys..there is no excuse for that little girl to have died that way. An A1C of 15 or heck just for kicks let's say 12, is ridiculous and unacceptable for an adult or a child. In our world today insurance is provided to every child..no if's and's or but's about it!!!! Medication is available to every child. Let's not kid ourselves on this one and try to empathize with the "grief stricken" parents. They were ignorant and yes...extremely neglectful of that child. I was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 9 (1979). Treatments were not like they are now. Once home from the hospital my mother had to learn, just as I did, how to care for me. I remember screaming, crying and pleading with her not to poke me anymore. No more finger pricks, no more shots in the arms!!! My mother never gave up and left me. NEVER!!! I ate 3-5 meals a day...even when I was sick. I am certain she wanted to throw me in a snow bank or leave me in a pasture somewhere for someone else to worry about my disease. But my point is I was taken to regular doc visits, my mother tested my BG for me, morning and night. There was no excuse for these parents to give up on that child or let her die! While we're at it...let's punish the doc who even sent that child home with an A1C of 15!! My doc would have me in the hospital ASAP. If my daughters ever become diabetic there is no way in heck I would turn my back. No way....no how......no reason. I would think to even the most oblivious person this case is MURDER!!! I can't believe anyone would even blame that little girl. Yes..she may have knew better than to do what she did.....but let's face it...she's a child! The mother is the adult in the relationship and should have taken the lead.

Dewey
You really can't get all emotional about something like this. It happens.. there are very stupid people in this world. What about people in the 3rd word who come up with the disease, I am sure many people in other countries die of this very same thing--now if you are going to get emotional, that is something to get emotional about.

I agree that there are very stupid people in this world, but it does not excuse what happened to this little girl. I also don't agree with comparing Ariel's situation with other peoples' (i.e. those in third world countries). The very fact that something like this happened in a country where there's plenty of access to appropriate medical care, makes it that much worse. Before, I believed that Ariel should have been more responsible, but reflecting back, I realized just how much my parents helped me during my youth. If it weren't for them (especially my mom), I wouldn't be here now. :adore: I got lucky in that I was blessed with good, caring parents. My mom STILL watches over me, to this day. She'll call and ask how my blood is, and when I visit with her, she can tell when I'm low (or "off"), just by looking at me.

someone
but it does not excuse what happened to this little girl.

Nothing excuses what happened to the little girl, that is not what I was trying to say. Just for me, it is not worth getting all emotional about.

Erin
You really can't get all emotional about something like this. It happens.. there are very stupid people in this world.

Yes there are very stupid people in this world, unfortunately, Ariel's mother was not stupid.

Ariel was diabetic since she was 3, she died at 11. That is 8 years to figure out how this diabetes thing works, and if you can care for a toddler with D, you can care for an 11 year old.

When her HbA1c was 15+ (not at diagnosis, after being diabetic for about 6 years) she told the TYPE ONE DIABETIC Diabetes Educator nurse, that she did not need education on how to care for her daughter. How much more of an expert can a medical professional be, than someone with the technical training and the first hand experience of a T1 CDE? Rather than taking the help the mother simply moved to a different state so Children's Services couldn't track her.

And as for the argument that the child could have cheated, the mother can't be held responsible, that is the biggest load of bull$h!t I've ever heard! The mother has a responsibility to check the daughter's blood sugar and get medical help if the numbers are too high. If the meter was full of readings (4+ every day), even if those readings were all 500 or above, I would say the mom was trying, but didn't have the education / resources / medical support necessary to care for her child, or that the child was just shooting herself in the foot by eating ridiculous amounts of trash. That is not what happened. That child was abused, by a selfish and I'd even go so far as to say evil woman. I think the mother blamed diabetes for her marriage failing, and that's why she stopped taking care of her daughter.

The father is stupid, the school system is stupid, DYFS or whatever acronym Children's Services goes by in Nevada is stupid, the mother is pure evil.

alilpita

I totally agree about the amount of stupid people in the world. But this is NOT a third world and these things should not happen here at all. I could see if it were a 3rd world country but it's just not. There are doctors and resources that are plentyful here. The woman(mother) herself said she knew what she was doing and didn't need told. So if she had been educated, which she had more than once why did this still happen??? Means that she intentionally let it. In my book this was her way of not getting charged with murder. This is a sick world we live in, any mother who has a sick child that they love will go to the ends of earth to care for their child,. This woman did not care about this child as much as she stated. Did anyone truly look at her face?? Look at her and really see her, I didn't buy any of it.

