Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rfrankr

can you have too much flax seed??

rfrankr

Flax meal bread has been kind of a staple for me for a while now. 3 to 4 times a week I take two sandwiches to work consisting of probably 3/4 cup flax meal for the two sandwiches. I don't get any intestinal distress from them. Do any of you think you long term problems with that much flax seed?

samuraiguy

If you are looking to lose or maintain weight realize they are mostly fat--albeit healthy fat, but still fat--and very high in calories per portion (1/4 cup is over 200 calories).

dowling gram

If you are looking to lose or maintain weight realize they are mostly fat--albeit healthy fat, but still fat--and very high in calories per portion (1/4 cup is over 200 calories).

Flax is what helps me maintain my weight. I was losing too much weight because my diet was too low in calories. I am not a great meat eater and with 23 G of protein in 1/2 cup flax fills the gap. Yes it is high in fat but that's a good thing for us.It is also  high in Omega 3 and other vitamins and minerals and to my mind that adds up to good nutrition. I think if you have no problem with the high amount of fiber causing intestinal distress it is good for you but I would not carry eating it to excess because then that much fiber may cause a problem

jwags

Flaxseed is almost all fiber, so I doubt it would make you fat. I do notice with flaxseed I am always very regular. That keeps my weight in normal ranges. Normally after a bowl of flaxseed porridge my bg is 100. I put extra butter and sf syrup on top too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.