Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BeckieLynn55

Insulin needs doubled+ in one day! (27 weeks)

BeckieLynn55

I knew that my insulin needs would constantly be changing. However, I was quite surprised that on Friday? My blood sugars were fine (basal of roughly 0.9 overnight) but by Saturday, I had to give myself an additional 10 units throughout the night just to get back under 95. I first thought it was the meal or infusion set or insulin (changed everything - ate low carb dinners since for an early dinners and was under control before going to bed) but the same story - 3 nights in a row. It's Wednesday/Thursday morning I increased my basal to 1.9 and it still wasn't enough. (Just woke up with a reading of 225). My insulin needs during the day have only fluctuated minor and only during some times of the day.

Point of this story is that I knew it would be changing, but I had no idea that this would happen so drastically and so quickly! Anyone else have anything similar happen? Should I expect more of these drastic changes?

DeusXM

I am no expert at all on pregnancy but I would imagine you could see some pretty dramatic changes as a result of hormones and demands on your body.

Or it might be something rather mundane like an issue with your pump set, or the insulin, or even a low-level infection.

Stl-T2

Be careful when you start a new batch of insulin.  If this is due to the insulin deteriorating and the new batch hasn't at all, I would think you might easily get too much. But I'm a T2, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

BeckieLynn55

Thanks for the suggestions, but it's not the insulin or infusion set or anything. When I wrote "I changed everything" this included all of that! The insulin also works fine during the day but at night it gets crazy! Thought it was just odd.

I talked to my doc today at my appointment and be said its very abnormal especially for night time only but he's heard if crazier things, too!

Mjmomma83

It's extremely common to start needing more insulin from the second trimester into the 3rd. Best thing to do is to raise your basal rates and talk with your provider.

When I hit 22 weeks I had to increase all my basal rates 50%.

KelliMax

That sucks! Don't blame yourself, you are trying!  Pregnancy is complicated, you think you have it figured out and then things change with no explanation.  The only things I might consider are insulin resistance, even though that is some crazy resistance all at once... or maybe the infusion site is just not absorbing the insulin as well as other spots.  I am 32 weeks now and my resistance is easing up a little so things are more regular... I'm sure that won't last long, but the break is nice

LellyBelly

This type of weird stuff is happening to me too! My biggest changes happened at the beginning, then again right at 20 weeks.... Where the needs doubled overnight. I had another weird situation where from 7am to 10am my blood sugar would go up to 200+ when I had done nothing differently , and I had to change the basal rate

Deborah233

if take more insulin if my blood sugar level is higher than it ought to be, but if you haven't been taught about the relationship between sugar levels and the amount of insulin needed to reduce it, I'd advise you NOT to do so. (I make minor adjustments on a day to day basis, but that is all to do with having quite precise requirements and better glucose control.)

BeckieLynn55

Deborah, I know very well how to make adjustments. Its all math - with a BS in Math and a MS in Engineering, it's a fun math problem for me... if my insulin needs would only stay consistent, I could collect more data though. Soon... I'm postpartum now and waiting until my needs are mostly steady again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.