Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JE101

Struggling with regular hypos :-(

JE101

Hi,

It's been a while since I last posted, and it has been a bit of a roller-coaster since then. Back in May I had a pregnancy of unknown location, which was really tough to go through. I then discovered I was pregnant again in June (just a month and a half later!), and am now 12 weeks along.

I'm on a Minimed pump, and I've been working really hard to avoid high blood sugars (my last HbA1c back in July was 6.0%, which I thought was pretty good), but this has had the knock-on effect that I'm having quite a lot of lows these days, and am just feeling like a bit of a failure just now ;-(. Feeling really rubbish today because I woke up to my husband trying to get me to drink a can of sprite this morning because I'd gone low during the night :-( Just feeling a bit down right now, and could really do with some support. I'm doing my best to try to balance everything, but it seems like there's never a perfect balance, and now I'm terrified that recurrent lows are going to have had a damaging effect on the baby.

Sorry to sound like such a moan, but am just feeling like such a failure right now, and am really worried that no matter what I do, I'm somehow harming this little bean.

Would love to hear some encouraging stories just now!

NoraWI

Why don't you raise your nighttime basal on the pump a click or two starting 2 hours before you usually go low? That won't affect your overall BG much but may help you avoid lows at night.

Stl-T2

I have faith that you are doing the absolute best you can for your little one.  Hugs to you for all you've been through!

Tanikit

Lows are very common in pregnancies starting usually around 10 weeks and running through to about 14-16 weeks (although I continued to experience bad lows til 18 weeks in my second pregnancy).  As for recurring lows damaging a baby - they don't. I have two children, with whom I had very severe lows during both pregnancies - the second pregnancy the ambulance was out to treat the severe lows three times and I was going low (below 36) a few times daily. My children are both perfectly healthy - the way they can be harmed by such severe lows would have occurred had I crashed the car or drowned or done something that would have caused physical injury to me (both of which were a big concern of mine at the time.)

Hang in there - your hba1c is good and you are doing the best for your baby. Lower the basal rate a bit but know that in a few weeks time you will need to start raising it all over again and usually you need to keep raising it til the end of pregnancy - these weeks (10-14) are a little like the honeymoon phase before the insulin resistance of pregnancy kicks in. 

JE101

Thanks very much for your comments. I'm definitely working on reducing my basal rates overnight, but it seems like things change so quickly that I make a change and it's either not enough or too much, but working on it. Reduced my rates last night and things went a bit better, but still woke up with a 3.4mmol/l.

Tanikit, that's really encouraging that things went well for you with both pregnancies, it gives me hope!

I have my 12-week scan today, so keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best! :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.