I agree with you Erin the mother is pure evil!!!!!!!

Emotion is what a normal human being has as they relate to any given situation. I do not fault anyone for showing how they feel about a situation as that is what a forum is for. Everyone may not always agree but that's the beauty of a forum. It's your opinion, you're entitled to it with or without emotion.

Just my 2 cents

someone

She should be charged with murder! END OF STORY. The husband should have done something, but they really didn't say enough in the show to really know what his deal was.

Eve

I am so outragged by the death of this little girl. I blame EVERYONE. If you are going to put the mother in jail be sure to put the other adults in charge of her care in as well. I think the very nurse that testified in court should be just as responsible and all of Ariel's medical professionals in her life. I also think that once the insurance company sees that a everyday NEEDED medication, is no longer being filled then they should contact the doctors to see why. And what about the father? I mean when my husband is not home for the day and calls at home he ask me and my daughter what her levels are. How come the father was not involved with his child's medical history?

When a mother is informed that her child's A1C is that high and refuses to have a consult. The authorities should be informed.

My oldest child was killed by a drunk driver. And even though I know logically it was not my fault. I spend every day blaming myself. This mother really made me angry when she was asked do you blame yourself. She replied that she didn't that she was a good mother.

I'm a true believer and I pray that this little girl is enjoying every beautiful moment heaven has to offer.

am1977
I am so outragged by the death of this little girl. I blame EVERYONE. If you are going to put the mother in jail be sure to put the other adults in charge of her care in as well. I think the very nurse that testified in court should be just as responsible and all of Ariel's medical professionals in her life. I also think that once the insurance company sees that a everyday NEEDED medication, is no longer being filled then they should contact the doctors to see why. And what about the father? I mean when my husband is not home for the day and calls at home he ask me and my daughter what her levels are. How come the father was not involved with his child's medical history?

When a mother is informed that her child's A1C is that high and refuses to have a consult. The authorities should be informed.

My oldest child was killed by a drunk driver. And even though I know logically it was not my fault. I spend every day blaming myself. This mother really made me angry when she was asked do you blame yourself. She replied that she didn't that she was a good mother.

I'm a true believer and I pray that this little girl is enjoying every beautiful moment heaven has to offer.

Eve,

I'm very, very sorry about the loss of your child :(. That's truly a sad thing. No parent should ever have to bury her child.

You are right. The mother is responsible, but others involved dropped the ball too. It's a very unfortunate and sad thing :bawling: and it didn't have to happen. I don't know where Ariel's parents were when she was having these extremly high levels and why nothing was done to try to help this little girl. I find it very odd that she can call herself a good parent. Obviously, she doesn't know the definition of what good is, because it sure as heck isn't her :frown:.

I wish that there was a different outcome to this story and that Ariel didn't die. But, I think we can take comfort that she is in a better place. I'm sure she is among angels in heaven :hypocrite:

JediSkipdogg

Firstly, I believe the father was not involved in this because the parents were divorced and he only had visitation rights. Plus they lived pretty far away, so it would be easy for the mom to hide stuff from the dad. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

As for insurance, that you can't blaim. Insurance companies see MILLIONS of claims a day and some that just end all the time because doctors change prescriptions or methods of treatment. They don't have enough time to call doctors to see if they changed treatment.

I do blaim the mom, the daughter, and the hospital though for not stepping in and doing something more. I'm not sure where the dad does stand in all this, if he knew anything about this or if it was all a total shock, but I would think he could sue the mom (whom proply has no money) and the hospital for not taking a harsher treatment when the daughter had high/deadly A1C levels multiple times.

alilpita

Jedi

the Dad lived very close by. In fact they were talking about when Ariel had ridden her bike over to see him.

I agree, the Dad and Mom should be held responsible but primary custody was with the childs Mother and she was a young child not mature enough to really understand the consequences of what she was doing. Who knows maybe she felt responsible for her parents break up and thought if she got sick it would bring them back together. Hard to say but this child was too young to fully understand what she was doing, 11 years on this earth does not make her responsible that's why she had a mother and father.

