Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comet

Intermittent Fasting

Comet

Anyone try this?  I'ven doing 16/8 for about a week and pretty happy so far.   My understanding is the intermittent fasting allows us to work through glycogen stores on a daily basis and force body to burn fat for fuel.  I've been doing 16/8 for about a week and pretty happy so far.   

1.  It simplifies my day - I don't have to think about making three meals and snacks.

2.  I dropped about 3 lbs so far w/o dropping calories.

3.  I don't feel deprived.  My last meal has been about 8pm, I go to bed satiated at 10.  Wake up at 6am and work-out in fasted state.   And have my breakfast at about 12 N.  My mornings are actually more productive and I seem to have more energy and not groggy.  Been having a bit of coffee and splash of cream after workout - that's it.

4.  I get a little hungry just before noon - but in a good way - not famished, just looking forward to meal.

5.  Although it's too early to say for certain its a trend, my BG readings have been consistently about 10 points lower across the board.

Thinking of adding BCAAs to pre-during-post workout to help preserve muscle.  

Be interested in hearing whether other folks are trying this and what experience you've had.  

jwags

I have tried it and my bgs just kept going higher until I ate. I tend to get hige liver dumps if I don't eat every 3-4 hours. I think my metabolism works pretty well eating mini meals and I don't need to lose weight.

rubidoux

I've been eating one meal a day most days for about three years.  I'd say in the last six months or more it's been just about every day, not sure if I've missed any days...  I would not be surprised if I do this for the duration.  It's been great!  A great lifestyle and awesome for my blood sugar.  And I've lost something like 87 pounds and had huge amounts of energy and been able to exercise like a maniac.  My favorite time to exercise is when I've been fasting for around 23 or 24 hours.  

For me, preserving muscle has not been any kind of issue.  I actually stay fairly low in protein (like 55 g a day), but I've managed to build a lot of muscle.  People have actually been commenting on how muscular I look.  The other day I was at a party and holding one of my friends twin babies who was being fussy, so I was doing something similar to squats and holding him in my arms in a way that flexed my biceps and someone noticed it and before I knew it everyone was asking me what I do for a workout bc they couldn't believe how I've changed.  It's so funny bc I have never in my life had muscles.  lol  I stand around getting distracted and poking at them bc it feels so weird to me.  But I think I would never have been able to do it w/o intermittent fasting.  Exercising in fat burning mode is a delight.  :)

Kit

I have the same problem that if I don't eat in the morning, my numbers will continue to rise until around 120 or so.  At least that's what it did last time I checked (I had to fast until about 1pm).

I honestly don't comprehend how people can manage to fast.  I just get hungry.  :)

dowling gram

What is 16/8?

16 hours and 8 hours between meals. 16+8= 24 hours

When I was young and non diabetic I did not eat regular meals. Often I'd just have 1 meal a day and I don't really think it was good for me. As I got older I started eating regular meals. Now that I'm a senior and diabetic I eat regular meals and a couple of snacks. If I don't eat breakfast I get sick to my stomach. My weight is stable and so is my BG and my energy level is better than expected at my age so no fasting for me

coob

This will show my lack of understanding - but isn't going hypo a concern with fasting?  Don't dangerous lows come from not eating for hours at a time?

rubidoux

This will show my lack of understanding - but isn't going hypo a concern with fasting?  Don't dangerous lows come from not eating for hours at a time?

Only if you're taking meds that lower your blood sugar too much in relation to what you're eating.  As a t1 it's easy for me to match my insulin to what I'm actually eating rather than eating to feed my insulin, if that makes sense.  I'm not sure how this works for t2's who're using meds.  It probably depends on what kind of meds.  But looks like you're pre-diabetic, so probably not using anything?  Would probably not be a concern for you.

Kit

I doubt you'd would risk going hypo if you're just taking something like Metformin.

Normally the liver and pancreas work together all the time in providing the body energy.  The liver excretes stored glucose, the pancreas excretes small amounts of insulin.  This way our bodies are provided energy throughout the day even though we only eat a few times.

Metformin works by making us more sensitive to the insulin we produce, it does not force us to make more insulin so risks of going hypo are as low as any normal person really.  It can happen, but much much less common

Comet

I honestly don't comprehend how people can manage to fast.  I just get hungry.  :)

Using the 16/8 method I really don't have a problem.  But the trick is, I go to bed satiated.  Getting up early, and going until noon really doesn't make me famished, but I do have a healthy appetite by then.  

Kit

I eat a good dinner between 7 and 8 pm, eat a bedtime snack at 10pm, and still end up waking my husband in the morning with my stomach growls by 6am.  :)

Plus that and by BG will keep climbing until I do eat.  I don't like spending half the day around 120+

It may work for others, but fasting doesn't work for me.  I gained a horrible amount of weight when I was dealing with my circadian rhythm disorder and was only eating 2 meals a day.

My current setup, nothing I do gets me out of ketosis (honestly I've never tried to be in it) and I've lost 38 pounds is a little over 6 months.  A1C has gone from 10.4, to 5.2.

I'm satisfied with the results for me.

funkynassau

I get that 16 + 8 = 24, but are people eating for 16 hours then not eating for 8 hours or is it the other way around?  I haven't heard of this before, hence the questions.  I eat 3 meals a day, always have.

Comet

I get that 16 + 8 = 24, but are people eating for 16 hours then not eating for 8 hours or is it the other way around?  I haven't heard of this before, hence the questions.  I eat 3 meals a day, always have.

Uh - that would be close to typical - 3 meals a day followed by 8 hour "fast" until breakfast - not intermittent fasting.  

To get benefits of fasting needs to be long enough to force body to tap into burning fat for fuel rather than glycogen.  

miketurco

Normally the liver and pancreas work together all the time in providing the body energy.  The liver excretes stored glucose, the pancreas excretes small amounts of insulin.  This way our bodies are provided energy throughout the day even though we only eat a few times.

Metformin works by making us more sensitive to the insulin we produce, it does not force us to make more insulin so risks of going hypo are as low as any normal person really.  It can happen, but much much less common

That's a great, succinct explanation of how things work. It added clarity to what I already knew by putting it in simple terms.

Comet

Brief update - I continue to drop weight rapidly with little effort.  Going to stick with this for a while as it appears to work extremely well for me. 

miketurco

If it works for you, that's great. Keep an eye on your BG throughout the day, though. Not eating for several hours, for me, causes my blood sugar to go up. I believe it's what they call a "liver dump."

oblivious

Using the 16/8 protocol you fast for 16 hours and have a 8 hours feeding window.

There are many ways to set this up, even regular eating is intermittent fasting with the traditional 8 hour fast and 16 hour feeding window.

Some go as far as 20 hours fast and 4 hours eating window, check out the fasting twins on youtube, they have some easy info on the subject.

I have used 18/6, 16/8 and 14/10 protocols in the past with great results. BG became great and my fasted BG was allways great.

Then I decided to go even further and try hormone optimization based on the book "Engeneering the alpha".

It has 4 stages to the important hormones in the body, and the first stage is to optimize insulin sensitivity, so as a T2 I was really excited about this.

It was 4 weeks of beeing basically in ketosis and eating a careful amount of protein to not produce to much carbs from that either.

Then you indtroduce carbs at a slow and steady pace.

But it seemed that this aproach shoved my liver in to overdrive, and now I can`t get it to shut up. So when I fast now, my BG just goes high instead of low like before..

So in short, it worked great for me in the past, but seems to make things worse now. Maybe the ketose diet screwed me up for the worse?

I don`t know, but if it works for you I would keep at it, and not mess to much with it :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.