Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phox01

False hpt with high bs levels?

Phox01

I was just wondering if it is comon to get a false negative if your sugar levels are too high. I have pcos, but I would have really long periods.

I spotted from aug 16-19 (18th was a little heavy when I first woke) I thought I was about to start but that was it. Timing puts me at implantaion about 13-14 days (if I am pregnant). First day of last period was July 8th. I have taken 4 test and all have come back negative. Throught out the month of August, I have felt sick, cramping, sore boobs, little gassy, heavy cm at least once a day, and the first few weeks I was burping like crazy. Now the first 3 symptoms is normal pms symptoms, having it all month long is not normal for me.

My bs is out of control and I am trying to get a hold of it through diet, but tight budget is making that a bit hard at the moment.

I am gonna make an appointment when the dr offices are open (not sure if they will be during the holiday), but I'm wondering if this is just in my head, am I pregnant, or is there something wrong with me.

Thanks ahead of time for sharing your xp with me. :)

moneymeister

Phox01, you may be pregnant. I have never heard of a high bs false positive.

What part of close control is too financially challenging? if you don't mind my intrusive question. I am a single mom and my budget is TIGHT. I may be able to give you a couple of ideas I learned on here on caring for Type2 on the cheap.. Do you test? Do you know how your sugar has been running?

Phox01

Purchasing fruits and veggies are hard with limited food budget, to make my budget stretch, I have had to by stuff like romin noodles. I hate the idea of eating thay way, but no choice at the moment. I have been testing once a day and it's been around 200.

moneymeister

I look forward to hearing what the doctor says. Throwing you luck!

Testing: It's really hard trying to take care of yourself on a tight budget. For test strips, I use the relion brand strips from Walmart (9 bucks for 50). I have a script that I can get for about the same amount of money, but getting ENOUGH is like pulling teeth...just easier to pick up the strips for my situation.

So, how to eat low carb on a budget? I make alot of soup from cheap chicken (thighs, legs) and instead of noodles, use cabbage and celery and onion and a pack of frozen veggies. This costs 6-7 bucks for a gallon or two - it lasts! Also I make a good deal of chili. Hotdogs can be a cheap grab (no bun, no ketchup) and egg omelet every morning with shredded cheese. Quiche (eggs and cheese and bacon and whatever else you have around). Eggs are REALLY cheap. Tuna salad, surf the mark down meat at the grocer's (I got a pack of thighs for .25 the other day...). Starches are cheap, I totally understand that, but your toes and eyes are irreplaceable. The cost of treating an infection or not being able to see to drive to work will hurt you too. :(

Check with social services and see if there are any programs that can help, too.

When I was first diagnosed, I was too tired to cook. Now I cook at least once a week and eat it for a few days...I have more energy now.

I get my prescriptions from Costco. You don't need to be a member. My metformin for 3 months was only 13.00 (I take extended release) and the BP meds are cheap too. I take a baby aspirin a day. 

Ela

Hey Phox01 and welcome to the forum!

I can't really say if you're pregnant or not and you'll find out soon enough from your doctor.  However, are you overweight?  Because in some extreme cases body stops doing it's regular thing menses wise.

Laura gave you good suggestions on a menu.  I'll just add that you do NOT NEED to buy fruit!  Fruit is just as evil for most diabetics as bread ....well, for me it's worse.  Vegetables on the other hand are not extremely expensive.  Like green beans you can buy really cheap (and even from the can) or cabbage or even broccoli and lettuce.  Ramen noodles though...look, they are not healthy for anybody, but I personally used to LOVE them, still do.  But at least to bring your blood sugar under control you can still use the broth to make a soup with some veggies in it instead of noodles - or just add a boil egg to it or make an "egg drop" soup.  

Phox01

I am overwieght, I have pcos as well. My normal cycle is 9+ days and there are times when I have multiple cycles during a single month, however June and July was my normal cycle before I started having issuse years ago. I know there is no way for anyone here to tell me that I am or not pregnant. I was just looking for others that might have had the same issue.

funkynassau

Please dont eat ramen noodles, they are so unhealthy for anyone.  The sodium is thru the roof and the carbs are huge.

As others have said, check the marked down produce in your grocery store, shop the specials, buy frozen veggies.  Make that big pot of soup, freeze some for another day.  Chicken legs or thighs can be pretty cheap.  Try to really cool it with the carbs.  Dried herbs and spices can add great flavour to soup or anything else you  make.

moneymeister

I get a MONSTER sized bag of broccoli/cauli at Costco for 5.50 and a whole roasted chicken for 5 bucks. I can eat well on that. I am able to eat corn tortillas okay (moderate amount) and make tacos. I grew my own veggies. You could grow cherry tomatoes in a pot. Not sure how much all this will help, but I will tell you this. If you have a little baby growing in you, you'll need to change to veggies and meat. If your sugar is high during a pregnancy, the baby can become gi-normous. That's going to be important. I wish you loads of luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.