Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rhapsody23

Can't control levels

Rhapsody23

This is my first pregnancy dealing with GD. My last they think I had it, but wasn't not caught. I normally have impaired fasting glucose...so I'm used to how I feel with different levels.

This is the first time I've ever had to monitor and now take insulin. I started early with everything and started insulin at 18 wks. I was hoping to control with diet, but my doctor says no. I'm not very high, but I can't seem to get near where they want me. I started my diet with 2 carb servings for breakfast and snacks and 3 at lunch and dinner. Now, they want me to only have 1 serving for breakfast. I'm currently at 12 units twice a day. What I don't understand is why after a week or so of my doctor increasing my insulin do my levels go back up? This morning my fasting was 111 and my 2 hr post breakfast was 120. I haven't changed what I eat for bedtime snack much and I eat the same thing everyday for breakfast. I know levels get higher as pregnancy progresses, but my doctors have said if I don't get them lower, they want me to cut more carbs out of my diet. I'm so hungry!! I think this would be my break down point if they cut anymore food out. I'm 25 wks now and only 135 lbs. the lightest I have been in any pregnancy. What suggestions does anyone have? Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

Aggie

I can't speak to the pregnancy issue, but from a diet issue, you shouldn't be hungry.  You should up your fat intake while cutting the carbs.  High fat foods have a lot of calories and are very filling, and won't raise you blood sugar.  Cheese, nuts, eggs, meat/fish?

princesslinda

I have no experience with pregnancy, but perhaps if you ate a really low carb breakfast, eggs, meat and cheese, you'll be less hungry, stay satisfied longer and require less insulin.  I find the more carbs I eat, the hungrier I get and i'm the most carb sensitive earlier in the day.  Do you have to have the snacks?  Perhaps try nuts, cheese, pork rinds, celery/cucumbers, green peppers with ranch dressing or celery with peanut butter...these lower carb options might help with #'s and hunger...you could also keep some boiled eggs on hand if you like them, and have one for a quick snack.  You shouldn't have to be hungry when you're cutting your carbs.

Tanikit

You are pregnant - increase the insulin - really that baby needs food. I agree increase the fat and all that - but really why can you not be on lots of insulin - maybe that is what your baby and your body needs. It is also possible that two injections of long acting a day is not good enough - maybe they need to switch you to bolus insulin also. 

As far as insulin with type 1 diabetes goes, many diabetics by the end of pregnancy are on three times the insulin they started on - so if they were taking 30 units/day at the start they will end at 90 units a day - and this varies from person to person so could be more even. GD is slightly different and works slightly more like type 2 diabetes but again the hormones that insulin is fighting are incredible - you need more and more and more - so take more! Don't let the doctors decide how much is too much - let your your body decide - too much is if you have any lows and you are not there yet (aim for something that will keep you at less risk of lows - which does also mean lowering the carbs slightly... but you are pregnant - you body does need some carbs.

Orlando

Maybe try some ground flax seeds. I started using them because they are very low in carbohydrates, have good protein content and contain omega 3 fatty acids.The fibre content is also high, another advantage for low carbers.

In the beginning I just used to add water to the ground seeds and drink the stuff. Now I add hot or cold water to make a porridge, I tart it up a bit with salt and pepper to improve the taste, but obviously

there are many ways of flavouring it.

Here are the nutritional values for flax seed,

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3163/2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.