Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrammaBear

Using almond flour ?

GrammaBear

Do those of you who use almond or coconut flour have any difficulties with your baked goods wanting to get really brown or even to burn?  I've made a number of recipes from Elana's Pantry and even though I lower the heat on my oven, the baked goods tend to get a lot darker than I would like.  I made her recipe for 'Simple Bread' but had to line the magic pan with parchment paper.  Just wondering how other people are handling this problem.

adiantum

I thought it was my new oven, so yes it does bake darker for me.

I use a turbo convection plug in oven & put a sheet of foil over the top to stop the darkening.

dowling gram

I have found the opposite. Baked goods with almond flour tend to brown lightly. Did your oven have the same problem with things make with flour? Did they bake at the lowest time called for? If so it may be your oven.

I do know that oven temperatures can vary widely--by as much as 50 degrees. Manufacturers can't seem to get oven thermostats right. I wised up when the Canadian show Marketplace did a test on ovens and found that most ovens do not show correct temperatures. My old oven baked quickly often in less time than called for so I set the thermostat 10 degrees less. My new oven is slow so I set it at 25 degrees more unless the temperature called for is 400 degrees or above. My toaster convection oven is bang on and I do most of my baking in it unless it is too small to hold what I'm making.

In addition dark tins cook faster than light tins so if your baking pans are dark they may be at fault

jwags

I use the convection feature on the oven and lower the temp by 25 degrees and lower the time by about 5-7 minutes. I think it is the fat in the ground nuts. I have the same problem if Imam roasting nuts in the oven. One minute they are not done, the next burnt.

jims_forum

A couple of points:

I agree about ovens having sloppy temperature control Their thermostats are super cheap and unreliable.

I would get one of those oven temperature units - they are mechanical and low cost and leave in oven and see how its control temperature

is tracking on oven thermometer.

Another issue is thickness of metal on pan and super thin pans can cause trouble you are seeing. Elana's cook book does ahve a section at back of book discussing 

an issue with thin cooking pans.

Another issue is that measuring out almond flour is real tricky and measuring the weight most reliable. Almond flour is real fluffy and one can really over stuff a recipe 

with too much almond flour or in some cases under stuff. Measuring cup and eyeball are most unreliable. Once I went to measuring by weight ; the recipes worked out far better.

Cheers and best wishes!

GrammaBear

I suspect that Jim is right to point out about the thickness or thinness of the metal pan.  Some of my pans were quite old, so I put them aside and bought just a couple of new ones.  They are worse than the old ones I tried before.  Most are made in China and several of those developed "leaks" (which never happened to me in my whole life).  I guess I need to find a good, heavier and reliable brand made somewhere besides China.

Parchment paper seemed to help.  My oven baked other goods made with wheat flour just right.  I've been trying out the recipes with almond flour and or coconut flour just because they did sound delicious and most are a little bit lower carb content.

Caravaggio

Parchment paper seemed to help.  My oven baked other goods made with wheat flour just right.  I've been trying out the recipes with almond flour and or coconut flour just because they did sound delicious and most are a little bit lower carb content.

Do the almond flour and coconut flour separate? I tried one recipe that calls for both, and the two types of flour always separate. I personally don't mind but my husband does. So for now, I just take the coconut flour out. I'm wondering what I was doing wrong.

jims_forum

I suspect that Jim is right to point out about the thickness or thinness of the metal pan.  Some of my pans were quite old, so I put them aside and bought just a couple of new ones.  They are worse than the old ones I tried before.  Most are made in China and several of those developed "leaks" (which never happened to me in my whole life).  I guess I need to find a good, heavier and reliable brand made somewhere besides China.

Thank you GrammaBear:

As one who has been in the leading edge of electronics technology, those of our forefathers and living in the ancient steam age were not wrong.

I found I loved my oldest pans and their heavy duty build. The new crap is really a disgrace.

Our forefathers in the past were not stupid and did some incredibly smart things. Cooking pans and metal used there was one of them.

Best wishes . blessings and good luck!

GrammaBear

Do the almond flour and coconut flour separate? I tried one recipe that calls for both, and the two types of flour always separate. I personally don't mind but my husband does. So for now, I just take the coconut flour out. I'm wondering what I was doing wrong.

In Elana's recipe for 'Simple Bread' I honestly did not notice that the two flours separated at all.  I first mix the two flours together with a wire whisk before I add the other ingredients.  I use the almond and coconut flour from Honeyville company, don't know if that is a consideration or not.  I don't think you did anything wrong though, probably just something that happened.

GrammaBear

Thank you GrammaBear:

As one who has been in the leading edge of electronics technology, those of our forefathers and living in the ancient steam age were not wrong.

I found I loved my oldest pans and their heavy duty build. The new crap is really a disgrace.

Our forefathers in the past were not stupid and did some incredibly smart things. Cooking pans and metal used there was one of them.

Best wishes . blessings and good luck!

Jim ~

I agree with your statement on oldest pans.  Many years ago my husband and I were visiting his parents on their farm in northern Wisconsin.  I should preface my remarks by saying my MIL was an absolutely wonderful cook.  Anyway visiting them was always a pleasure as my MIL was willing to answer any of my questions regarding cooking no matter how foolish they seemed to me.  One day we were talking in her kitchen while we were working, and I mentioned that I sure 'wish' I had a cast iron skillet as MY grandmother had one that she had loved.