She has found peace though that I am certain of. And her true father knows what really happenned and that gives me peace knowing they will pay a larger price than they can even imagine. So may I just say, "burn in heck, you day will come". Ariel is now a free spirit.

Eve,

I am so sorry for what happenned to your daughter. But this had nothing to do with you, I guess it's normal though to think if we'd just done one thing different could it have made a difference. Don't blame yourself but take comfort in knowing your daughters arms were out and waiting to embrace Ariel in her new life. They are at peace now!

cherokee_psh
Firstly, I believe the father was not involved in this because the parents were divorced and he only had visitation rights.

Just because the parents are divorced does not end their responsibilities as a parent. Yes it would have been harder. Parents should ... no are required to do the hard work. He had the same right to his daughters medical records as the mother. He needed only to follow up! I guess he had better thing to do then verify his daughter health.

JediSkipdogg
Just because the parents are divorced does not end their responsibilities as a parent. Yes it would have been harder. Parents should ... no are required to do the hard work. He had the same right to his daughters medical records as the mother. He needed only to follow up! I guess he had better thing to do then verify his daughter health.

But if you are divorced and your partner says your daughter's medical treatment is going well and the daughter states it too are you going to start another family arguement asking to verify medical records? Most families still have some trust in certain areas even when seperated. I don't see a need for him to follow up on everything that happened because that may upset the mother more and cause more problems later on which could have been bad had the daughter still been living. It's a chance you take, but you can't second guess yourself everytime something bad happens.

Erin

At least during the last year of Ariel's life she lived in the same city as her father. She even rode her bike over to his home the week before she died. He mentioned her looking "pale" and "not right" but he attributed it to her riding her bike across town. Yes, I think he should have noticed something was wrong, and should have stepped in to make SURE that his ex-wife was caring for their child, but LEGALLY he is in the clear. The mother was supposed to take care of Ariel, as she is the parent the girl lived with. He dropped the ball, and I bet he beats himself up over NOT noticing every day, but legally he can't be held to the same standard as the custodial parent. Morally, that depends on how much of it was ignorance of the situation, and how much of it was callousness.

How do you expect the hospital to keep track of this little girl when her two high a1c's were taken over a year a part, at different hospitals, in different states? The mother moved from Colorado to Nevada shortly after the first high a1c was recorded. There was no mention of a doctor in Nevada at the trial (other than the doctors from the emergency clinic she went to days before she died) and there were no other A1c test results mentioned between the Colorado reading and the reading days before Ariel died, which leads me to believe that the mother did not take the little girl to see the endo after their move. There was no medical professionals watching out for this little girl because her MOTHER didn't take her to the doctor's office.

I can not in good conscience blame the little girl at all. Even if she was doing EVERYTHING wrong, I'm talking eating a bowl of sugar for breakfast with some chocolate milk on the side, where were the ADULTS? Sometimes being a good parent is saying "no, you can not eat a bowl of sugar for breakfast this morning" and "yes, you have to take your insulin." She was 11, not a rebellious teenager. and you don't get an A1c of 16 by cheating when your mother's back is turned, unless your mother's back is ALWAYS turned.

kgm0612

In some states, you do NOT need a prescription for insulin. In my state, anyone can purchase insulin without an Rx.......but you need one to purchase syringes!

JediSkipdogg
In some states, you do NOT need a prescription for insulin. In my state, anyone can purchase insulin without an Rx.......but you need one to purchase syringes!

Looking at the syringes from a law enforcement perspective that makes sense. But from a perspective of medical needs, it doesn't make sense. Gotta love the FDA. Hmmmm, who created that department of the goverment?

Erin

Well it makes sense in a way, if you're in a strange city (where you'd need a prescription... your local pharmacy is gonna have that on file) that you'd already have your syringes, but you could accidentally drop a vial of insulin and be up a creek if you weren't a good girl scout who brought extras. I always thought that was the rationale behind making some insulin available otc? Or am I trying too hard to make logic where logic is absent?

sydneya
Well it makes sense in a way, if you're in a strange city (where you'd need a prescription... your local pharmacy is gonna have that on file) that you'd already have your syringes, but you could accidentally drop a vial of insulin and be up a creek if you weren't a good girl scout who brought extras. I always thought that was the rationale behind making some insulin available otc? Or am I trying too hard to make logic where logic is absent?

