Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lauris

I just got diagnosed

Lauris

Hi my name is Laura I am 27 weeks, yesterday i went to my 3 hours test, after i leave the clinic they call me and said my test was positive for gestional diabetis, and told me to came back on friday. I am afraid and confuse they did not gave me any explanations or told me what that is. Also I am confused because i had read online that if your test got possitive it does not mean you got gestional diabetis it means you need more tests to see if you really have it. Can somebody give me some advise about what to expect? Do i need more tests? What worries me the most is how this will affect my baby :-(

Marc3565

This is really not my area. But keep coming back here. You will get a lot of helpful advice. There are so many different complications that can occur with pregnancy. I suspect this is one more manageable than most. Once you learn and understand more the stress and fear should ease.

Ela

Hi Laura and welcome to the forum!

Sorry you have to join us but good that you're here!  I didn't have gestational diabetes with my pregnancies but just the regular one later in life.  So I really don't have any experience.  But I know that you're not unique and there were/are other ladies in your situation and most of them were able to deliver healthy babies.  I hope some of them will chime in with more info for you!

Meanwhile read the history on this forum and keep posting.

Good luck and hugs!

ALattimore

You don't have to worry if you have diabetis still you can bear a normal pregnancy. Only you have to take extra precautions that's it. Breastfeeding is also plays an important role in it.  For more details visit www.hugabub.com/flex/the-hugabub-traditional-ring-sling/167/1.

moneymeister

Hey Lauris,

When a mother to be experiences gestational diabetes, it means her pancreas can't quite keep up with the insulin needs of you and the baby. Often after pregnancy you will no longer be diabetic. However, you will want to keep an eye on your sugar as you age to make sure you don't someday develop Type 2 diabetes.

On Friday they will take time to explain what you need to do and give you a diet to follow. You will need to cut complex carbs and eat lots of greens and healthy vegatables. Starches will effect your blood sugar as well as direct sugar or sweets like donuts. You will need to get a blood sugar meter and test strips. I like the Relion at Walmart. 50 test strips are 9.00 (cheap!). You can test your blood and learn how your foods effect your blood sugar numbers.

They will explain more on Friday. You and the baby will be fine, this happens to many mothers. You WILL need to follow directions though!

Congrats on the pregnancy!

Laura

Every dia

cottney

Laura - 

I had GD with my first and I was able to control it completely with diet. I had a healthy, 6 lb 9 oz baby girl, unmedicated and tested my sugars the next day after eating a big bowl of cereal (way over the previous 30 g carb limit I had for breakfast during pregnancy) and I tested within normal range. 

I remember being frustrated, scared, and angry. I had none of the risk factors associated with GD. Then I found out that my dad had been diagnosed with Type 2. Now I try to maintain healthy habits and I am pregnant with my 2nd. Hoping to avoid GD in pregnancy #2 and hoping for some help with that on this forum.

Good luck and keep you head up. Stressing out over it makes it worse. Just do what you can with what you have to make sure that you and baby are healthy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.