Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

allie008

Diet works!

allie008

I went to my dr yesterday after following the DASH Diet plan for the past 6 months. The only thing I do significantly differently is lower/moderate carb - no pasta & rice & only low carb/high fiber wraps instead of bread. I was dx with diabetes in Feb and it was a big wake up call. I've lost 70 lbs (still have about 30 to go).  My cholesterol has dropped 100 points and my blood pressure is now usually around 114/74. But best of all - my A1C went from 7.5 to 5.3 (I am on metformin as well). I'm mostly a lurker on this site but I want you to know that I do read a lot of your posts and those of you that are controlling this  through diet and exercise are inspirational and help a lot of us - even people like me who don't post often. Thank you. 

mzteacher

Congratulation on all this success! Well done.

Continued good luck to  you. Might be time to come more and inspire ind encourage others  :)

Weezy

FABULOUS!  Congrats on taking control!  I agree with the posts above....you are definitely an inspiration to others!

Uff Da

Holy schmoly!

1. Lost 70 pounds

2. A1c from 7.5 to 5.3

3. 100 points drop in cholesterol

4. Blood pressure under control

And all in just six months!  That's incredible!  Yes, that would definitely be an inspiration to others.  By all means, you need to come out of hiding more often!

samuraiguy

Congrats, I can give an Amen because after I found out the ADA diet plan wasn't going to help me reach my health goals I went on the DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution and along with exercise lost 175 pounds, went off BP meds and got my lipid panel to excellent and my liver panel back to normal after a decade of near cirrhotic fatty liver. I can adapt the DASH Diet foods to any eating plan and like it's flexibility.

allie008

Ok - I can comment more often, thanks :) Samuariguy, I have read many of your posts and your story is amazing. I follow that same plan - not at 10,000 steps a day but I do get to the gym 4-5 days a week for a mix of cardio and weights. In some ways this diagnosis was a blessing because without it I might have gone on the way that I was and I was killing myself.It was the medical Aha Moment that gave me the kick I needed.When I was at the dr yesterday she kept saying "your diabetes is GONE" and I had to keep telling her, "No, my diabetes is CONTROLLED - it will never be gone which is why I have to keep doing this plan." I hope most drs don't phrase it that way - it could lead to a lot of bad habits returning! 

Weezy

Ok - I can comment more often, thanks :) Samuariguy, I have read many of your posts and your story is amazing. I follow that same plan - not at 10,000 steps a day but I do get to the gym 4-5 days a week for a mix of cardio and weights. In some ways this diagnosis was a blessing because without it I might have gone on the way that I was and I was killing myself.It was the medical Aha Moment that gave me the kick I needed.When I was at the dr yesterday she kept saying "your diabetes is GONE" and I had to keep telling her, "No, my diabetes is CONTROLLED - it will never be gone which is why I have to keep doing this plan." I hope most drs don't phrase it that way - it could lead to a lot of bad habits returning! 

You are SOOOOO right, Allie...our diabetes is CONTROLLED, not gone.  I hate it when docs do that!  I had an endo completely ignore the reason I went to see him simply because my A1C was 5.7...and I was taking the max metformin and eating very low carb/high fat AND exercising my brains out AND keeping calories below 1000 a day.  He couldn't see any problem with my A1C going from 4.9 to 5.3 to 5.7 when I was working so hard to control it.  Stupid man!  I never went back to him.

Good for you for knowing not to listen to statements like that from your doctor and for knowing what you need to do (and having the courage to do it). 

Deborah233

Well the diabetic diet is a myth. ( see myth 4 on the American Diabetes Association website below ). And it's usually not sugar that is the problem but carbohydrates, indeed many diabetic recipes use sugar, there are even diabetic christmas cookies that replace some of the flour with almond paste, almond paste is 50% sugar. A baked potato converts to glucose faster than table sugar.

A lot will depend on what his treatments are and they can vary widely for type 2. If he is not on insulin or are just on a basal insulin like Lantus, Levelin or NPH then he may be able to benefit from smaller, more frequent meals and lower glycemic index foods. The idea being that the glucose is spread out over a large amount of time so that it's within the ability of his pancreas to account for. If he is on the full basal/bolus insulin treatment where he not only receives basal insulin but also injects fast acting Bolus insulin like Novolin or type R just before each meal then frequent meals would only mean more shots, and lower glycemic foods may stretch the glucose out beyond the duration of his bolus shot and therefore require either more shots or a different insulin mix. If he is using a pump, the pump can be programmed with whatever bolus duration is needed whenever needed so he could again benefit from spreading out the load.

control

Well the diabetic diet is a myth. ( see myth 4 on the American Diabetes Association website below ). And it's usually not sugar that is the problem but carbohydrates, indeed many diabetic recipes use sugar

When you say things like this, it makes me wonder exactly how much you truly know about diabetes.  Sugar is a carbohydrate. 

As for diabetic recipes...most of them are not as diabetic friendly as they tout to be.  The ones in diabetes magazines are absolutely horrible.  Many of the diabetes magazines have cakes and cookies and pies on the front cover.  Just because they are in print, doesn't mean that they are acceptable for proper diabetes management or to be used as reliable examples of eating low carb. 

Regarding the ADA:  I wouldn't trust a single thing they say without independent verification from an external, peer reviewed source.  In all my years as a diabetic, they have demonstrated as much credibility as those gossip rags at the checkout counters of supermarkets. 

dowling gram

Well the diabetic diet is a myth. ( see myth 4 on the American Diabetes Association website below ). And it's usually not sugar that is the problem but carbohydrates, indeed many diabetic recipes use sugar, there are even diabetic christmas cookies that replace some of the flour with almond paste, almond paste is 50% sugar. A baked potato converts to glucose faster than table sugar.

A lot will depend on what his treatments are and they can vary widely for type 2. If he is not on insulin or are just on a basal insulin like Lantus, Levelin or NPH then he may be able to benefit from smaller, more frequent meals and lower glycemic index foods. The idea being that the glucose is spread out over a large amount of time so that it's within the ability of his pancreas to account for. If he is on the full basal/bolus insulin treatment where he not only receives basal insulin but also injects fast acting Bolus insulin like Novolin or type R just before each meal then frequent meals would only mean more shots, and lower glycemic foods may stretch the glucose out beyond the duration of his bolus shot and therefore require either more shots or a different insulin mix. If he is using a pump, the pump can be programmed with whatever bolus duration is needed whenever needed so he could again benefit from spreading out the load.

If you are using the ADA as a guide you are getting a lot of misinformation.

I refute the fact that potatoes convert to glucose faster than sugar. Sugar is a simple carbohydrate and as such goes directly to the blood stream. Potatoes are a complex carbohydrate that contains fiber which slows down the rate it goes into the blood stream.

None of my low carb Christmas recipes contain sugar. I make things with sugar for my family but all my treats are low carb. I never did use almond paste even pre diabetes so I don't care how much sugar is in it..

It's not true that many low carb recipes contain sugar . Throw out that ADA garbage and have a look around at low carb recipe sites like " all day i dream about food" She gives a nutrition chart at the bottom of her recipes. I have made many of them with no or minimal rise in Blood glucose.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.