Logic is good. Not always there-but good. When I had carpal tunnel surgery, I did exactly that. I was in Denny's restroom and dropped and broke my vial of insulin. I was very glad I didn't need a Rx for insulin. My husband just ran across the parking lot and got me another bottle.

Cinnabon

A bit OFF TOPIC.....

Here in Florida you need an Rx for everything but R & N. I can understand due to that Gyms/Bodyubuilders are stocking up on insulin for non-diabetes related reasons, Crazy i know!

But to pull us through an emergency, like Erin stated, there should be some simple form of us proving we are. (Showing our pump for some of us).

Erin

Well, in an emergency I guess you could put R in your pump. Probably wouldn't work terribly well, but you'd survive until you could get home or to a doc to write you a script.

Like I know in an emergency I could use R and N (if I could remember my stinking doses) it wouldn't be fun, but I could do it, if i had to.

vrocco1

The thing that made me sick was when the reporter asked the mother if she felt at all responsible. The mother denied all responsibility! When a child dies, a mother will feel responsible whether she was or not! That women should rot in jail.:thumpdown

cweyand

I did not watch the show, so I am speaking strictly in reation to this posting. I am responding because I believe that people do the best they can to cope. Sometimes their best is problematic, but it remains the best option they have from their internal emotional world. The mother's denial is her desperate effort to keep her painful feeling out of her awarenes.

The mother may know she is not responsible for her child's developing this horrible condition, which is reality. That a mother would feel something contrary to what she knows is normal. She can keep her feelings unconscious by denying them and topping it off with the rational support for the denial. For her it is better than the alternative, whatever that may be.

rea

wow, that is a case where not only the childs parents were at fault, but the doctor for not doing something! If I had a high a1c, my doctor would have me back in a month to make sure it was corrected!

what an awful story!

it amazes me how people can have children and not look after them.

tyrice

Wow. That story literally floored me. I started reading it with my kids sitting behind me and found my self yelling at my monitor regarding the idiotic comments in the case.

IMO The mother should've been found guilty in the first. Personally I think she planned it. Its just too easy. Her child wasa diabetic for 8 years..8 YEARS!!! There is absolutely no reason what so ever that her sugars should've been that high consistently. I was diagnosed at 12. Sure I cheated occasionally. But I always got caught because my mom was right there over my shoulder when I was poking my fingers. If anything was out of the ordinary I was automatically in the hotseat. No excuses. 3 glucometers and only 2 recorded tests?? Come on..Lets have some common sense here. I won't argue the purchase of insulin otc. Only because she may have been doing it, but its obvious she wasn't using them.

They mentioned the mother had a boyfriend as well, he was only mention nce I believe. Maybe he wasn't comfortable with the fact if her having a daughter that took so much responsibility. She was also probably blaming her daughters sickness as reason for her divorce and did not want a repeat with her current companion. I mean, with all that was presented there is no reason this should've happened. That woman is sick and needs serious mental instruction. I want to comment on the father as well, but there wasn't any supporting information given about their situation. We don't no the stipulations of their divorce. We don't know how much he was allowed to see his daughter or even talk to her. We also don't know what the mother was telling him about their daughters health. I may have forgotten, but did they even say how long they were divorced for? If he's not exposed to seeing his daughter in her different stages of illness, I an understand why he didn't immediately raise a flag when he saw her. He did tell her to ask her mom to make a doctors appointment. Some might say he could've taken her himself, or even called her mom himself, but like stated earlier we don't know the restrictions on their custody agreement. There are a lot of variables involved as well as emotion.

The doctors I believe should've attempted at least a follow up after that A1C..Yeah I think they dropped the ball on that one. But with so many patients coming in and out, its easy to get lost in the shuffle. Not an excuse, just reality. I think there is more to this case than whats being shown. People say now he mother has to live with the sadness of burying her own child. In her case I think its a case of relief more than sadness. Thats one HUGE responisbility off of her head. And the way her DA is working, she's not going to see much time unless someone opens their eyes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.