Silently my MIL left the kitchen, and was gone to the basement for a short time.  When she returned, she carried a 10" cast iron skillet that had been hanging on a nail in their semi-finished basement.  Her explanation was as follows:  One day a city lady came to the farm to buy eggs and she brought my MIL a cast iron skillet (new) that someone had given her.  City lady said "I don't want this old skillet - would you like it?"  My Mil said "Yes, I will take it."  MIL already had a cast iron skillet from her mother, so she put the gifted skillet on a nail in their basement.  Hence when I married into the family that skillet had been hanging there better than 25 years.  I've had the same skillet for over 30 years and it is still my favorite by far.  I treasure that skillet for many reasons, but mostly because my MIL gave it to me.  RIP Rose Marie. :)

GrammaBear

I use the convection feature on the oven and lower the temp by 25 degrees and lower the time by about 5-7 minutes. I think it is the fat in the ground nuts. I have the same problem if Imam roasting nuts in the oven. One minute they are not done, the next burnt.

I also have that problem, but I solved it .... sort of.  I drizzle a little coconut or olive oil in my cast iron skillet and toast my almond nuts on top of the stove, constantly stirring until they are roasted.  I can't walk away even to answer the phone as the almonds will burn fast!!!

Kit

Jim ~

I agree with your statement on oldest pans.  Many years ago my husband and I were visiting his parents on their farm in northern Wisconsin.  I should preface my remarks by saying my MIL was an absolutely wonderful cook.  Anyway visiting them was always a pleasure as my MIL was willing to answer any of my questions regarding cooking no matter how foolish they seemed to me.  One day we were talking in her kitchen while we were working, and I mentioned that I sure 'wish' I had a cast iron skillet as MY grandmother had one that she had loved.

Silently my MIL left the kitchen, and was gone to the basement for a short time.  When she returned, she carried a 10" cast iron skillet that had been hanging on a nail in their semi-finished basement.  Her explanation was as follows:  One day a city lady came to the farm to buy eggs and she brought my MIL a cast iron skillet (new) that someone had given her.  City lady said "I don't want this old skillet - would you like it?"  My Mil said "Yes, I will take it."  MIL already had a cast iron skillet from her mother, so she put the gifted skillet on a nail in their basement.  Hence when I married into the family that skillet had been hanging there better than 25 years.  I've had the same skillet for over 30 years and it is still my favorite by far.  I treasure that skillet for many reasons, but mostly because my MIL gave it to me.  RIP Rose Marie. :)

When I got married, my mother gave me one of her cast iron skillets that she had owned for almost a decade before I was born.  That surface is slicker than any non stick out there and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

My mom always cooked with cast iron skillets.  Same as her mother, and so on back generations.

GrammaBear

When I got married, my mother gave me one of her cast iron skillets that she had owned for almost a decade before I was born.  That surface is slicker than any non stick out there and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

My mom always cooked with cast iron skillets.  Same as her mother, and so on back generations.

Yep, that is the same condition as mine is.  Not that I haven't burned anything over the years, but the inside of my cast iron skillet is a silver grey color while the outside is blacker than black.  I usually put a little coconut oil or olive oil on it and it is rare to have something stick to the surface.  Nowadays when you go looking for a cast iron skillet you will find the 'new' ones have a coating that the mfg put there.  The coating comes off with repeated use, so why they put it on in the first place is beyond me.

Kit

My mom would also reseason her skillets once a year, usually during spring cleaning.

She's scrub them with soap and water, then coat them liberally with a coat of oil (my grandmother used lard).

She's then stick them in a 250 degree oven and leave them there for at least 8 hours.  They were always in excellent condition,

jims_forum

Great comments GrammaBear. I also have cooked with wheat flour from simple to english dark fruit cakes and things went well - not many surprises.

Once I went to almond flour, it was like fights with a badger/wolverine and all sorts of surprises and nasty failures.

It is tricky and other issues need mastering! Nobody says very much in that arena with few guiding instructions to the newbies and what to watch out for!

Speaking of leakage on Chinese pans, I had some old style muffin pans I made yorkshire puddings with no problem till I got on the new chinese leaky pans. Almost burned the house down as fat leaked out and hit the hot bottom of the oven and ignited. Typically one is cooking those damn things at 400 degrees plus for a while!

GrammaBear

Great comments GrammaBear. I also have cooked with wheat flour from simple to english dark fruit cakes and things went well - not many surprises.

Once I went to almond flour, it was like fights with a badger/wolverine and all sorts of surprises and nasty failures.

It is tricky and other issues need mastering! Nobody says very much in that arena with few guiding instructions to the newbies and what to watch out for!

Speaking of leakage on Chinese pans, I had some old style muffin pans I made yorkshire puddings with no problem till I got on the new chinese leaky pans. Almost burned the house down as fat leaked out and hit the hot bottom of the oven and ignited. Typically one is cooking those damn things at 400 degrees plus for a while!

We must have gotten muffin pans from the same lot number regarding the leaky chinese pans.  :)  We have electric oven and I had just put ours through its 'cleaning cycle'..........brand spankin' clean oven and along come those leaky chinese pans :angry:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.